What's Panasonic's official Policy on Dead pixels with HVX200's at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old January 3rd, 2006, 03:14 PM   #1
Regular Crew

What's Panasonic's official Policy on Dead pixels with HVX200's

What's Panasonic's official Policy on Dead pixels with HVX200's.....

I have asked this three times, twice to Jan since April and at DV expo in the Panasonic booth I asked a Panasonic rep.

I never can get a straight answer. So how about this one get answered.

In HD these suckers stand out like the north star. Canon will map out the pixels or replace the ccd's on any gain setting that the dead pixels show up. Canon will take care of you.

So I ask again,

What is Panasonic's official position on this? If we have a dead pixel etc. on any gain setting will Panasonic resolve the problem 100%..........??????

Michael Pappas
Arrfilms@hotmail.com
PappasArts & Arrfilms Main site
http://www.pbase.com/Arrfilms
http://www.PappasArts.com
http://www.Myspace.com/

Last edited by Michael Pappas; January 3rd, 2006 at 06:08 PM.
Michael Pappas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2006, 03:33 PM   #2
Regular Crew

In Japan,

In Japan, Panasonic replace the camera. But I don't know in Panasonic USA, the problem is now, Panasonic don't have enough camera to replace. It'll take long time to get new one right now.
Chosei Funahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2006, 04:09 PM   #3
Regular Crew

We need an official response from Panasonic USA though!

Good policy you have in Japan with Panasonic of jp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosei Funahara
In Japan, Panasonic replace the camera. But I don't know in Panasonic USA, the problem is now, Panasonic don't have enough camera to replace. It'll take long time to get new one right now.
Old January 3rd, 2006, 07:50 PM   #4
Supports LPFM Radio

Could be Jan didn't have an answer before because Panasonic hadn't set a policy yet. Now that the camera's shipping, pehaps a call to Panasonic support will generate an answer?

Jim
Jim Feeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2006, 11:37 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Panasonic comes to this board all the time. Why not now?

People would rather have them go on record here than say it on a phone. This way everyone is covered, and it's publicly stated.

So no one can say on a phone " oh sure we fix that " and then when actually at the services center, you get a whole other line that says the opposite.

I have seen this happen a number of times. That famous line:

" well I don't know who you spoke with but they were wrong about our policy ".

So on the record here, just like the sales pitches we have been enduring for many many months from Jan and Panasonic about the HVX200...

So Jan / Panasonic what is the " POLICY "........???

Michael Pappas
Arrfilms@hotmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Feeley
Could be Jan didn't have an answer before because Panasonic hadn't set a policy yet. Now that the camera's shipping, pehaps a call to Panasonic support will generate an answer?

Jim
Old January 3rd, 2006, 11:52 PM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Pappas
Panasonic comes to this board all the time. Why not now?
We have exactly one person from Panasonic that has ever posted here, and that's Jan Crittenden. She registered in September 2002 and in all that time she has made 134 posts, which is much less than one post per week. I think you're confusing DV Info Net with DVX User. Panasonic does not come to this board all the time.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2006, 12:22 AM   #7
Major Player

Do you own an HVX yet?

Do you have a dead pixel currently?

Did you have a dead pixel on a DVX100?

Are you *not* going to buy the HVX based on their dead pixel policy?

I'm sure they will stand behind the HVX as any other manufacturer would.
Old January 4th, 2006, 12:35 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Chris

Not being totally accurate, but like the ticket that never was, the facts always taste better..... So, to have numbers closer to accuracy, here we go.....

Your own database says since Jan 27th 2003 Jan has made 191 posts, give or take I guess a few based on data base error.

So, from January 27th, 2003, 06:42 AM, the earliest that I could find to February 5th, 2005, 05:36 AM where Jan mention the HVX200 in most basic terms; Jan made only about 40 posts in over two years of memebership.

Hhmmmmm..... ( hand to chin )

So, that's a good 75 to 80% of her posts really setting the wave of marketing to support the HVX200 in 2005 starting in February.

In simple terms; In ten months or so Jan has made 150 posts. Mostly about the HVX200.

So, if we look at the statistics on those basic figures, she has been here the heaviest for the HVX200.....

So another % towards the policy that I and ( many many many ) others would like to know is a good thing....

I think what I wrote above in the previous post,,,, still stands..

This policy needs to be addressed. Simple enough.............

Michael Pappas
Arrfilms@hotmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
We have exactly one person from Panasonic that has ever posted here, and that's Jan Crittenden. She registered in September 2002 and in all that time she has made 134 posts, which is much less than one post per week. I think you're confusing DV Info Net with DVX User. Panasonic does not come to this board all the time.
Old January 4th, 2006, 12:40 AM   #9
Regular Crew

I don't buy a car and it's warranty or an insurance policy until I know their policy they offer me.

Do you?

8,000 + dollar purchases, I don't take lightly. Yes 8,000+ once you add the P2 cards, extra batteries, adapters, lens controler etc etc, it's over 8k to do it right.

Pappas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Struthers
Do you own an HVX yet?

Do you have a dead pixel currently?

Are you *not* going to buy the HVX based on their dead pixel policy?

I'm sure they will stand behind the HVX as any other manufacturer would.
Old January 4th, 2006, 12:46 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Yes I did on my DVX100.

I went through three boxes at Promax to get one that was clean of dead pixels. I'm not going through that again, I would rather send it to Panasonic, but you need to know their policy first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Struthers

Old January 4th, 2006, 03:31 PM   #11
Supports LPFM Radio

Michael,

I understand your frustration, but considering the time you've put into this, couldn't you call Panasonic to get the answer from them? Perhaps you could say to them that you'd like to record the conversation to make sure you don't misunderstand the policy. If they balk, ask them to email the policy to you.

I know big companies can be frustrating (I have this Apple 23-inch monitor that's turing pink, for example), but it can be worth a little effort to determine the policy.

Once you find out, let us know.

Thanks,

Jim
Jim Feeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2006, 04:00 PM   #12
Panasonic Broadcast

Michael,

I already answered this question back in September on another thread that you started.

You asked: "If so, what is Panasonic's policy on this. I have a zero tolerance on dead pixels. Canon maps them out without any BS, how about you guys. Jan,
What's the official policy on this?"

I said: We stand behind our products completely. Our warranty is one year parts and labor with a 2 year warranty on the CCD assembly. Mapping out dead pixels is just simply Standard Operating Procedure.

Best regards,

Jan
Old January 5th, 2006, 04:10 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Thank you Jan for addressing this.

One follow up question and it's put to rest.

On any gain setting including 18db?

michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Crittenden Livingston
Michael,

I already answered this question back in September on another thread that you started.

You asked: "If so, what is Panasonic's policy on this. I have a zero tolerance on dead pixels. Canon maps them out without any BS, how about you guys. Jan,
What's the official policy on this?"

I said: We stand behind our products completely. Our warranty is one year parts and labor with a 2 year warranty on the CCD assembly. Mapping out dead pixels is just simply Standard Operating Procedure.

Best regards,

Jan
Old January 5th, 2006, 04:39 PM   #14
Regular Crew

yes 18db

HVX's gain is same as DVX100's Gain switches on board, which goes up to 12db, but SW Mode menue - user- set-18db
Chosei Funahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2006, 04:43 PM   #15
Major Player

I think that Jan was very clear. Panasonic is extremely reputable pro video company. Plus I am not aware that dead pixel presence is gain related. You either have a dead pixel or you don't. The JVC pixel phenomena at gain up seems to be something unique to that camera and totally unrelated to Panasonic. If people start reporting similar phenomena with Panasonic, that would be the time to ask Jan.
Petr Marusek is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders