Variable frame rates in DV to P2? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old August 29th, 2005, 09:01 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Variable frame rates in DV to P2?

Would it be possible to shoot at any of the variable frame rates besides 480/24P and 480/30P straight to the P2 cards? And since it'd be going to the P2 cards wouldn't 480/60P be possible, instead of just 480/60i?
Old August 29th, 2005, 11:05 AM   #2
Barry Wan Kenobi

Yes, sort of. You can shoot in 720p at any of those frame rates, and then downconvert in real-time from the P2 card to the miniDV tape. So you can get the effect of having shot in 480/60p, except that it's translated/downconverted to DV on the tape.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2005, 11:30 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I'm not talking about downconverting 720p to tape. I'm asking would it be possible to shoot at one of the rumored frame rates like 48P, but in 480 resolution to the P2 cards, without tape being involved in the process?

I'm just wondering casue pretty much everything that I would shoot above of 24p, besides some 60i, would be used for slow motion, and staying at 480 resolution would allow me to do this untill I can upgrade to an HD ready edit system.
Old August 29th, 2005, 12:07 PM   #4
Barry Wan Kenobi

The majority of the variable frame rates are only possible in 720p.

In 480p, the only frame rates you have available (technically) are 24p, 30p, and 60i. Using a combination of progressive-scan and slow shutter speeds you can get many more frame rates, but they're all slower: 3p, 4p, 6p, 8p, 12p, and 15p are all possible.

But there are no faster frame rates possible in 480.

As said before, you can get the effect of variable frame rates in a standard-def project by shooting 720p and then downconverting to tape, but that sounds like it's not what you want.

You could always just shoot 720p and down-rez in your editing application to get to 480p...
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2005, 01:09 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Green
You could always just shoot 720p and down-rez in your editing application to get to 480p...
Awesome, thanks for all the info.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders