the Long Drive to cameraland at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old March 1st, 2006, 05:08 AM   #1
New Boot

the Long Drive to cameraland

Long time reader, first time participater. After selling my DVX100a 4 months ago, its been a long frustrating wait to get this damn HVX but it finally came in - I took the day off work and begged my friend to drive me down there to pick it up - straight out of the box this camera is a breeze to work with - if you've been using the DVX you'll GET this camera right away - p2 is great, love it, tape drive is completely useless - love p2, did I say I love p2? I love p2 - its going to completely restructure the way I do my shooting shim a dig business, capturing is no longer a hassle. I can watch, delete, preview and edit almost immediatley in the full flavor of crisp HD - this camera IS great and will blow the lid off this entire can of hollywood beans - we're storming the front gate and taking Barry Green with us - I'm stoked!

here is my first video straight out of the camera - filled up the 4 GB p2 pretty fast, however, I love the limitation of p2 record time - it really lets me manage and edit myself in my head - the crutch is a plus in my book

anyway, watch this stuff

I'm calling in "SICK" to work for the next few days so that I may provide you all with some footage to gaggle over, and hopefully in the intrum, maybe I can score a few gigs with this bad puppy

http://www.richard-darge.com/HD/ldrive.htm
Rick Darge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2006, 12:30 PM   #2
New Boot

I did some comparison shots last night between all the modes -

My take on all this resolution business...

this camera is purely a 720 camera. I didn't see any difference in shooting 1080P - their is a difference between 720 and 1080, although it is very very very slight - the only way you can see the difference is if you blow your picture up by 300% and the difference I see is in the compression, 1080 is less compressed looking - I'll probably never shoot in 1080, however, it would be wise to do so if blowing up to film heights - the extra lines may just win you that oscar

http://www.richard-darge.com/HD/differences.mov
Old March 1st, 2006, 01:20 PM   #3
Major Player

That was awesome! I can't believe how rich and filmlike the images are that is coming out of that thing.

[And I love your stream-consciousness- type of editing too etc.. very cool.]

Too awesome. I agree with you...this camera is going to facilitate and enable creative filmmakers to be their very best.

Anyone have a couple thousand bucks to spare?

I'm so jealous.

Congrats on your new tool!
John C. Chu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2006, 01:33 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Great stuff ! How much do you charge per day ?
Vince Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2006, 02:02 PM   #5
Regular Crew

So thats what Barbara looks like...cool to put a face with the voice
www.danmccainproductions.com
Dan McCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2006, 02:14 PM   #6
New Boot

thanks 4 da feedback dudes! - Vince, send me an email at rgdfilms@gmail.com and we'll talk about prices, I'd rather discuss that privately

I'm going out to shoot more stuff around LA today and I'll post the footage late late in the evening, I'll just keep posting all NEW footage in this thread as to not clutter the boards - if anyone wants me to shoot something specific, let me know
Old March 2nd, 2006, 12:44 AM   #7
New Boot

Here is todays,

http://www.richard-darge.com/HD/phone.htm
Old March 2nd, 2006, 02:16 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Great stuff! Thanks!

I do have to say, though, that your blowup picture which has Dv DV50 720p and 1080p makes 1080p look significantly better than 720.... no?
Barry Werger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2006, 07:53 AM   #9
New Boot

Hi Rick,

That's great footage. I saw in the clip with Barbara that at one stage you had 5 video streams going. What's your editing system, storage, etc and any other comments you have about editing DVCPRO HD.

Thanks
Terence Lehane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2006, 08:55 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Rick... The stuff looks great. Right out of the cam looks great and I can tell that you have DVX100 skills already. It's gonna take me a lot longer to get adjusted as I've only shot the 100 a couple of times.

I would say that the in shot color correction looks simply AWESOME. What did you use to do that? I'd also say that you do have a nack for some stream of consciousness biznasssss... Already looking like a pro and delivering the goods.

I would also say that the stock lens on this thing is friggin great. I think with a wide and a telephoto attachment, that would be pretty much all she wrote for most things.

Keep it up dude! Loved your stuff. Also love checking out our matriarch... Barb. So also don't forget us that are still languishing on the AVS pre-order list. I was told that I'd be getting my camera within 10 days at most.

So, you got 1 P2 card for the 5600 price? There seems to be some confussion on this. I also feel for Barb as she's going through Chemo now.... Got to send her the positive CHI....

Can't wait to see more!
Justyn Rowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2006, 05:17 AM   #11
New Boot

Here was today's outing ,

i love this cam

please hire me and my friend the HVX-200

http://www.richard-darge.com/HD/grif.htm
Old March 3rd, 2006, 06:38 AM   #12

10x for the RAM - HVX in SAN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Darge
thanks 4 da feedback dudes! - Vince, send me an email at rgdfilms@gmail.com and we'll talk about prices, I'd rather discuss that privately

I'm going out to shoot more stuff around LA today and I'll post the footage late late in the evening, I'll just keep posting all NEW footage in this thread as to not clutter the boards - if anyone wants me to shoot something specific, let me know
Rick,

Very nice. I was looking for HVX footage. I'm hoping to get the PAL version as asap. I pretty much downloaded it without paying attention to the surrounding text ;{ cranked it up on my iMac (choppy movement and all) and... lo and behold, my hometown, right their on the "silver" screen. It's out of the box? Good for you! I've never used a DVX, but even with the learning curve it's something to look forward to. KUTGW and good luck in your endeavors!

David
Old March 3rd, 2006, 09:49 AM   #13
New Boot

Very nice looking stuff. My camera is supposed to arrive today, so it's absolutely killing me that I can't start playing right this instant!
Jeff Putz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2006, 01:48 AM   #14
New Boot

Here is todays, called Tommy Cat - this cat lives in a box in my hallway, I would keep her in my apartment except my landlord is an a*s clown and charges PET rent, she is well fed though and very happy - she pooped on me in the middle of the night on two occasions unfortunately

http://www.richard-darge.com/HD/tommy.htm

enjoyo

Oh yea, my editing specs and comments on DVCPROHD,

So far I've just been shooting 720 24PN, 60P and 30P - To my eyeballs there is not much of a difference between 1080 and 720, however, I still have yet to view footage on a big plasma 1080 monitor or on a film blow up, this is where one would benifit from using 1080 - The colors are amazing on this camera. I use a Apple Cinema 20" display at home, hooked into a single 1.8 ghz G5 PowerMac w/ 3.5 gigs of ram - All my footage is being kept right now on a 500 GB G-RAID - I will probably backup final projects only for now and just delete raw footage unless its a paying job or something worth keeping - I had the chance to view the footage today on a 50" Philips Plasma 720P HD monitor, it looked freaking amazing-very very sharp and beautiful colors-no comparison to SD content - DVCPROHD is a breeze to work with on my computer, I would probably benifit from a dual processor, however, it runs just fine on my machine, it truly is like miniDV on steroids as some have commented

- Further, I love this stream of conciousness that is arising from the workflow - Before I would shoot random things on tape and store it away, too lazy to capture that 10 second little bit of footage - NOW, I am forced to unload my footage and move it and work with it, if I don't unload, I can't shoot new things, so I am in a constant state of cycling, I like this, it is very conducive to my nature and my non-linear brain, this is the future, what a great time to be making pictures - Eisenstein would have crapped his pants

- yesterday I filled up my 4 GB p2 card, I had a car adapter and a 250 GB G-Drive, that took 4 minutes to unload the footage, then I delted and I was on my way - enough said, im going back down to san diego this weekend to visit friends and shoot - now i just hope I can get some kind of work with this camera, I don't really know where to start or how to advertise myself, I guess what I'm doing now is best - its funny because I earn my living as an editor but I've always considered myself to be a much better shooter than a chopper, yet I've never been paid to shoot anything

skrewballz!
Old March 6th, 2006, 02:48 PM   #15
Major Player

"I took the day off work and begged my friend to drive me down there to pick it up "

Your friend took you to get the camera? Looks like the HVX won out between
you buying personal transportation or the camera. That's a true filmmaker! (Just kiddin') Nice looking images!
Eric Brown is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders