Formatting P2 cards a bad thing? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old August 20th, 2013, 01:12 PM   #1
Space Hipster

Formatting P2 cards a bad thing?

I was told by a TV news crew that if you keep formatting a P2 card every time you want to start on a new shoot, it will prematurely damage the cards. They said a Panasonic rep told them P2 cards are only good for about 50 or so formattings. They said it was better to just delete each clip.
I always thought you should reformat a P2 card every time you want to start a new project.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2013, 03:07 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Formatting P2 cards a bad thing?

I believe they are confused about the numbers. Yes the E series P2 cards do have a limited lifespan but this chart says if used once full daily they should last 5 years 365x5= 1825. I would worry more about SSD drives and other media first. Don't know if deleting individual clips changes the equation or not.

P2 Card FAQs
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2013, 04:50 PM   #3
Trustee

I have R series cards since 2009. Never a problem formatting.
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2013, 05:46 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Since 1,5 years, frequent use. P2 formatting software doesn't indicate any decrease of lifespan.
Jan Luethje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2013, 08:46 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I always format P2 cards on the MSU10, PCD1 or other dedicated reader. It's too tedious of having to manually delete each of the folder in the CONTENTS master folder. The MSU10 has a system log and I've formatted over 680 times since 2011 for one of the 12 64 Gb cards that I used. It doesn't make any dent on the life span status display on the P2 Formatter app for Mac or PC. It'll be likely that card will be obsolete before you can use all of its read/write cycles. By then probably Class 4:4:4:4 w/ 400 Mb/s P2 cards will be out and you'll likely get rid of the old 100-200 Mb/s P2 cards by then.
Sam Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2013, 03:05 AM   #6
Trustee

Just deleting clips does not re-set the directory structure so a re-format is always the best option before re-using a card. Mine are now over four years old and not a single problem or dropped frame in that time.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders