Help me open Kaku clips in FCP please. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old January 6th, 2006, 02:36 PM   #1
Trustee

Help me open Kaku clips in FCP please.

First I downloaded his .mxf file and it won't import. Then I downloaded the image of his P2 card and I can't seem to get it to load. Can someone tell me what steps to take here?? I have the latest version of FCP 5.0.4.

thanks!
I really, really, really, really want to try this!!!

Update::
Okay...i figured it out part way. I pointed FCP at the folder.......it showed me thumbnails of 2 clips.....I import all and it says it failed because both clips are corrupt or incomplete......Now what???
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2006, 04:55 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Marty I have never done this myself and seeing no one has replied to you I can quickly explain this from what I have READ. The mxf must be unwrapped first. This is done by choosing file> Import> Panasonic P2 in the most current version of final cut pro which transfers the media files to your scratch disk as quicktime media files. There is a pdf if you do a search that is called FCP5 - HD and Broadcast formats pdf that you should read. It includes the whole p2 workflow.
Scott Schuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2006, 01:49 PM   #3
Trustee

Just an update for anyone who cares. I had to go to the final cut CD and manually install the DVCPRO_HD Codec. It apparently didn't install during the original installation. Now I can open the P2 Files. Yayy!!!

On a sad note the performance of these clips in FCP is horrible on the Mac-mini. I wasn't expecting anything great but to just drop them in the timeline and hit play it appears I am getting 1-2 frames per second. The clips are of buildings and are static so I can't even tell if it is playing other than I can see the timeline marker moving.

Now if all fairness I only have 512MB ram but I thought I could at least get a ballpark idea if this is workable by trying it. I highly doubt adding 1G ram is going to change this.

Anyone else out there getting better performance on a Mac-mini?
Old January 9th, 2006, 02:25 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Hey marty you'll likely have more luck if you hook up a fw drive on to the little beast. Put the media on that, open fcp.
You've only got fw 400 tho', bummer.
Still, qt may play the 720 clips without the load of fcp. Think you'll struggle with the 1080 stuff.

Also HD features in fcp require 1gig ram min.
Rob McCardle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2006, 02:38 PM   #5
Trustee

Thanks. I didn't realize that FCP had a 1GB minimum for HD. Maybe it could make a difference. Also...while I have an external FW400 drive I am not sure how to force FCP to use it. I imported the P2 media image and I don't have any idea where FCP puts it. I was hoping for a bare minimum system just to mess with....but it's starting to seem like this isn't it.

weren't there some users using g4 laptops running FCP saying it was pretty usable?
Old January 9th, 2006, 02:52 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Hell yeah - I'm one of them. But fcp needs at least one additional drive (and not a partition of your boot) to spin up to make it perform. I run the pb with fw 800 dual channel RAID 0. No problems playing 720 or 1080. I can edit 720 easily, 1080 well, sorta it's ok but borderline - I wouldn't really recommend 1080 tho' on a pb - use a dual g5 for that.

Someone will chime in here saying they run their media files off their boot - well good luck. One day they'll hit the wall. Don't do it - set up an external or additional hdd for media.

What you do is go to fcp prefs under the fcp menu and set the scratch disc to, in your case, the external. fcp will create the fcp documents folder on the root of that drive.

For the meantime drop the files over onto the external and point fcp to the media.

Still reckon you'll have far more luck using qt - 720 should be ok but 1080, hmmm ...
Old January 9th, 2006, 02:57 PM   #7
Trustee

Rob,
I currently have no plans of using 1080HD at all....well not for a while. I will move those files over and see how it works. I'll let you know. JUst out of curiosity what are you using to view this on an external monitor? Or are you not doing that with the powerbook?

Thanks,
Marty
Old January 9th, 2006, 03:06 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I run an Apple 20 on the pb - the card can run a 30" if need be.

I've got 17" 1.67 pb, feb last year rev.

For the 1080 stuff - I drop it over to the g5 - too lazy to swap displays over.

edit: should add that I am not actively producing anything in HD atm. So I haven't geared up for the workflow yet.
I'm building a rig later on this year - just letting it all shake down ... still very early days with all this.
Old January 9th, 2006, 03:13 PM   #9
Trustee

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I meant how are you streaming the HD signal out to preview on a HD monitor. Or are you just viewing it on your workstation monitor?
Old January 9th, 2006, 03:17 PM   #10
Regular Crew

yes - computer display only at this stage.
Haven't gone the whole hog yet ...
Old January 9th, 2006, 07:36 PM   #11
Regular Crew

MXF to Mac

I opened the Kaku's MXF on a Powerbook running FCP 5.0.4 with no problem. Just had to point the browse to the right folder. Perfomance wasn't half bad, although the rendering does take a bit of a wait.
Bill Southworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2006, 07:39 PM   #12
Regular Crew

MXF to Mac

Oh yeah, I forgot. My Powerbook has 2GB RAM.
Bill Southworth is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders