Weird knocking sound?? ...and a Review at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old February 26th, 2006, 11:39 AM   #1
Tourist

Weird knocking sound?? ...and a Review

To begin with… has anybody else noticed a weird knocking sound with their HVX? It doesn’t seem to happen when the camera is powered on, or affect the camera in anyway, but man its disconcerting. With the power off, if I tilt the camera forward something inside the chassis slides forward, when I tilt it backwards something slides backwards. I assume the fact that I couldn’t’ find a post about this indicates it isn’t something others have experienced but I figured I should ask and see just in case.

On with the review…. I’ve only had it for two days and haven’t gotten into the audio options yet but I love it so far. I used to have a Canon XL2 and found the weight, form-factor, short wide angle and the lack of a true LCD to be a pain. So far the HVX has remedied all these issues and more. It’s true that you can buy a wide angle lens for the XL2 in order to get those short, tight shots, but at a price of just under a grand for the lens I figured that’s half way to an HVX! When you include other accessories I’d have to add onto the XL2 to get all the functionality I wanted, hell the HVX was a great deal. Not to mention the ability to film HD.

I really love the way the menus are intuitive and instantly responsive to physical switches on the chassis (ie Scene File, User1, User2, User3). It really cleans up the implementation of the Camera’s many functions.

The chassis and lens are nothing short of perfect for me. It’s just heavy and wide enough to be substantial and remind you that it’s an expensive piece of machinery…..while at the same time it’s compact and versatile. For documentary filmmaking, which is what I’ll be using it for. I have to say I am over the moon. Compared to the XL2 this is a dream….half the weight, perfectly balanced, plus the ability to shoot HD and variable overcranking and undercranking frame rates!

Sure with the HVX I’m giving up a bit of depth of focus when compared to the XL2, but in my case it’s worth it. I did notice though it is a little noisier then the XL2's image. But just a little.

The only real con so far, other then the sliding knocking sound that’s got me worried, is that as other posters have mentioned the LCD is not very crisp. Compared to the Sony HDR-FX1 it seems very blurred. I don’t know it's a huge issue though. For focus and fine adjustments I’d want to rely on the view-finder anyways. To me the LCD is more for maintaining the grammar of a shot. As well I agree with others that I find the placement of the XLR terminals near the front odd.

So since I find these posts very handy when researching stuff I figured I should offer something back to the community. For docs, I think this is the perfect camera. I could have bought a DVX100B and saved 3K, but I figured in a few years I’d want to buy an HD camera anyways, so why not do it now.

Thus far after having a Canon XL2, and playing around with a Sony HDR-FX1 for a couple of days its all about the Pana for me.

Nathan
Nathan Estabrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2006, 11:50 AM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Estabrooks
To begin with… has anybody else noticed a weird knocking sound with their HVX? It doesn’t seem to happen when the camera is powered on, or affect the camera in anyway, but man its disconcerting. With the power off, if I tilt the camera forward something inside the chassis slides forward, when I tilt it backwards something slides backwards. I assume the fact that I couldn’t’ find a post about this indicates it isn’t something others have experienced but I figured I should ask and see just in case.
UH, oh... Here we go again.... This should be the #1 item in every DVX and HVX FAQ.

The knocking or loose parts sound is a component of the OIS (Optical Image Stabilization) system. What you are experiencing is entirely normal.
Jeff Kilgroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2006, 12:08 PM   #3
Tourist

phew... thats a relief

Thanks for the prompt reply
Nathan Estabrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2006, 03:23 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Good point about xl2 and having buy the 3x lens. I did that with my XL2, even wanted super wide, attached a .6x century on top of that, was about 15mm in 35mm terms. Even without the .6x adapter though, I found the 3x lens a sad excuse for a wide angle. The image it produced was trash in my opinion, some have explained that its because more information on same ccd level, etc. Either way, I thought it sucked. My experience the past few days shooing with the HVX is exactly the same as yours. I find it extremely more convenient in size, so many size options, and I love the style it shoots more than the XL2.
Michael Paul Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2006, 10:37 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Good to know about the knocking noise coming from OIS. I didn't know the answer to that so thanks for asking the question and thanks for giving the answer.

It's still unfortunate that it does it. But I'll take 60p any day over a silly knocking noise. And I never use the camera mic anyways.
Old February 27th, 2006, 04:48 PM   #6
Major Player

The 'knocking' noise of OIS is typical of all OIS I have ever had, from the early TR101 through the VX1000 and the PD150 family -- and it only does it when the device is powered off ... when the system is on and active it doesn't ... rattle, is the term I'd use.

GB
R Geoff Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2006, 04:50 PM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Kilgroe
UH, oh... Here we go again.... This should be the #1 item in every DVX and HVX FAQ.

The knocking or loose parts sound is a component of the OIS (Optical Image Stabilization) system. What you are experiencing is entirely normal.
Jeff, you blew it. We could have had him going for at least 5 pages! Oh well, the truth is out ;^)
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2006, 04:54 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen L. Noe
Jeff, you blew it. We could have had him going for at least 5 pages! Oh well, the truth is out ;^)
I know, I had a moment of weakness. But I just watched that happen to a guy over at DVXuser.com - they had him all mad and worried and flustered for about 3 days before he finally searched through the forums for his answer. :) ...Funny as hell.
Jeff Kilgroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2006, 08:43 AM   #9
Tourist

bwwhahaa ... well I'm thankful for the moment of weakness =P
Nathan Estabrooks is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders