Laptop Capture - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old October 8th, 2005, 10:12 AM   #16
Regular Crew

From the press release: "The FireStore FS-100 for the HVX200 is expected to be available in March 2006, and price will be less than $2,000." For the full text please have a look here: http://www.focusinfo.com/corporate/p...apUp091905.htm.
Robert Niemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2005, 11:54 AM   #17
Major Player

Yes, and if the new Firestore is anything like the FS-4, it will have a removable battery pack, so you will be able to have a 90-minute run time per battery.

Focus Enhancements has also pegged the price of the HVX compatable Firestore somewhere south of $2000.

You should also have an optional mounting kit that connects to the hot shoe on top of the handle, like the FS-4. You should be able to keep the balance centered enough to operate the HVX on a stabilizer with Firestore as one connected unit.
Scott Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2005, 07:51 PM   #18
Regular Crew

upgrade laptop to 7200 hdd?

1. Is it possible to upgrade the Powerbook G4 laptop (best model) to a fast 7200 ATA drive that would make this scenario (capturing from the HVX200 directly on the laptop) possible? Anything on the market that might fit this problem and solve it?

2. In case the above isn't possible, are there firewire 7200 drives that are completely mobile (don't require separate power)? Or, at least, can be powered by a mobile, effective device - such as a high-capacity battery belt or something.

Just asking... would like to investigate all the options/solutions.

PS I would definitely buy the HVX - but not with the P2 cards. I'd need to sell my DVX100 (a beautiful thing working perfectly) AND put way more money to buy two memory cards that can hold only 16minutes and will drop in price like crazy in no time. I'd better give my DVX away to some poor student. And the Firestore is coming all the way in March...
Mike Medavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2005, 12:51 AM   #19
Major Player

Laptop drives generally aren't fast enough, however according to barefeats.com the Segate Momentus 7200.1 2.5" drive can sustain a transfer rate of at least 31MBytes/s. This leaves plenty of headroom for 100Mbit DVCPro HD.

It's a major job to take apart a PowerBook and replace the HD, and I doubt Apple use the Segate Momentus as their stock upgrade drive. But the Momentus drive does even better in a FW800 case. So, with a G4 laptop and a Segate Momentus 7200.1 in a portable FW800 case you could capture from the HVX200.

Just to be clear, though, you can't capture directly from the camera to the HD.
Old October 13th, 2005, 09:49 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Leith
Just to be clear, though, you can't capture directly from the camera to the HD.
No, but you could run it directly into FCP or Avid on the G4 and record on the fly, right?
Old October 14th, 2005, 02:39 AM   #21
Major Player

Yes. You can capture directly into FCP or whatever over firewire. And although it never used to be recommended, I've never had a problem daisy chaining the camera into the HDD into a PowerBook and capturing onto the HDD (although I've only tried DV25).

I guess if you had a 15" or 17" Powerbook with FW800 then you wouldn't even need to daisy chain them... Although 2.5" FW800 enclosures seem pretty pricey!

I keep trying to think of solutions that wouldn't require the Laptop too... all I come up with involves building a very small computer. But then I realise that's what the Firestore is: a hard drive with a small (albeit with limited functionality) computer.

I wonder if anyone does a Laptop with a really fast HD (other than the very expensive 1Beyond Laptops). Or I could just buy a Firestore... :-P
Old October 14th, 2005, 03:05 AM   #22
Major Player

Having said it was hard to replace the internal HDD on a PowerBook, I've since found several guides online that say otherwise.

xlr8yourmac.com have an upgrade guide (warning you will void your warantee) and says that it only takes about 30 minutes, so it probably wouldn't cost that much to ask an Apple service center to do it for you.

I am now drooling over the thought of a fast 100GB drive inside a brand new PowerBook.
Old October 14th, 2005, 02:07 PM   #23
Regular Crew

How about this?

How about this option for capturing directly to laptop (PowerBook)?

The hard is 1ooGb - let's suppose you will have in the end a partition of 50Gb just for the HVX. This would give you aprox 230mins of 720p or 50mins of 1080 high definition video. Would this work until the Firestore is released?

--------
MCE Ships 100GB/7200 RPM Hard Drive Upgrade for PowerBooks

MCE Technologies, LLC (MCE) has added a 100GB hard drive with a fast rotational speed of 7200 RPM to their MobileStor line of PowerBook, iBook and Mac mini hard drive upgrades. The MCE MobileStor 100GB/7200RPM drive is the highest performance drive available at the 100GB capacity for the Apple PowerBook and sports an 8MB cache buffer.

The drive has a suggested retail price of $399 and is available for immediate shipment.

“Our new MobileStor 100GB/7200RPM drive is the ideal pairing of speed with capacity and makes light work out of any data intensive task the PowerBook G4 might give it during video editing, dvd creation, image retouching or otherwise,” stated Arnold Ramirez, president of MCE.

The MCE MobileStor 100GB/7200RPM PowerBook hard drive upgrade is compatible with all Apple PowerBook G4 models, and can also be installed into any iBook G4, PowerBook G3, iBook G3, and Mac mini models.

The MCE MobileStor 100GB/7200 RPM PowerBook hard drive’s most impressive feature besides its sheer capacity is its rotational speed of 7200RPM. This gives the drive the ability to have sustained data transfer rates of over to 75MB per second with burst transfer rates of up to 100MB per second.

The drive is also designed with an 8MB read and write cache buffer. This allows the drive to anticipate which data will be requested next by the PowerBook, and the drive will pre-load this data into its high-speed buffer. If the PowerBook does request this pre-loaded data then the drive responds immediately, transmitting the data from its super-fast memory buffer, completely eliminating the latency involved in having to search for the data on its disk. The larger the cache, the greater chance the data will already be pre-loaded. Since most drives include only a 2MB buffer, the MobileStor 100GB/7200RPM’s 8MB buffer gives it a further performance advantage.

The MobileStor 100GB/7200RPM drive’s fluid dynamic bearing technology reduces acoustic noise by up to 20% over drives without this feature. The drive also features a low-power idle mode to help conserve PowerBook battery life during non-hard drive intensive activities.

The MCE MobileStor 100GB/7200RPM PowerBook hard drive upgrade has a suggested retail price of $399 and includes an illustrated installation guide and an installation kit containing the tools needed to properly install the drive. More information can be found online at:
http://www.mcetech.com/ms.html
-------
Old October 15th, 2005, 11:20 AM   #24
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Green
a LONG firewire cable. You should be able to run a 75' cable. Not as good a solution as the first one, but with a skilled cable wrangler following you around and keeping the weight/tension constant (i.e., you the operator are not actually dragging the weight of the cable), it should be perfectly workable.
Barry somewhere in the back of mind is the IEE1394 spec says a maximum cable length of 15 feet. I know in practice you can get away with longer runs, but the longest I've seen is 33 feet, and they won't guarantee it will work in every situation.
http://www.usbfirewire.com/Parts/rr-fw-002-20.html
Maybe you know of a better solution - I seem to remember somewhere cables with built in repeaters.

Just found a longer one on GMP - but woul it be safe to use?
http://www.globalmediapro.com/video/...able--989.html
John Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2005, 01:45 PM   #25
Barry Wan Kenobi

Yes the IEEE spec is maxxed out at 14.5 feet. With that said, I regularly use a 30' Laird and it works fine.

We tried using 30' cables with a 16' extension and that was a complete no-go.

Some people on the Serious Magic forum are reporting having no problems with a 75' cable. I can't see how that would work without some sort of repeater along the way; maybe they're using repeaters.

In my own experience, as long as you're using a quality manufacturer's properly-engineered cable (such as the Laird 30') it's completely reliable. No way would I trust some $8 no-name cable from ebay, but the Laird stuff works well.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2005, 03:03 PM   #26
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

i have used 50ft cables from camera to laptop running DV rack and have used same cable from DV deck to laptop ...so far no problems .. the same 50ft cable from laptop to 1394 hard drive doesn't work =problems mounting the drive ...
Don Donatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2005, 12:19 AM   #27
Regular Crew

Sorry to insist...

But would the set-up I was talking about a few posts above work? The Powerbook laptop (op of the line) with a 100Gb 7200rpm hard-disk...

In theory at least.

Thanks you.
Old October 21st, 2005, 01:47 AM   #28
Barry Wan Kenobi

Yes that should certainly work, as long as all the components meet the minimum specified requirements of FCP-HD.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2005, 11:22 AM   #29
Regular Crew

Apple is now selling its top-of-the-line Powerbook G4 laptop with an option to have the 100Gb 7200rpm hard-disk instead of the 120Gb 5400rpm one.

For the guys interested in this approach... I think it's pretty recent since I haven't seen this option just a while ago.

Instead of paying close to $3500-4000 for 2 P2 cards, you can just buy a brand-new Powerbook G4 with a 7200rpm hdd ($2500), partition the drive in two (let's say) 50Gb disks and capture directly from the HVX into the laptop. Home, you transfer the files onto a firewire drive.

Of course, there are limitations, but later on you can expand your camera with the Firestore or even with the P2 cards when the price drops (or the capacity increases) to give you more minutes of recording on the set. Not to mention that with this approach you also get an amazing laptop in addition to your system... :-)
Old October 25th, 2005, 12:40 AM   #30
Major Player

That does sound interesting, Mike:) But didn't the Hard Drive press release you posted say the could handle 70 per second with bursts of up to a hundred and wouldn't a lot of the HD modes require 100? Or am I misreading as usual.
Betsy Moore is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders