HVX200 - to Tape OR to P2, that is the Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old November 30th, 2005, 08:24 AM   #1

HVX200 - to Tape OR to P2, that is the Question

... or at least it's my question.

Looking to buy another camcorder in December. I want a smaller one that's a little more portable than my XL2. I like the DVX100B, but am thinking in terms of the bigger picture (no pun intended) and what camera will be best to get me through 2006 and allow me to collect a wider variety of formats of footage.

The way I look at it, the DVX100B is around $3,500, and the HVX200 will be a little under $6,000 without the P2 cards. (both of those MSRP, not firm #'s that will vary depending various Supply/Demmand and rebates).

I'm favoring the HVX200 route, as I can use it like a DV camera until I need to shoot something in DVCPRO50, DVCPRO25, DVCPRO. There are many other advantages as well, and I don't want to be repetitve so here's the thread for those with comments from some very experienced forum members (http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=55077).

I feel like from what I've seen in DVinfo.net that the HVX200 would be the best new addition of equipment to get me through 2006 and the SD/HDV/HD times that we are entering into.

So my question is if I get the HVX200, what formats will I be able to shoot on: miniDV only, P2 only & both?

If I shoot on miniDV will I loose the 4:2:2 color sampling?

Basically, I'm trying to find out what I'll be limited to until I decide to purchase the P2 cards.

Last edited by Guest; November 30th, 2005 at 09:55 AM.
Old November 30th, 2005, 08:40 AM   #2
Major Player

MiniDV tape will only let you record 4:1:1 regular DV, like the DVX100b. If you want anything else, you have to go tapeless and record to one of the following

1) P2 card(s)
2) Firestore (or similar products)
3) Direct to laptop via firewire

I think you're making a wise choice. Shoot DV on MiniDV tapes until you need HD or DVCPro50. At that point, you can always rent P2 cards, or buy them, or a Firestore. And if you already have a laptop, you can shoot in full 1080 HD the minute you get the HVX.
Jaime Valles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2005, 08:52 AM   #3

Thanks

Thanks Jaime, so would it be correct to say that I would only be able to shoot in 480/60i,30P,24P if recording to miniDV?

Great idea on renting the P2 cards, as I did not even think about the rental route for such an item.

As far as capturing straight to a laptop - Another good suggestion. If I was shooting in a studio environment I suppose I could just capture straight to my dual 2.7 G5 then. And then transfer the data to another HardDrive once I figured out the footage I wanted to keep.

Great suggestions. Thanks again.
Old November 30th, 2005, 09:42 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek West
As far as capturing straight to a laptop - Another good suggestion. If I was shooting in a studio environment I suppose I could just capture straight to my dual 2.7 G5 then. And then transfer the data to another HardDrive once I figured out the footage I wanted to keep.
Dude... forget transferring footage to another hard disk. You could be shooting straight to the G5 and be EDITING the footage on the spot while you shoot! Production and Post happening at the same time... drool...
Old November 30th, 2005, 10:22 AM   #5

That is “drool-worthy.”

I don’t want to get off subject, but with the above now known, this would be my workflow (from shooting to editing) for studio work –

Connect the HVX200 to the G5.
Buy the appropriate Lacie Hard Drive (250 gig, 500 gig or 1 TB) and connect that to my G5.
Set the Final Cut Pro 5.0.3 scratch drive to the newly connected Hard Drive.
Shoot Footage and capture at the same time.
Edit everything that was shot on that Hard Drive, while saving all FCP files related to that project on the same Hard Drive.

Sort of a Hard Drive per project basis I guess - on an “as needed” basis.

Would the above be a good workflow for in-studio work?

I’m curious to know what others are planning on doing. I’ll be looking for a thread on the subject this morning, but to this point, I don’t think I’ve seen one for the HVX200 specifically. If anyone reading this knows of one feel free to post a link. Thanks.
Old November 30th, 2005, 11:00 AM   #6
Major Player

Derek,
As far as I can tell, this seems Ideal...
if it is just studio work
if you are mobile then the P2 / firestore & others will be useful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaime Valles
MiniDV tape will only let you record 4:1:1 regular DV, like the DVX100b. If you want anything else, you have to go tapeless and record to one of the following

1) P2 card(s)
2) Firestore (or similar products)
3) Direct to laptop via firewire

Jaime,
Does any one know if the Firestore for tha JVC will work on the HVX200
It's firewire transfer - so I cant think why not
the next logical question is
Are there advantages to P2 (incl disks that connect to Camera's P2 slot)
Vs. Firewire transfer (to laptop/Firestore etc)

?
(Note: firestore 80G is 1600$ vs 8G P2 cards and could theoretically slide in your pocket)

John
John Benton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2005, 11:17 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Benton
Does any one know if the Firestore for tha JVC will work on the HVX200
It's firewire transfer - so I cant think why not
I think the Firestore specifically designed for the HVX will be the only one that works. It's due in March for "less than $2000". They're both Firewire, but the HVX version is made for DVCProHD, not HDV (you were referring to the JVC HD100?)

Quote:
Are there advantages to P2 (incl disks that connect to Camera's P2 slot) Vs. Firewire transfer (to laptop/Firestore etc)
The main advantage of P2 is no moving parts. Zero dropped frames, impervious to shock, or temperature. The recording will be rock-solid. It also allows for non-stop shooting if you have more than one P2 card. You can fill one up, remove the card and dump to a laptop while the other card is still recording, and shoot continuously for, well, forever (in theory, until you run out of hard disk space). Also, P2 cards make the camera the most portable it can be. A Firestore or Laptop requires cables hanging off the camera, and external power supplies for the hard disks, laptops, etc. Also, P2 lets you record "active frames" in 720/24p, so you can fit more footage onto the cards.

Other than that, the footage will look the same on P2 or via Firewire, with no difference in quality.
Old November 30th, 2005, 11:33 AM   #8
Major Player

Excellent info,
Thanks Jaime
John Benton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2005, 08:58 PM   #9
Inner Circle

No one mentioned one DV advantage the HVX has over the DVX. The HVX will shoot true 16x9 SD (it has 16x9 ccds) onto miniDV. So for 2006 you'll have a great 16x9 DV camera.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2005, 07:55 AM   #10

Craig, good point. Barry Green listed out a few other advantages as well in the thread I linked to up a the top. You might find his post (#6) interesting. Thanks.
Old December 2nd, 2005, 10:18 AM   #11
Major Player

Do you have to take the P2 card out of the camera to tranfer to a computer or can you just hook the HVX200 to your computer via firewire and tranfer?
Bob Zimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2005, 10:24 AM   #12

Bob - From what I've read, I had just planned on not buying the P2 cards for now and hooking it directly to my computer and going straight from the HVX200 to the G5 dp 2.7 while shooting in a studio, then editing on the same computer in FCP 5.0.xx.

I like several things about the HVX200 over the Canon H1 and ONE of the things that I like is the fact that I can spend somewhere between $5,000 and $6,000 on the HVX200 to see if the DVCPRO HD/50/25 will be something that will work for me personally. THEN, if it is, the P2 cards will be next on the wish list. If it's not a good format for me, well...

someone will get a good deal on a barely used HVX200 in the DVinfo.net classified's ;)
Old December 2nd, 2005, 12:26 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Zimmerman
Do you have to take the P2 card out of the camera to tranfer to a computer or can you just hook the HVX200 to your computer via firewire and tranfer?
Yes, the computer should see the HVX as an external drive, so you can transfer the footage from the P2 card to computer. If you have a Mac, use the Firewire cable. For PC, use the USB2 cable.
Old December 3rd, 2005, 07:45 AM   #14
Major Player

(never mind - I just found another thread that addresses my question)
Robert Bobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2005, 11:23 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek West
Basically, I'm trying to find out what I'll be limited to until I decide to purchase the P2 cards.
With Panasonic releasing new pricing / bundle options on the HVX200 I'll switch gears and buy the camera with one or two of the 4 gig P2 cards, until I have the need for more and/or as prices which will make recording directly to the mac no longer an issue to wonder about.

... what a difference a week can make.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders