Wireless Idea... why wouldn't it work? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old December 27th, 2005, 02:20 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Wireless Idea... why wouldn't it work?

I am certainly no expert on wireless technology. However, it seems to me that with 802.11N (or pre-N available now) coming down the pike having bandwidth in the 100Mbps to 200Mbps range, a P2-based wireless card (same form factor even!) would make a lot of sense.

Nice to imagine that we would not need our PC/Mac tethered to our camera for capturing footage. Instead, you safely have your computer sitting in your car, on your desk, under an umbrella, in the room next door, etc. and you transmit the 100Mbps signal wirelessly from the HVX to your capture computer. And, since WiFi is 2-way, the HVX could potentially 'pull' data from your PC to show scenes, etc.

Assuming 802.11N data transfer/throughput were consistent and realiable (unlike 802.11b for example), wouldn't this be a serious threat to FS or Cineporter? *I realize that for serious film-types to use this workflow would require 99.9999% reliability. But for filmhacks like me, I would trade 1% failure rate (i.e., 99.00000% reliable) for a few less pounds to carry.

Thoughts?
Jim Karrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2005, 02:37 AM   #2
Trustee

Pretty sure the camers would need to be built with the drivers/etc. Also, wireless at that bandwidth will always have hiccups, you would need some special capture software to decode it.... this may work in 20 years but... not in the next 5 for sure....

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2005, 11:38 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Wireless Idea... why wouldn't it work?

Wireless technologies are based on isochronos transmission. Most video and audio streaming require synchronous communications. You'd have to have an enormous input buffer to ensure that drops in signals caused by interferrence could be recovered. Might be feasable for transfers, but not for streaming live material.
Old December 27th, 2005, 12:23 PM   #4
Major Player

Pretty much what Paul said...

Wireless may be feasible at some point in the future, but you had better plan on a wireless format that can provide 200Mbps or more reliably and it better have 8 to16 GB of onboard buffer. In reality, a P2 compatible card that could be created that provides dual-channel 802.11Nx at 144Mbps per channel with 8GB of buffer space. The camera would see it as a huge P2 card, and all the networking would be handled internally within the card itself and on the NLE side of things.

Yes, it could work, but I think we're still a couple years away until all the necessary components are available and even then, it will be very costly. For right now, 50ft. firewire cords are pretty cheap...
Jeff Kilgroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2005, 01:03 PM   #5
Barry Wan Kenobi

As I understand it already exists to some degree on the SPX800; the SPX can take a wireless card and transmit. But for some reason I think that what it transmits is a low-rez proxy, not full-rez... not sure on that...

So that would imply that yes, someday the tech will be there, but probably not right away.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2005, 03:01 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Wireless streaming

Spread spectrum might work over short distances. It's probably a short way off. That said, I was amazed by my Airport Express and the ability to stream 2 channels of audio using Apple Loss-less Compression to my stereo. Of course, the signal lock is whacked when I use the microwave, which is what you don't want to happen when you are transferring live video.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders