Have you noticed the AUDIO options in the HVX200?? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old January 24th, 2006, 12:16 AM   #1
Major Player

Have you noticed the AUDIO options in the HVX200??

I meant to mention this before, but have you seen the audio options in this camera.....SUPERB!

On Canon XL-H1, it comes with 4 channel audio. You have the option to use camera mic for channel 1 & 2 and use XLR/RCA inputs for 3 & 4. and that's it. And when doing this in HDV mode....there's no way to actually GET the recorded channels on 3 & 4, so it's somewhat worthless.

However, for the HVX200..... my goodness. It's like "Sound Ala Cart!" 4 channel PCM audio where you can assign any channel you want to any XLR you want and you can assign the camera mic to any channel you want as well.

Now that's just COOL.

This means, for example, you can use the XLR feed from your sound mixer on channel 1 & 2 and simultaneously record the camera mic on 3 & 4 for backup reference audio all at the same time. Just sweet! Just thought you should know I have never seen this type of audio versatility on a camera for under $20,000.00 bucks.

- ShannonRawls.com
Old January 24th, 2006, 04:27 AM   #2
Major Player

This is really useful. Thanks for sharing this info!
Michael Mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2006, 06:17 AM   #3
Inner Circle

now can someone confirm for me HOW MANY MICROPHONES i can actually jack into this baby??? (obviously with 2 XLRs i can connect 2.. but with 4 chanels im HOPING theres a plug in there somewhere... or maybe even the RCA is active and can be used as a line input.. I dont know... thats why i ask...

If it has 4 channels, i wanna be able to jack in 4 mics.. the onboard mics of the DVX were pretty good for omni stereo environs, but if i can hook up 4 lapels all at once with 4 recievers all jacked into the camera AT ONCE, then im cooking with gas...
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2006, 12:11 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Sadly, it looks so far like 2 external mics plus the 2 internal mics. The RCA ins can't be used for this; and there's no monitoring/gain control for more than 2 at a time.

Many of us are hoping an early aftermarket mod will be something that replaces the internal mic with a jack...
Barry Werger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2006, 08:15 PM   #5
Inner Circle

for loud plosives, the internal mic of the DVX is actualy quite good.. especially with AGC turns on.... i dont mind the internal mic, but it would defeat the purpoase. What im consdidering is multi track audio for lapel mics at seminars and meetings, as well as surround sound environmental recordings. For stage shows, planting mics in various locations to emulate the ambience of the performance space would absolutely KICK ASS all the while recording the talent with planted lapels on thier bodies...
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2006, 09:27 PM   #6
Trustee

Audio is another reason my local vendor, encompass media -a long time canon dealer, is switching to the pany (the other was stock lens CA issues -but that's another topic : )

I am seriously considering this camera and will spend a few hundred in rental fees to see and hear it for myself. I do mostly corporate video and cannot justify the hassle of having to capture third party audio, which the canon requires.

Numbers and specs aside, I need to listen to audio samples of both units and judge from there, (unless someone has already done that and can share their experiences?)

Pete
Peter Ferling is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders