Panasonic AG-HVX201AE P2 or Panasonic AG-AF1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old November 15th, 2010, 06:47 AM   #1
New Boot

Panasonic AG-HVX201AE P2 or Panasonic AG-AF1

Hi all , i need to help here, I want to upgrade to a new Panasonic, and i don't know which is best for me. Its between these two cameras, Panasonic AG-AF101 or Panasonic AG-HVX201AE P2 .

I have always liked the Panasonic AG-HVX201AE P2, and a lot of people that work in the same line as me use this camera , But lately more and more of these people have started to film using the new DSLR range, So much , that i have had to buy a Canon 7d to keep up with it.

Now i want to upgrade my HDV Camcorder too. I have a canon 7d with three Canon lens , 20mm , 50mm and the 28mm / 135mm .

I want to buy one more lens for this setup , But its all down to money, I have been reading a lot about the Panasonic AG-AF101 and its good to hear that i can use these lens on the Panasonic AG-AF101. But is it worth me buying one ? AS you can see i have the canon for the DOF effect , and will it be better for me to keep on the Pro Camcorder line and buy the Panasonic AG-HVX201AE P2 ?

Reason of , sometimes i need to use the zoom etc ,

Or is this camera being left be hide now with the launch of the Panasonic AG-AF101. This upgrade is very important as i can see myself changing cameras again for a number of years.

I will be using the cameras for creative work, as well as products videos too ,

Any help on this would be a great help.
Lee Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2010, 02:32 PM   #2
Major Player

If I was in your shoes I'd go for the AF101 with out question for a number of reasons. But the foremost is that the HVX200 is an outdated camera (not saying unusable here). I just don't understand your sentence: "This upgrade is very important as i can see myself changing cameras again for a number of years. ". Did you mean to say that you don't see your self changing cameras again for a number of years?

Anyway, while the HVX is still a useful cam it's got a low res ccd block and an abbreviating codec but you could get a used one quite cheap. The difference in picture quality is if you ask me night and day between this two cams.

It mostly depends on what you wanna do with the camera. But just from the financial point of view buying a HVX200 is trowing money away. I don't know who would wanna buy a HVX in let's say 2 years from now... You would essentially be stuck with it or forced to sell it for little money.

Off course there is a lot more to this discussion and if you wanna go in to details your gonna have to be more specific about your plans and the type of production planned for this camera.
Sanjin Svajger is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders