pricing on DVX when HVX comes out at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old August 7th, 2005, 12:51 AM   #1
New Boot

pricing on DVX when HVX comes out

Basically this thread is about what will happen to pricing on the DVX100A when the HVX200 comes out.

I just sold my XL1 so that I could upgrade to the DVX100A. I'm wondering if I should get one now, or if I could potrntially save a significant amount of money by waiting till the HVX200 comes out and the price drops a bit on the DVX100A.

on one hand, it would make sence that the price would drop some amount seeing as how the HVX200 is somewhat of a newer/updated DVX100A.

on the other hand - the HVX200 seems so far out of the DVX100A's price range that the consumer market may consider the cameras in seperate classes (consumer, prosumer, professiona, etc) leaving the cameras as non-competitors - hence keeping the price fairly close if not the same to what it was at before the HVX200 comes out.

I guess more simply-put - it may not be considered an 'upgraded' DVX100A. It may be considered a new type of camera. In that case, the price on the DVX100A probobly won't drop much.

Anyway, lets hear your opinions.
-Jeff
Old August 7th, 2005, 01:21 AM   #2
Barry Wan Kenobi

Actually the HVX should have no impact on the price of the new DVX. As for used DVXes, yes, I would imagine that more would come on the market as people sell them to trade up to an HVX.

Panasonic has said that the DVX is a current model and will continue to be a current model, and that both lines will be sold side-by-side.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2005, 07:47 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Weren't there also rumours that they would bring out a little updated version of the DVX too?
Or am I incorrect?
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2005, 01:42 PM   #4
New Boot

I heard that Panasoniime tc will be coming out with a DVX100B around the same that they release the HVX200. I don't know if it's true or not. I haven't corfirmed this. It's just what I heard.

What do you guys think the street price for the HVX will be? will it really be between 5 and 6 k? I've never made any movies or anything, and if I do it would be pretty low budget.. out of my own pocket. What do you guys suggest? I'd love to make some friends in the business/hobby so that I can learn about how everything works.

I do graphic design, and alot of web development for bands. A friend of mine and I own Embraced Design Collective (www.embraced-dc.com). I've been thinking for a while about including music video production in our services. Do you guys think that it could be worth the money for me to get an HVX? Or should I save a few thousand and go with the DVX100X? I would be using the camera with the Guerilla35 35MM lens adaptor. Anyway, if anyone wants to talk with me at all you can

email me - jeff at embraced-dc.com
or
AOL Instant Messager = JeffEmbracedDc
or
Yahoo Messenger = embraceddc

Talk to you guys later.
-Jeff
Old August 8th, 2005, 12:47 AM   #5
Barry Wan Kenobi

There has been talk of a DVX100B, yes. Last thing that was said was "September". But nothing different has been confirmed about it other than that it's a different color, and that it uses a new manufacturing process to eliminate lead.

As for street price of the HVX, pre-sellers are asking $5795.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2005, 02:22 AM   #6
Major Player

Hey Jeff,

I agree with the replies here. I wouldn't think that the price of the 100XA would drop too much as a result of a new Panny HD camera release. This is normally the case with computers and cars, but it doesn't seem to affect the proconsumer camera market as much. As said, these are concurrent formats, not mutually exclusive formats.

Also, as a personal aside my dad always advised me NEVER to buy a first generation anything. The manufacturers need at least one year of production to figure out the bugs. I'll be using my 100-XA for another year or so as a result.

See ya in the posts,

Steph

Please use spell check in the future. It will help your posts look more professional... Just a thought and a good habit to develop. Don't mean to be critical.

Last edited by Stephanie Wilson; August 8th, 2005 at 02:28 AM. Reason: addition
Stephanie Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2005, 11:23 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I wouldn't be surprised to see a price drop on the DVX. I talked with a Panasonic Rep and he said DVX sales have dropped dramatically since the announcement of the HVX. After all the HVX will be able to shoot SD DV just like the DVX with the added bonus of true widescreen CCDs and HD for those willing to fork over $$$ for the recording medium(s).
Kenn Christenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2005, 03:26 PM   #8
Trustee

The MSRP may drop, but not the street price, not much anyway. You can find a DVX for $2750 all in... that is still less than HALF the street of the HVX.

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders