35mm adapter with the HPX 300 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old September 3rd, 2010, 11:14 AM   #1
Regular Crew

35mm adapter with the HPX 300

I have been thinking of experimenting with a 35mm adapter for my HPX 300. I don't know anything about it. I have seen a few old post for 35mm adapters. Does anyone have any suggestions? Someone suggested the RNG35 with a Nikon 50mm. I have been searching that combination. I have seen some footage with this and it looks nice. I have an average skill level but hopefully I can create the same effects.

Thanks
Art
Art White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2010, 11:21 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi Art:

Not sure what the RNG35 is but with a camera like the 300, you need a relay lens behind a 35mm adapter. When all is said and done, it isn't a cheap setup but I have seen some really nice footage shot that way. Check out the Letus line of relay lenses and adapters, they are excellent.

http://www.letusdirect.com/third-inch-relay.html

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2010, 03:36 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hello Dan,
I guess they don't give those away, huh? Pretty expensive experiment. Here's a photo of the RNG35, I think:

IMG_9688 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Gucci Shades (music video) - Panasonic HPX 300 on Vimeo

Thanks for your info. It helps with the research.

Art
Old September 7th, 2010, 04:17 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Art,

Letus has three different model DOF adapters, starting around $1K or so, but you need to use a relay lens for best results. I have mounted one of my Letus Ultimate's on the end of the stock ENG zoom with an HPX300 and it wasn't terrible, but you lose light, have a very unwieldy size.

The HPX300 is a great camera, but the one aspect that I find the least appealing is the deep DOF you get with the 1/3" sensors. A DOF adapter can literally transform the camera. It's a bit expensive, especially if you don't own any manual 35mm SLR lenses already, but really not that much more than a Canon 5D with shoulder mount/rod support/counter balance/handles setup. Or you could wait for the new Panasonic AG-AF100 4/3" camera at the end of the year for $6K.

Jeff Regan
Shooting Star Video
Jeff Regan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2010, 08:47 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks Jeff,
Don't think I'll be getting any new cameras for about a decade! I don't think I'll be able to experiment unless I can borrow/rent that set up. Do you have any samples of yours?

Art
Old September 16th, 2010, 06:28 PM   #6
Regular Crew

This is one combination that has been explained to me:

HVX300 CAMERA + FUJI LENS + ANY STEP UP/STEP DOWN RINGS NEEDED + 35mm ADAPTER + F-MOUNT ADAPTER + NIKON (F-MOUNT) 50mm f/1.8 LENS
Old September 16th, 2010, 08:15 PM   #7
Inner Circle

That will work great. If you don't mind your rig turning into an ungainly front heavy 30" long Bazooka that rates out at about ISO 200. Even my HVX200, when it was all loaded up with my Letus Extreme with a Nikon long lens on it was approaching 28" long and weighed about 19lbs. So add more length and more weight to what your 300 would be.

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2010, 11:23 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Kinda what I thought...even not knowing anything about it.
Art White is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders