Anyone have any info on the VariZoom VZ-TFT7 7" on HVX camera monitor? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old March 11th, 2006, 10:00 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Anyone have any info on the VariZoom VZ-TFT7 7" on HVX camera monitor?

Anyone have any info on the VariZoom VZ-TFT7 7" on camera monitor? I know the Marshall R70P HDA monitor is the best, but at $1500 it is out of my price range. I have to cut some corners equipment wise or I'll never have enough money left for cast and crew for "Holy War".

I just sent this question below to VariZoom and I'm waiting for an answer, but they might be a little too pro on their own product so I thought I'd check in here and see if anyone here has any experience with this monitor. Here is a link to it.
http://varizoom.com/products/monitors/vztft7u.html

I'm looking at a couple of your VZ-TFT7 7" on camera monitors for my 2 Panasonic HVX200's. I'm in the process of filming an indie flick and plan to shoot in 720-24p-pn. The resolution is 1440X240 / 480X240 lines according to their spec sheet. I'm not all that knowledgeable when it comes to some of the specs so I was wondering if the resolution is good enough to use for focus in 720 HD. This looks like a great unit for me, but it would have to have enough resolution to be useful for focusing my cameras. Thanks.

David M Payne
David M. Payne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2006, 02:21 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

It is a standard definition monitor with 240 vertical lines of resolution. It will make a good framing monitor. I'm not sure if any standard definition LCD monitor is adequate for checking focus though.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2006, 04:10 AM   #3
Major Player

I'd echo that the Varizoom or any other low res TFT would only work for framing and viewing generally from afar for reference and for crew/talent/etc to see the image. In terms of focus, you'll be needing to use the HVX200 LCD with EVF DTL and/or Focus Assist, or a higher res external monitor. At first I was feeling lost with the stock LCD. But after a few weeks of using EVF DTL, I'm confident focusing using the HVX LCD.
Old March 12th, 2006, 09:57 AM   #4
Space Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steev Dinkins
I'd echo that the Varizoom or any other low res TFT would only work for framing and viewing generally from afar for reference and for crew/talent/etc to see the image.
The cam mounted LCD situation is overdue for a change. Only recently have companies even considered that we want 480 lines of rez in the field and now with 1/3" HDV/HD cams abounding, someone stands to make a mint if they can take laptop LCD tech and squeeze into an easly portable 16:9 720p field (or better yet cam mounted) monitor.

My guess is they could get it under $1000, they would sell as many as they could make. Almost every 1/3" HDV/HD owner gripes about camera LCD/Viewfinder rez.
Old March 12th, 2006, 01:36 PM   #5
Major Player

David,
I would be a bit leery about VeriZoom monitors. I bought one a while ago and it was very flimsy, lo-rez... the 1/4-20 mount FELL OFF after a while. I don't know if they've gotten better-- they look like they have, but that is my experience. If you can check it out in person before you buy, you'll likely thank yourself.

As for that Marshall, are you guys using it just for focus or as a reference monitor as well? I'd feel a bit naked without a CRT ref on set...
Old March 12th, 2006, 10:42 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks for the tip. Here is a bit of info and the links to these two 7" and 8" models.

This 7" looks good at $349.

XENARC 700Y™ / 700YV™
7" TFT LCD Monitor with VGA and Optional AV inputs about 1.28 Lbs.

NTSC / PAL Multi-System (700YV)
16x9 Aspect Ratio
High Resolution Display - up to 1600 x 1200
http://www.xenarc.com/product/700y.html
Now Available in Silver or Black!
Xenarc Technologies Corp. is one of the first LCD manufacturers to introduce a 7" LCD screen with VGA input. In-Car computing is the next step in computing technology, and we are committed to serving this up and coming technology sector.
Don't mistake this monitor for an ordinary video monitor that displays composite video. This 7" monitor has 800 x 480 pixels (2400 x 480 sub-pixels) that help display crystal clear texts and ultra-sharp images through your computer's VGA signal.
These monitors come included with an instruction manual, a monitor stand, an AC adaptor, a connection cable, and a cigarette lighter car adaptor.

But this one might be even better, except for the weight.
XENARC 800YV™
8" TFT LCD Monitor with VGA and AV inputs at $449.00 about 3Lbs.

http://www.xenarcdirect.com/store/pr...250&bestseller
Xenarc Technologies Corp. is one of the first LCD manufacturers to introduce a 8" LCD screen with VGA input. In-Car computing is the next step in computing technology, and we are committed to serving this up and coming technology sector.
Don't mistake this monitor for an ordinary video monitor that displays composite video. This 8" monitor has 640 x 480 pixels (1920 x 480 sub-pixels) that help display crystal clear texts and ultra-sharp images through your computer's VGA signal.
The brushed, anodized aluminum face plate gives the monitor a futuristic yet elegant look. The entire enclosure is constructed with aluminum, making the unit both strong and light weight.
This monitor comes included with an instruction manual, a copper monitor stand, a U-Shape Mount, an AC adaptor, a connection cable, and a cigarette lighter car adaptor.

Thoughts on these two?

David
David M. Payne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2006, 11:22 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M. Payne
XENARC 700Y™ / 700YV™
7" TFT LCD Monitor with VGA and Optional AV inputs about 1.28 Lbs.
You're definitely closer with getting into the alternative higher res LCD monitors for portable computing and video for automotive installation. However, I think you may find the S-video SD input lacking for critical focus. Another reason I didn't go that route was the spaghetti wires and lack of standard mounting. It can be dealt with though.

I'd like to know how those work out with the HVX200. Post back if you buy one and try it out.
Old March 13th, 2006, 08:42 AM   #8
Go Go Godzilla

Monitor Options

Hey Guys,

Thanks all for the heads-up about the Varizoom 7"; I actually did buy one last week to compliment my EZFX jib. I didn't realize until reading this thread that the rez on the Varizoom was so low.

I also bought the Varizoom HVX remote (Rock PZFI) and it would be a shame to have an external monitor that wouldn't allow me to remotely focus, so the VZ 7" goes back and it's a Marshall I'll be ordering today.

Marshall makes (2) 7" models that list 800x480 rez:

- V-R70DP which only has composite inputs and sells for $875 and;
- V-R70P0-HDA, which has component, s-video and composite inputs for $1350 (B&H).

On a side note, I looked at the Xenarc monitors David is linking to: These have VGA inputs only, not RGB component. So, unless there's an adapter to convert either composite, component or S-Video connections out of the HVX into a VGA connector, I don't see how that would work. (?)
Old March 13th, 2006, 10:37 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Lane
V-R70P0-HDA, which has component, s-video and composite inputs for $1350 (B&H)
That is *the* one to get. Ditch the lesser one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Lane
Xenarc monitors David is linking to: These have VGA inputs only, not RGB component. So, unless there's an adapter to convert either composite, component or S-Video connections out of the HVX into a VGA connector, I don't see how that would work. (?)
They have RCA composite in. Most likely the image will be soft coming off the RCA SD out of the HVX200, but I have no hands on experience.
Old March 13th, 2006, 11:05 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steev Dinkins
That is *the* one to get. Ditch the lesser one.
Does that Marshall monitor have a underscan/overscan switch?
Jay Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2006, 02:08 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dee
Does that Marshall monitor have a underscan/overscan switch?
No it does not. It shows a majority of the image, although probably not a true underscan.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders