Anyone try OQO with their HVX200? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old February 24th, 2006, 12:40 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Anyone try OQO with their HVX200?

Seems like the OQO might have a shot as a capture device.... as a 1GHz handheld computer with Firewire and a 30GB HD (upgradeable?)

Anyone try using it with the HVX200?

Here's their website... http://www.oqo.com/
Jim Karrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2006, 01:15 AM   #2
Major Player

Very, very interesting device. If it was a mobile phone too, I would buy it immediately. This could work as a P2 dumping device, hard disk. Installing the P2 viewer, you could have immediate feedback on your footage. THis is, as it seems, THE portable p2viewer with monitor. (not good to judge grain, etc, but should work like the lcd's of digital stil cameras)

I do not know if any capture device on the windows platform would work efficiently on the 1ghz cpu this thing has, tough. Maybe not good enough for "capture now", but good for p2 dumping.
Old February 24th, 2006, 01:17 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hmmm ... I think not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Karrels
Seems like the OQO might have a shot as a capture device.... ]
My first impression is "eeek, run away, run away!" (And that's not just because I'm a Mac guy :o)

Recording direct to the system disk has always given me fits and I believe it is never a good choice ... having your capture program and your system accessing the same hard disk as it's trying to record to and all ... you're setting yourself up for dropped frames or utter failure.

Also, 30 Gb is gonna dwindle as soon as you install the system and the capture software. I bet their not thinking anyone is going to be using this for media intensive purposes so the hard drive is probably at 5400 rpm or worse. RAM could really use a boost as well. The site doesn't say that any of these can be upgraded. (At least I didn't see it.)

Also, (and again, I'm not a PC guy, but ...) PC capture programs like Premiere have processor and RAM requirements far above what this little guy comes with.

My first impression is to steer clear and go with something that has a little (a lot!) more guts to it. I think your money would be better spent on a Firestore, Cineporter, or, heck, I heard those P2 cards will even work when you can actually find 'em in stock somewhere ... ;o)
Old February 24th, 2006, 06:10 AM   #4
Go Go Godzilla

There's no way an OQO would ever work as a capture device. Even if you could put larger HDD inside and somehow rig up an external drive to capture to, the Transmeta Crusoe CPU and it's mainboard doesn't come close to having enough horsepower to handle any video crunching. Certainly it can playback DVD content but the requirements for just being a playback device are so minimal even a Palm Pilot could do it.

In point of fact, the OQO is a PDA on steriods or, a sub-miniature laptop however you choose to view it, but it is not a true A/V device and isn't supposed to be.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders