Raylight (PC Editing App) Demo now available at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old January 8th, 2006, 07:54 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Raylight (PC Editing App) Demo now available

Demo is up at http://www.dvfilm.com/raylight

Looks like final release is on the 15th.

Sweet.
Jim Exton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2006, 03:53 PM   #2
Major Player

It's just the codec, right?
Not an app.

-Les
Les Dit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2006, 04:52 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Yes, it is just a codec, you still need an editing application to use it.
Jim Exton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2006, 07:18 PM   #4
Trustee

Kaku,
Could you please post some 1080/24P raw MXF files?

The DVFilm Raylight Demo only allows 1080 files.

Thank you,

Steve
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2006, 09:48 AM   #5
Major Player

I don't know what's going on in the demo, but it is completely destroying the video clips. Subtle edge enhancement is now replaced by huge blocky artifacts, etc.. I don't know if it's re-encoding because of the DVFilm watermark or what, but I'm not too inspired to buy anything based on this demo.

Performance within Vegas is less than stellar too... Better than performance within Avid with Avid's DV100 codec, but compared to DVCPROHD in Edius or FCP, the Raylight codec is a dog. Granted, this is a demo of a beta version and it is a step in the right direction. But as of now, I haven't been inspired to buy. I'll gladly pay their price because it's cheap and I can keep working with Vegas, but I also don't want to spend the next few months beta testing software as it matures while I could be working with an established, working solution (FCP). If the video is altered in any way within Raylight compared to the original captured footage, then I won't use the product.
Jeff Kilgroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2006, 10:24 AM   #6
Trustee

Jeff you are executing the Raylight.exe file after extracting the video, right?

It defaults on the lower RED check box which is set to lowest rez mode (extremely blocky).

If you stop your video and click the top BLUE check box, it will play back in the highest unaltered mode.

Works fine for me. I know it's a workaround for PC NLE, but atleast it's something.

The demo is limited, but the full version is available this month.

Steve
Old January 9th, 2006, 04:11 PM   #7
Major Player

Steven,

I guess I misunderstood the little control app. You're right, after I checked the top box for full quality, the video looks like it should.

Also, I don't know if its my system or just a fluke with the couple clips I have to test with, but full quality actually runs faster than low quality within both Vegas and Windows Media Player. Heh. ????

Anyway, this is a step. At least it is a functional solution if not an elegant one.
Old January 12th, 2006, 11:45 AM   #8
Major Player

And now another question...

How does the Raylight codec work (or does it) for capture of DVCPRO streams from the camera? Or are PC users forced to either capture uncompressed live from the component output or live with only the capability of recording to P2 or a device like the Cineporter and then using Raylight to convert to AVI?

I was hoping to get my hands on an HVX200 today or tomorrow, but that isn't going to happen. The local shop still hasn't got a shipping confirmation or any indication that either of their two HVX's are going to arrive any time soon. I'm expecting mine sometime mid~late February it seems.
Old January 12th, 2006, 03:45 PM   #9
Barry Wan Kenobi

Well... now... that's a darn interesting question. I wouldn't expect raylight to change anything regarding the current can't-capture situation, because it's not a capture app. But... perhaps Marcus could be persuaded to write a capture app? I don't know if he'd have any appetite for that, but... in actuality, a capture app really wouldn't have anything to do with the codec, other than knowing the four-letter code to assign to the .AVI file to tell it which codec to use (I believe raylight uses RAYL)... so a new dedicated capture app would have to be written.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2006, 08:55 AM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Thomas
Kaku,
Could you please post some 1080/24P raw MXF files?

The DVFilm Raylight Demo only allows 1080 files.

Thank you,

Steve

Opps, Steven, I don't read too much windows related posts, so I missed it. I will make up something with 1080/24p at my site.
Kaku Ito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2006, 10:11 PM   #11
Trustee

Thanks Kaku.
Raylight will be available for purchase on 01/17/06.

It is supposed to work with 720P and 1080P HVX200 MXF files.

Thanks, Steve
Old January 16th, 2006, 10:25 PM   #12
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Thomas
Thanks Kaku.
Raylight will be available for purchase on 01/17/06.

It is supposed to work with 720P and 1080P HVX200 MXF files.

Thanks, Steve
Some DVCPRO50 raw files are there at my site. I will add some HD formats.
Kaku Ito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2006, 10:17 AM   #13
Contributor

RAYLIGHT went on sale today (Jan 18th).

There is also a new version of the demo, and it now supports
1280 x 720 frame size, although I would recommend 1920 x 1080
for movie work.

http://dvfilm.com/raylight
Marcus van Bavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2006, 11:03 AM   #14
Trustee

Althought I don't know the person's PC setup, David Jimerson over at DVXUSER mentioned that he could get Vegas to run a 720/24P at full frame rate using Raylight's best quality setting (blue). He was veiwing with Vegas window set to best.

Well, this might change things, although it sure would be nce to get 1080 to run in Vegas at full frame rate.

On the other hand, I imagine a lot of HVX users will be shooting 720 to benefit in slow/fast-mo.

Steve
Old January 18th, 2006, 11:30 AM   #15
Major Player

I will second that.

I can get a single stream of 720p to run in real time in full quality in Vegas and Media Player. I don't have a 30fps clip to try, but 24pn works. 60fps chokes... Looks like 24~30fps is about the max on this system when I try changing the playback rate of the 60p clip, but it's hard to tell for sure.

System specs:

AMD Athlon64 X2 dual core 4800+
2GB RAM
nVidia 7800 GTX 512MB driving a Samsung 243T @ 1920x1200
XP SP2
Vegas 6
Video drive is 4x320GB 7200rpm SATA drives in a striped (RAID 0) array.
It works, but the codec could still use some serious optimization. But way better than Avid's DV100 joke. Raylight's codec does not appear to be multithreaded. In other words, no sign of it using the second CPU core.

Raylight is an OK solution for the price and will let PC users at least do some editing with the HVX. Hopefully Raylight will continue to mature and become faster and more optimized and/or another PC solution will present itself.

I will probably buy Raylight after seeing the 720p performance of the new demo, just so I can have edit capabilities on my HP notebook (it's got a 3.2GHz P4 chip in there, may as well use it). But for serious production, I'm really starting to think me buying that G5 quad was a good idea. I should be able to set it up this weekend. 8)
Jeff Kilgroe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders