Backingup data at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old April 30th, 2006, 04:38 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Backingup data

Hey what have you guys been tossing around as means to store data? Short of backing up to HD Cam what have you guys thought of? Taking hard drives and storing them with all the video files on them?
Old April 30th, 2006, 07:30 PM   #2
New Boot

I use hard drives. Panasonic also suggests using data tape back up systems in a white paper called P2-Workflow (which is different from the HVX200_FCP_WkFw.pdf). I will send it to you if you want.
Kathy Nielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2006, 08:43 PM   #3
Major Player

I back up all P2 cards to DVD-R and harddrives.
In Photoshop I make a contact sheet from the ICON .bmp files and print that on the DVD-R as a handy reminder of what is in that backup.
Mike Schrengohst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2006, 09:08 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy Nielsen
I use hard drives. Panasonic also suggests using data tape back up systems in a white paper called P2-Workflow (which is different from the HVX200_FCP_WkFw.pdf). I will send it to you if you want.
Thanks Kathy that would be great.
Old April 30th, 2006, 10:26 PM   #5
Go Go Godzilla

HDD's the best bet

Fred,

This question has been addressed as a side note in several different posts but the short answer is, HDD's are the most cost effective and stable method for archiving HVX footage.
Old May 1st, 2006, 11:53 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Since everyone is using different wording I'm going to post all the links for the threads I can find regarding archiving, back up, backing up and other storage of P2 media.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...ight=Back+data

Well I guess it's only one. In that one someone refers to another thread found via HVX200 + storage, but I can't find it.
Old May 1st, 2006, 12:51 PM   #7
Inner Circle

I 'was' shoving hard drives into my computer, but now my computer tells me that 10 devices are enough, two optical, 6 internal drives and 2 external drives.

So now I'll have to swap out or something. I really just wait for a good bargain on (external link) and then shove a drive in. I'm a collector and don't like to dump footage, even if I can recapture, but I'm sure I'll have to change.

I know that Lacie is coming out with some 500 gig plus externals that look pretty nice.
Old May 1st, 2006, 01:12 PM   #8
Major Player

I've used CDs, and then DVDs, and now ditching DVDs in favor of hard drives. I finally have an SATA PCIe card on my QuadCore Mac for external storage with hot swappable drive bays. I am now building a collection of hard drives instead of way too many DVDs. I keep the hot swap drives in a dust free cabinet. With the new Seagate perp drives coming in at 750GB, I believe 500GB drives will be coming down in price soon. So I'll scale in storage by getting 500GB drives soon. 12 X 500GB = 6TB. :) If I could afford it, 12 X 750GB drives = 9TB.

And.. Blu-Ray on the way! Hopefully end of this year, so that can become an archival medium. I'll still be using hard drives in a huge way though.
Old May 1st, 2006, 03:18 PM   #9
Trustee

buy.com has a 500 gb external usb hdd for $250 right now... outpost.com has a no-rebate, 500 gb seagate internal drive for $220.

if you like bargains, watch the hot deals forum on fatwallet.com... i've been getting seagate hdd's for about the same price per gig as a dlt tape... but you save a grand by not having to buy the tape drive.
Dan Euritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2006, 03:25 PM   #10
Trustee

HDDs are not stable IMHO unless they are mirrored or in a RAID5... ask anyone at a big audio or video production house how stable even the BEST HDDs are... you will find ALL of them back up to tape or have Raid5s that get backed up every so often...

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2006, 03:27 PM   #11
Regular Crew

What's the cost of backing up to tape drives?
Old May 1st, 2006, 04:03 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Finn
What's the cost of backing up to tape drives?

And my question is, would use of tape drive mean that to get access to the footage again, would you end up capturing on a 1 to 1 time frame like you would from a DV tape, or would that be more like copying a file from a hard drive. I haven't had any experience with tape drives.
Old May 1st, 2006, 04:14 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos
And my question is, would use of tape drive mean that to get access to the footage again, would you end up capturing on a 1 to 1 time frame like you would from a DV tape, or would that be more like copying a file from a hard drive. I haven't had any experience with tape drives.
ditto. 10 Character minimum
Old May 2nd, 2006, 01:01 AM   #14
Major Player

Tape drives - no thanks. Talk about expensive and slow. I'll deploy redundant hard drives over tape drives until Blu-Ray hits. And as I've stated before, regarding longevity and data integrity, if you're worried about your media lasting for decades, most likely the format will grow obsolete before the media fails. But then again, car accidents happen. Live life while ya can, which includes using technology that's easy to use. :)
Old May 2nd, 2006, 10:39 AM   #15
Trustee

BR appears to be the best solution going forward, tape drives are indeed over-priced and PAINFULLY slow.

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders