Need help with specs of a commercial shoot at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old April 17th, 2006, 04:04 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Need help with specs of a commercial shoot

I am shooting a commercial next week on the HVX-200 and need some help. It is pretty simple. One take with camera tracking backwards. I will be shooting on the HVX-200 as a way of getting my feet wet so I can decide as whether to buy one now or wait until the HVX-200A or what ever comes out.

My question is if this is going to be seen on television I should shoot in 1080/60i right? On top of that should I use the P2 cards or should I use a DVCPRO-HD tape to shoot on? I have never used either and my concern is running out of space on the P2 cards (I would only have 2). I have a hard drive that I am about to start using as backup for my Mac, it is a 250GB external. Am I correct in understanding that you can connect the harddrive directly to the camera and dump footage onto it? Let me know what you guys think. I see that a lot of you are well learned in this camera already. Any advice would be of great help.
Joseph Ivey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2006, 05:36 PM   #2
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

IMO if you want a "video" feel-look shoot 1080i ..
if you want "FILM" feel-look shoot 24p ...

if it's going to end up SD then i would shoot 720p onto P2
Don Donatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2006, 07:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Ivey
Am I correct in understanding that you can connect the harddrive directly to the camera and dump footage onto it?
yep -

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=62580
Old April 17th, 2006, 09:31 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
should I use the P2 cards or should I use a DVCPRO-HD tape to shoot on? I have never used either and my concern is running out of space on the P2 cards (I would only have 2).
That camera does not shoot DVCPRO HD to tape...only to the P2 card. The tape only records DV.

For the workflow to get this footage into FCP, go to www.proapptips.com/shane P2 INTRODUCTION.
Shane Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2006, 12:57 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Can you connect camera to HDD via USB2.0 or just firewire?

Do I have to do anything to the HDD before hand?
Joseph Ivey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2006, 11:59 PM   #6
Go Go Godzilla

Joseph,

I'd highly suggest that if you don't already own the HVX that you download and read the HVX manual which is available on the Panasonic website. All your questions about operation and compatibility can easily be answered.

Give the manual a good read-through; if you're still in the dark about exactly how things work (and most of us have done our share of head-scratching on this system) then hit us up with your questions.
Old April 21st, 2006, 07:29 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
My question is if this is going to be seen on television I should shoot in 1080/60i right?
It depends on the network. Some are 1080, some are 720. You'd have to see what they broadcast. Otherwise you'll have to down/up-convert, which is a waste of time when you can source in either format.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders