Record direct to laptop? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old November 27th, 2005, 09:34 PM   #16
Trustee

Ash,
For serious editing in HD for me, I will be working on someone elses "HD" ready system. I am looking only for a barebones aquisition for the times that I need HD. Mostly I will be working in the SD realm for a while and want to get my feet wet so that I am better prepared fo it when HD becomes more of the norm.

I never meant to give any reference that I thought the MAC-MINI could edit a full blown HD production. SImply can it be used to record a HD stream to an external Hard drive thus bypassing P2 or firestore.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2005, 11:04 AM   #17
Major Player

..guess I don't see the advantage over a 12 " pwb. Considering the pwb has it's own ps , monitor , and more ram. cost? come on, if you can afford the pany, then ...- Kurth
Kurth Bousman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2005, 12:25 PM   #18
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurth Bousman
..guess I don't see the advantage over a 12 " pwb. Considering the pwb has it's own ps , monitor , and more ram. cost? come on, if you can afford the pany, then ...- Kurth
Kurth,
I am not sure if you were replying to my post about the mac-mini but here is my response if you were. The single biggest advantage of the mac-mini over the 12" powerbook is......(drumroll please)......I already own it! that's right. I have a small mac-mini in my ofice at work that is bought and paid for. I also have a couple of high-end dual zeon workstations too. But alas....the point is I am spending my own "nickel" on the HVX and I could barely afford it. I don't have the budget for P2 cards or Firestore immediately and will be shooting in SD for a while. But I would like to play around and capture a little HD just to get a feel for the workflow. Of course I would prefer a powerbook to a mac-mini but since I got my mac-mini for under $500 and I couldn't touch a powerbook for that I cannot complain.

Just wanting to experiment. Also.....I don't think it would be right to assume that everyone that can afford a HVX has the cash to buy all of the accessories and a new laptop too. It would be ideal but I personally am going to piece the whole kit together over the next year.
Old December 1st, 2005, 12:49 PM   #19
Major Player

I understand you,
The two things I would bring up are that
1) you will need a Monitor & Mouse to start the log & capture process in FCP or iMovie
2) I am not sure the speed of the Hard drive in the Mini. But I think you need a 7200 to capture

but I would be interested to see what you find
John Benton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2005, 12:58 PM   #20
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Benton
I understand you,
The two things I would bring up are that
1) you will need a Monitor & Mouse to start the log & capture process in FCP or iMovie
2) I am not sure the speed of the Hard drive in the Mini. But I think you need a 7200 to capture

but I would be interested to see what you find
Absolutely. I am talking about a "Studio" setup. If I had software for the PC that could capture HD I would hook it to my dual zeon with SATA drives in it. But since I don't I figured that the mini might work for testing. I have 17" LCD and mac keyboard and mouse to use with it along with a 120GB external 7200 firewire/usb2 drive. I realize this is far from ideal but since I already own this stuff I figured I might as well play around with it.

Of course.....the guest of honor has yet to arrive. The HVX that is. When it get's here I can just try this stuff and see if it works and stop asking so many "theoretical" questions!

Thanks!
Old December 1st, 2005, 01:03 PM   #21
Major Player

got it
Well, me thinks it will fly.
hope so
Old December 1st, 2005, 01:06 PM   #22
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Benton
got it
Well, me thinks it will fly.
hope so
The problem I forsee is that I will capture it and then when I try to view it the darn Mac-mini will be way to slow and frustrate the daylights out of me! While logic tells me to expect this I know I am going to get irritated! If Adobe or Vegas would just get on board!
Old December 1st, 2005, 01:12 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Greyson
$22k was for a DVCproHD deck, $10K on a big Fibre Raid...
Ash,
In your opinion, if you were doing in-studio work and were not shooting tons of footage so you stayed well within Chris Hurd's "1 gig per minute for DVCPRO HD" guideline as stated earlier in the thread, would the following work with a G5/Powerbook:

-Connect the HVX200 to the G5/Powerbook.
-Buy the appropriate Lacie Hard Drive (250 gig, 500 gig or 1 TB for roughly 250, 500 or 1,000 minutes) & connect it to the G5/Powerbook.
-Set the Final Cut Pro 5.0.3 scratch drive to the newly connected Hard Drive.
-Shoot Footage and capture at the same time.
-Edit everything that was shot on that Hard Drive, while saving all FCP files related to that project on the same Hard Drive.

Sort of a Hard Drive per project basis I guess - on an “as needed” basis.

That way, one would not be outlaying a huge amount of cash for a RAID with storage they may not need, and by the time one does need it the cost would be lower (as storage cost continues to drop and drop) and more options become available. Of course I could see the need for the RAID if you are doing alot of HD work.
Old December 1st, 2005, 06:30 PM   #24
Major Player

this is what I am hoping to do too Derek
cheers
~jb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek West
Ash,
In your opinion, if you were doing in-studio work and were not shooting tons of footage so you stayed well within Chris Hurd's "1 gig per minute for DVCPRO HD" guideline as stated earlier in the thread, would the following work with a G5/Powerbook:

-Connect the HVX200 to the G5/Powerbook.
-Buy the appropriate Lacie Hard Drive (250 gig, 500 gig or 1 TB for roughly 250, 500 or 1,000 minutes) & connect it to the G5/Powerbook.
-Set the Final Cut Pro 5.0.3 scratch drive to the newly connected Hard Drive.
-Shoot Footage and capture at the same time.
-Edit everything that was shot on that Hard Drive, while saving all FCP files related to that project on the same Hard Drive.

Sort of a Hard Drive per project basis I guess - on an “as needed” basis.

That way, one would not be outlaying a huge amount of cash for a RAID with storage they may not need, and by the time one does need it the cost would be lower (as storage cost continues to drop and drop) and more options become available. Of course I could see the need for the RAID if you are doing alot of HD work.
Old December 3rd, 2005, 08:16 AM   #25
Major Player

I read that for audio, "the AG-HVX200 includes two XLR inputs. The camcorder can record 4-channel non-compressed 48KHz/16-bit in DVCPRO and DVCPROHD."

If there are only 2 xlr inputs, where would the other two channels of audio come from???

also, to record live, DVCPRO HD from camera directly onto hard drive, it would be routed thru an NLE program in "capture" mode via firewire, just as if the video were coming off of a tape?
Robert Bobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2005, 12:38 PM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Bobson
I read that for audio, "the AG-HVX200 includes two XLR inputs. The camcorder can record 4-channel non-compressed 48KHz/16-bit in DVCPRO and DVCPROHD."

If there are only 2 xlr inputs, where would the other two channels of audio come from???
Stereo XLR jacks.

Quote:
also, to record live, DVCPRO HD from camera directly onto hard drive, it would be routed thru an NLE program in "capture" mode via firewire, just as if the video were coming off of a tape?
Yep. Just as you can record directly to a computer now via firewire with a DV camcorder with your capture software, you can do the same with the HVX200 in DVCPro. However, you will need to record to P2 or other media attached to the PC card interface if you want the full metadata and extra recording capabilities of the camera. But you can still get all the video out of the camera via the firewire port.
Jeff Kilgroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2005, 12:27 AM   #27
Major Player

So would you be able to record full audio and video into the computer at the same time? Or would you have to P2 card one?
Betsy Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2005, 11:14 AM   #28
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsy Moore
So would you be able to record full audio and video into the computer at the same time? Or would you have to P2 card one?
Yes, full audio *AND* video. It's all encoded into the DVCPro[HD] or DV format you're recording in. What you gain from using the P2 interface is XML metadata and extended camera info to go along with your video clips. This metadata is not available over a firewire connection.

What would be cool is if the camera can be set to send your audio/video out over the firewire interface while recording extended metadata only out to a P2 card. I don't know if it will support this, but seems like a no-brainer type feature to me.
Jeff Kilgroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2005, 11:20 AM   #29
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Kilgroe
Yes, full audio *AND* video. It's all encoded into the DVCPro[HD] or DV format you're recording in. What you gain from using the P2 interface is XML metadata and extended camera info to go along with your video clips. This metadata is not available over a firewire connection.

What would be cool is if the camera can be set to send your audio/video out over the firewire interface while recording extended metadata only out to a P2 card. I don't know if it will support this, but seems like a no-brainer type feature to me.
So if you record on an 8gb P2 and then using the offload to a firewire drive feature of the HVX will the metadata stay intact? Also....if you take the P2 card out and put it in a PCMCIA slot and copy the files over I am assuming that the metadata stays intact there? It has to stay intact somehow other than just while it is on the p2 card itself.....sorry if these are stupid questions but I need to understand the workflow.
Old December 5th, 2005, 03:50 PM   #30
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Hudzik
So if you record on an 8gb P2 and then using the offload to a firewire drive feature of the HVX will the metadata stay intact? Also....if you take the P2 card out and put it in a PCMCIA slot and copy the files over I am assuming that the metadata stays intact there? It has to stay intact somehow other than just while it is on the p2 card itself.....sorry if these are stupid questions but I need to understand the workflow.
Yes, the metadata stays intact when you pull files from the P2 card (using the camera as a reader, or using a PC card slot/drive on a computer). Your computer will see the camera (with P2 devices) just as it would see an external memory card reader with memory cards installed and the video clips and metadata appear just as files in a folder on your Windows/Mac desktop.

On the other hand, if you're recording live video directly out to the firewire port or pulling video from the camera's tape system as we do now with our DV cameras or even direct capture of realtime playback off the P2 card. Just the DVCPro/HD/DV stream is sent over, not the extra metadata.

The camera is only capable of creating metadata and writing it to the P2 interface. So if you have no P2 card inserted in the camera, no metadata will be recorded for whatever you're recording at the time. But if you do have a P2 card in the camera, then it should record metadata to the card even if you're capturing directly to firewire, the DV tape system or the P2 card itself. Metadata on the P2 card is available to your computer when viewing the P2 as a storage device. When shooting to P2, you won't be "capturing" video as you do now with DV. You will connect the camera to your computer or drop the P2 card into your computer's PC card slot and you will grab the files (clips and metadata) you want and you will drag them to where you want them.
Jeff Kilgroe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders