new to video, bought an HVX200 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old June 28th, 2012, 04:15 PM   #1
Tourist

new to video, bought an HVX200

I'm new to digital video and recently bought a used HVX200 from Adorama for about $1500. It comes with a few batteries, a Pelican carrying case, and an AC adapter, but nothing else. I've been doing a bunch of research to figure out what else I'm going to need in order to be able to use it. So far I've determined I'll need a good tripod, some form of storage, lighting, etc.

One thing that's a major consideration for me is that I have a neurological condition where certain kinds of lights give me seizures. This includes the CCFL backlights on certain kinds of LCD displays, which I've been informed are the kind of backlight used by this camera. Fortunately, as I've found out in my research, I can hook up an external monitor to the camera. I had some questions about this that I was hoping someone could answer.

1. I've seen a few posts where people have mentioned using their computer monitors or laptops as external monitors for their cameras. Does this work for displaying settings menus too, or does it just show what the camera is recording? I'll probably need to be able to do both. Is this something I can do via Firewire to a laptop? Is there a better way to do it? I'm trying to figure out what cables I need to buy.

2. Because I'm just getting into digital video and my budget is limited, I'm looking to start out with equipment that is less expensive and then upgrade as needed. For example, I'm going to mostly be filming shots from fixed camera positions and without any need to pan/tilt while recording. As such, I'm guessing I can start out with a cheaper tripod head and just focus on sticks, is that correct? Any recommendations on an inexpensive setup that would work for a beginner who doesn't need too many features?

3. As I'm sure you know, P2 cards are pretty expensive. If I get a device like the Firestore FS-100, can I avoid buying P2 cards altogether, or does the data need to be written to a P2 card before it is sent to the Firestore? In the former case, can I just record to a laptop? In the latter, does the data copy to the Firestore in real time or does it happen when the card is full (i.e. do I need one P2 card or two for continuous recording?).

Thanks so much in advance for your time and help!
Sacha Moufarrege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2012, 09:20 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: new to video, bought an HVX200

I only shot the HVX200 once about three years:

1. If you go firewire to laptop, It would not show overlay. If you go composite or component out, to a monitor or TV, you should have overlay, with ability to turn off on the camera.

2. Look up WF717 on google. This is a Weifang number, but has different names on it too. Mine happens to be a "Fancier" I paid about $140.00 Serviceable for simple situations. About half way down the page is a video review here: FT-717 A.K.A WF-717 Fluid Head + Tripod Review CheesyCam

3. As I recall, didn't need P2 card. We shot just to Firestore.
Old June 30th, 2012, 04:04 AM   #3
Major Player

I'm coming from HPX171 but mostly it should be true for HVX.

Firewire is a data connection just like usb so I don't think that you can view a live picture. As far as I understand it it's meant only for data transfer. For monitoring you'll have to use component. You can use composite but that's only 720x576 so it's useful only for framing and not for focusing.
I strongly urge you to use component which is HD. I'm sorry but I don't know of any monitor that is suitable for dialectics.

As for the tripod my thoughts are that you'll almost definitely want to pan or tilt. Trust me on this. You won't be doing just static shots. You'll want to go out and shot some birds in the park...I don't know:) but you'll definitely want to pan and tilt. I would buy a manfrotto 501 head. It's cheap but it can be used for panning and tilting and you can get a used one for quite cheap.

And yes you can output OSD via component output. I mean, at least with HPX171 you can. Most cameras can do this... I would advise you to read the manual a bit more thoroughly, as this is all explained in the manual. RTFM
Sanjin Svajger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2012, 07:03 AM   #4
Major Player

Sacha - I chose the

fluid head tripod over the

because it costs less money, is simpler and has better reviews. I recommend it highly.

Good luck with your new video endeavor,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
Bill Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2012, 09:17 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Hi Sacha

I have been using 2 of the sub $200 Weifengs and they are pretty darn good...I love the bowl for levelling!!

The only issues I have had on the one tripod was the handle wingnut broke off so I made up one!! If you get one, grab a spare handle as well from eBay...it makes control a lot better.

My tripods are 3 years old now and still working well..but at that price you could also afford to replace them every couple of years

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders