The HVX200 performance guide. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old March 19th, 2006, 03:32 PM   #1
Regular Crew

The HVX200 performance guide.

To the people intending on buying this unit,
I have noticed on this, and other forums, that there are a plethora of threads all discussing the pro's and con's of what this camera can and can't do, What framerate it will and wont record to on either P2 or Firestore data storage units. I would suggest that one of the more learned gurus who visit this site post a sticky message that lists the complete characteristics of the camera. i.e what recording format the P2 cards will or won't accept. The fact that INT REC will only be possible on P2 etc etc. Also what NLE suites will accept the differing framerates. Can FCP edit 720/24p for example.

I think the presence of this sticky message would steer a lot of people in the right direction and reduce a long list of confused posts from people about to part with a considerable lump of cash only to find that the camera doesn't really suit their requirements.

I know I speak for myself when I say that this would certainly clear the mist of confusion that hangs over the daunting possibilities of this camera.

Regards,
Mark Thorpe.
Mark Thorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2006, 04:02 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

I made a stab at one (sort of), it's a companion site called www.p2info.net

Also, you can learn a lot just by downloading and reading the HVX200 operator's manual.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2006, 02:06 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Chris,
I have read through the owners manual to a certain extent and also visited your other site on many occaisions. My post was aimed more for those people looking to decide on whether or not this camera could be the one for them before parting with a lot of cash.

It would also serve, if posted as a sticky, as a point of reference as soon as most visitors to the site, old and new, arrive at this forum. If after reading the message people still have questions then I'm sure they will pitch those questions as normal.

Just thought it would be a good idea to have that information right there on page one of the forum for first time visitors to learn from.

Cheers,
Mark.
Old March 20th, 2006, 02:27 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Well you've got to find someone with the time to spare, the knowledge AND a thick skin and even more time for the all the nit-picking that would follow once you've posted it.
Paul Doherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2006, 02:31 AM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

Well to be honest we've often proposed a FAQ for each forum we've got. But coordinating the human muscle is the tricky part. It's a time-consuming proposition. Although... there would be far less nit-picking here than you'll find on other sites.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2006, 04:20 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Hi Guys,
All points accepted. I just fielded this opinion as a way to potentially offer a starting point for newcomers. People will always nit pick especially in the arena of image quality etc etc, just look at all the noise about 'noise'! For me, and I guess I share Chris' ideas on this, at the end of the day it's what the consumer sees that counts.

Engineers will always be engineers as they strive for engineering perfection and will always disect to the last pixel atom the image seen on a large screen from a distance of 3 inches!! My clients in the past have always been very pleased with my imaging services which have been broadcast in many countries around the world.

If I were to post, when possible, underwater footage shot on my yet to arrive but ordered HVX200 the same engineers will also find reason to raise the noise questions again. The mere medium of water as it absorbs light will require heavy duty lighting etc etc to attain an 'acceptable' quality by some.

Well I'm going off topic now and didn't mean to ramble on. Just my thoughts regarding the posting of a sticky. I guess new comers will have to scroll through the forrest of threads in order to wean the specific information they are looking for. By that time I'm sure they will be dizzy, confused, disoriented and maybe just a bit doubtful of their potential interest in this camera.

Regards,
Mark.
P.S As for someone having the time to put this sticky together I was under the impression that that is what the administrators are here for? Forgive me if I'm wrong.
Old March 20th, 2006, 10:09 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Thorpe
Hi Guys,
By that time I'm sure they will be dizzy, confused, disoriented and maybe just a bit doubtful of their potential interest in this camera.
Well at least they have this forum to look at, and if they're able to move their mouse while sitting in a nice comfy chair without becoming too annoyed or anxious for an hour or two, I'll personally congratulate them on using a great tool that no one had 20 years ago... the internet.

If you have a greater than ordinary sum of cash sitting around, buy this camera, read the manual, you won't be disappointed.

cheers!
Cassidy Bisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2006, 03:57 PM   #8
Regular Crew

All I proposed was a potentially problem solving sticky to help out those looking for all the pro's and cons of this particular cameras performance.

If thats not an option then so be it.

Cheers,
Mark.
Old March 21st, 2006, 04:03 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Thorpe
All I proposed was a potentially problem solving sticky to help out those looking for all the pro's and cons of this particular cameras performance.

If thats not an option then so be it.

Cheers,
Mark.
I would like something like that as well, the best way my partner and I have learned is just figuring it out ourselves through experience and this forum.. it may be the only option right now..
Old March 24th, 2006, 04:28 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Well I dare mention it but I guess people from other forums drop by here also. I would imagine that the main competitior for this forum, DVXuser, has been following this thread and posted exactly what it is I was suggesting on their page. Makes good and informative reading.

Maybe something to consider for this forum.

Cheers,
Mark.
Old March 27th, 2006, 01:06 PM   #11
Tourist

FYI, Barry Green, one of the most knowledgable guys around on the HVX is writing a book which should be a very useful resource on the camera. He's writing it for Panasonic, and he also wrote THE book on the DVX. He's on this forum as well as dvxuser.com.
Richard Gale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders