HELP! Converting DVCPRO HD 720p50 to use on PC at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old June 17th, 2010, 09:55 PM   #1
Major Player

HELP! Converting DVCPRO HD 720p50 to use on PC

Hi there everyone,

My apologies if this has been answered before, but I'm in an emergency edit session and trying to convert and edit some DVCPRO HD 720p footage (.mov files taken on a JVC Camera of some sort).

Easy on a Mac I'm told, but I'm using Adobe Premiere CS3 (Matrox accelerated) on a PC.

I've tried every conversion tool I can find on Google, even Canopus Procoder - all without success.

Quicktime plays the audio - but black video.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
John Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2010, 09:26 PM   #2
Regular Crew

You need a decoder before you can transcode it to anything. DVfilms makes one called Raylight Decoder. I use it and it works great. It's $45 bucks US but it's worth it.

Raylight Decoder, DVCProHD and DVCPro50 Quicktime for Windows - Now Only $45

If you have access to a Mac you could install MpegStreamclip, a free transcoding software, and trascode it to an avi file that's more PC friendly. They have a PC version as well for transcoding but as I said, you need a decoder first.

Hope that helps.
Chad Haufschild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2010, 10:39 PM   #3
Trustee

JVC does not do DVCPRO HD. It does HDV, right?

Why do you want to convert it? Both Mac and CS3 can take in direct HDV or DVCPRO HD, so what's the issue?
Old July 12th, 2010, 11:25 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Sareesh, I'm guessing John meant Panasonic camera. You're correct that JVC doesn't shoot DVCPRO of any flavor.

CS3 on PC (Windows) doesn't play well with Panasonic's codec. The decoder/encoder is built into Mac so it's fine there on both FCP and PPro. Windows doesn't. Have to buy a decoder. At least I haven't found a free on yet.

Let me know if I'm mistaken. I'd love to have a free decoder/encoder for Windows.
Chad Haufschild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2010, 01:04 PM   #5
Wrangler

Moving this thread to a Panasonic forum.
Old July 16th, 2010, 07:00 AM   #6
Major Player

He mentioned Canopus Procoder ... if he has Canopus EDIUS installed - no problems. NO conversion required at all.
TingSern Wong is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders