CinePorter™ - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old June 6th, 2006, 11:13 AM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Linetsky
You will not be able to use standard DVI cables, since the cable itself is far different from a standard DVI cable and the pinout for the pairs and power is proprietary. We will list pricing when it's ready.
While I understand it's not DVI, what would be the reasoning behind a non-standard pinout for the cabling?

You probably can't answer that in detail... Most likely it's simply due to getting everything to fit together and keeping power leads located in a good spot vs. signal data, not necessarily with the connector or within the cable itself, but inside the P2 interface card and/or the CinePorter module. Anyway, just curious.

When you make your extension cables available and also final production versions of the CinePorter, I have a recommendation for the DVI connectors. DO NOT MAKE THEM WHITE, which is the standard color for DVI-I/DVI-D connectors in PC land AND DON'T MAKE THEM BLACK, which most common A/V DVI cables are. I would suggest a nice bright orange, green, red, purple, etc... It would serve as a visual reminder that these connectors are different. Also have a matching molded or heat-shrink collar on each end of an extension cable that says it's a CinePorter cable and not DVI.

Sorry if I seem pushy on the subject, I just see an expensive accident waiting to happen. ...Either by someone plugging a standard DVI cable into the CinePorter or a CinePorter cable into a DVI switcher/scaler/PC/etc..

Another possibility is to maybe use a custom clamp or clips on the CinePorter "DVI" cable and port. That way it physically won't fit onto a standard DVI connector, nor will a standard DVI cable fit onto the CinePorter.
Jeff Kilgroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2006, 11:19 AM   #17
Specialized Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Galbraith
When you say the fan is "virtually silent"...

is it quiet enough to use the on camera mic as a reasonable sound source?
Yes.

David
David Linetsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2006, 11:23 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Yes.

David

COOL !!! !
Alan Galbraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2006, 11:30 AM   #19
Specialized Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Kilgroe
While I understand it's not DVI, what would be the reasoning behind a non-standard pinout for the cabling?

You probably can't answer that in detail... Most likely it's simply due to getting everything to fit together and keeping power leads located in a good spot vs. signal data, not necessarily with the connector or within the cable itself, but inside the P2 interface card and/or the CinePorter module. Anyway, just curious.

When you make your extension cables available and also final production versions of the CinePorter, I have a recommendation for the DVI connectors. DO NOT MAKE THEM WHITE, which is the standard color for DVI-I/DVI-D connectors in PC land AND DON'T MAKE THEM BLACK, which most common A/V DVI cables are. I would suggest a nice bright orange, green, red, purple, etc... It would serve as a visual reminder that these connectors are different. Also have a matching molded or heat-shrink collar on each end of an extension cable that says it's a CinePorter cable and not DVI.

Sorry if I seem pushy on the subject, I just see an expensive accident waiting to happen. ...Either by someone plugging a standard DVI cable into the CinePorter or a CinePorter cable into a DVI switcher/scaler/PC/etc..

Another possibility is to maybe use a custom clamp or clips on the CinePorter "DVI" cable and port. That way it physically won't fit onto a standard DVI connector, nor will a standard DVI cable fit onto the CinePorter.
You are right on the pin out question, Jeff. There is a new connector that we are testing that doesn't resemble anything most would be familiar with. If it tests out we may move to it. If not the final molding for the cable is already chosen to be the CinePorter™ green.

Your concerns are justified and our focus groups agree as well. We asked engineering to arrange the pins in such a way that if someone connected a DVI device it would not damage either one. We are also plugging some of the holes to "key" them. The lack of good connectors that would not cost $100 a piece, has left us with few choices.

David
David Linetsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2006, 10:49 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
You are right on the pin out question, Jeff. There is a new connector that we are testing that doesn't resemble anything most would be familiar with. If it tests out we may move to it. If not the final molding for the cable is already chosen to be the CinePorter™ green.
David, looks like you guys have it all figured out. Can't wait to see the final product!

BTW: Green is my favorite color. :)
Jeff Kilgroe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders