Panasonic AJ-PX270 or AG-AC130A at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old July 6th, 2014, 10:23 PM   #1
New Boot

Panasonic AJ-PX270 or AG-AC130A

Is the video from the PX270 $2,500.00 better than the AC130A? I am going to buy one for documentary and filmmaking work. I wanted an ENG camcorder for the documentary part, and I was going to use it to also film some indie movies. I liked the you don't need 20 lenses part of a camcorder.

I don't need the SDI output.I don't need to go to Europe and do any work there. The sound will be done off recorder Zoom H6. I heard the AVCIntra100 is bugged and the AVC200 isn't out yet but and upgrade will fix all this.

So for now is the image on PX270 that much better than AC130A for close person interviews. And films where the bulk of the work is being done in a single room. I bet the PX270 does green screen well.
Michael Rangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2014, 11:19 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Panasonic AJ-PX270 or AG-AC130A

From the way I read your post I'd say, no, it's not worth it.

That's based on you not needing a broadcast codec and not needing the much better picture control of the PX270. The basic picture quality off the sensor doesn't appear to be much different, based on the videos I've seen.

If the AC130A is the class of camera you decide to go for, I suggest you look closely at the Sony NX3. I'd choose that over the 130A.

I know you specifically said you want ENG style, but dSLRs excel at interviews.

I'm also looking at the upcoming Sony PXW-X160, which looks like a similar price to the PX270. A major feature of the X160 (to me) is the variable ND, which IMO should be compulsory on anything smaller than 1/2".
Old July 10th, 2014, 10:16 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I'm willing to bet that you'll be wasting hard drive space and transfer time for AVC-200 on the PX270. The limits have already been reached w/ the HPX-250 and AVC-I 100. Unless you put a $30K broadcast lens or any decent primes to the PX270 (not possible but if it was then..), all I see is diminishing return of investment to even upgrade that option. Panasonic pulled a fast one last couple years w/ the HPX-250 and AVC-I 100. But this time it will not work on me. Maybe AVC-200 can be put to use as a HD-SDI recording device from high end 2/3" cam (via HD-SDI) or a mastering cam deck, but not going to the PX270's mediocre stock lens. I can compare AVC-I 200 to high-end audio recording @196 Khz sampling rate on vocal source. Way over kill and a waste of media space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rangel View Post
Is the video from the PX270 $2,500.00 better than the AC130A? I am going to buy one for documentary and filmmaking work. I wanted an ENG camcorder for the documentary part, and I was going to use it to also film some indie movies. I liked the you don't need 20 lenses part of a camcorder.

I don't need the SDI output.I don't need to go to Europe and do any work there. The sound will be done off recorder Zoom H6. I heard the AVCIntra100 is bugged and the AVC200 isn't out yet but and upgrade will fix all this.

So for now is the image on PX270 that much better than AC130A for close person interviews. And films where the bulk of the work is being done in a single room. I bet the PX270 does green screen well.
Sam Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2014, 07:22 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Tough call. For one, your usage does not really play to the strength of a 1/3" camera (interviews with external audio) These cameras are best when you need a lot of functions at once, in a complete package.

I don't think you buy the PX270 for AVC-200. You buy it for the Long GOP 25/50 mbps codecs. These codecs are amazing. If you do a side by side with AVCHD there is no comparison imho.

You buy the PX270 because it will have a stronger codec than the AC130, way less noise in the shadows, better color accuracy and better zoom servo motors.

It always comes down to money but the PX270 is the cleanest Panasonic camera I have ever used. $2,500 is enough to make the decision difficult though.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2014, 09:08 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Polster View Post
I don't think you buy the PX270 for AVC-200. You buy it for the Long GOP 25/50 mbps codecs. These codecs are amazing. If you do a side by side with AVCHD there is no comparison imho.
Yep, that's my take on it too. Especially for interviews, the high bit rate i-frame CODEC doesn't improve image quality at all. The interesting CODECs are the LongGOP CODECs for that kind of work.
Bruce Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2016, 10:49 PM   #6
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Warren View Post
From the way I read your post I'd say, no, it's not worth it.

That's based on you not needing a broadcast codec and not needing the much better picture control of the PX270. The basic picture quality off the sensor doesn't appear to be much different, based on the videos I've seen.

If the AC130A is the class of camera you decide to go for, I suggest you look closely at the Sony NX3. I'd choose that over the 130A.

I know you specifically said you want ENG style, but dSLRs excel at interviews.

I'm also looking at the upcoming Sony PXW-X160, which looks like a similar price to the PX270. A major feature of the X160 (to me) is the variable ND, which IMO should be compulsory on anything smaller than 1/2".
Kindly let me know if side be side comparison of PXW X200 and AJPX 270 is available on any site.
Aryan Bhardwaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2016, 10:58 PM   #7
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Polster View Post
Tough call. For one, your usage does not really play to the strength of a 1/3" camera (interviews with external audio) These cameras are best when you need a lot of functions at once, in a complete package.

You buy the PX270 because it will have a stronger codec than the AC130, way less noise in the shadows, better color accuracy and better zoom servo motors.

It always comes down to money but the PX270 is the cleanest Panasonic camera I have ever used. $2,500 is enough to make the decision difficult though.
Hello Mr. Tim
I want to share my experience actually I want to purchase few camcorders for documentary and event. I had tried a rental PXW X 200 for two days it has very good image quality but also has serious flaws in focusing during fast pan and zoom in and I lost some important shots due to focusing issue. I have never tried AJPX 270 as it is not available on rent in my area. I want to know about the image quality of AJ PX 270 is it at par of PXW X200 as PANASONIC claim that the better processing engine and better codec has supersede the image quality of PXW X200 big sensor.
Aryan Bhardwaj is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders