BAD TIME to buy a NEW MAC for HVX200? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old December 8th, 2005, 12:26 AM   #16
Trustee

I just dont think a laptop is a viable solution for HD now... can you MAKE it work? Yes. I just invested about $20K to build a FCP system for editing DVCproHD. That is for the g5 quad system, Kona card and fibre raid system....does NOT include the DVCproHD deck (another $25k). You REALLY need RAID or fibre RAID to edit HD properly IMHO.

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2005, 08:24 AM   #17
Major Player

Ash,
I know you are right.
I think the Laptop idea is primarily for Capturing to another disk that then you can transport to a work station...
so that you can keep recording for longer and also Preview the footage
Or using the laptop as a P2 store...

Thant's what I will be doing , but even then it will be done on old G's that aren't optimized...oh well, but it will work
John Benton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2005, 08:47 AM   #18

Thanks Steev for your detailed findings and plan. We'll know what caused the power to go down briefly in San Francisco in early 2006 when we see it on the news. Seriously though, I'm grateful for the detailed blueprints you provided for what's available and the pro's and con's for the various storage options. I'm sure others will be as well.

Ash - Thanks for your information as well on they system you built for the client. Please correct me if I'm missing something here, but with the HVX200 and P2 cards, is there a need for a $25,000 DVCproHD deck? Originally I was thinking that I would capture straight to my G5, but recent developments at Panasonic with new options and lower prices on P2 cards have me thinking that I would get the camera with one or two 4 gig P2 cards (for now, at least). From what I've read, I was under the impression that you then just took those out of the HVX200 and loaded them into the $1,800 (retail price) Panasonic AJ-PCS060G Portable DVCPRO HD/50/25 P2 Store Drive, and were set from there?

Also, if you don't mind if I ask, what fibre raid system did you use?
Old December 8th, 2005, 04:36 PM   #19
Trustee

X-Raid with Xsan from Apple, I believe... I did not set it up myself. I am the director/producer on the couple projects that required this set-up. In my case, I need the deck because I will need to deliver on DVCproHD tape. I will also be doing some stuff with the XLH1 that will go HD-SDI out into the deck. Dont have the camera yet but I am told it looks amazing.

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders