Using camera to playback on HDTV at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old July 31st, 2005, 11:46 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Using camera to playback on HDTV

Would there be anyway to use this camera as an HD playback device and hook it up to an HDTV to actually watch the stuff on your home theater system.

If I shot a short film using the DVCPRO-HD codec and edited it all together, it would be nice to see it in "HD" on my nice HD Plasma home theater system. I don't have blue-ray or HD-DVD players or HD Tape Decks or anything so the only way I could do it is if I could use the camera as a playback device. Is that possible? Put the edited content onto a P2 card? Anything like that?

Or could I only playback the original raw footage from the P2 cards (I'm assuming I could do that).

Brian
Brian Petersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2005, 12:09 AM   #2
Regular Crew

With the D4 HD component output on the HVX, you should be able to play out to your HDTV no problem. You'll just need the D4 to component cable.

-CJ
CJ Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2005, 02:02 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Petersen

Or could I only playback the original raw footage from the P2 cards (I'm assuming I could do that).

Brian
Here in the UK, where I live, the Panasonic Viera range of HDTVs come equipped with SD and PC card slots. I too have wondered if they will play captured P2 footage just popped into the slot. SD cards work fine.
David Andrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2005, 10:49 AM   #4
Regular Crew

But is it possible to transfer edited content from say Final Cut Pro HD onto a P2 card and them play from the camera?

Or say use the firewire port to play from a hardrive, through the camera, out the component ports. (I can't imagine that is possible).
Brian Petersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2005, 07:09 PM   #5
Barry Wan Kenobi

You can do that from FCP to the AJ-HD1200A deck. Can't see why you couldn't do that on the HVX as well... I mean, that's how we use it to view DV material, and DVCPRO-HD is based at its core on the same DV type of technology. You'll never be able to firewire-preview HDV, that's for sure, but with DVCPRO-HD it should be possible.
Barry Green is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders