I need some advice...and orientation at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old June 5th, 2006, 08:47 PM   #1
Regular Crew

I need some advice...and orientation

Some months ago I began (with a VX2000) a documentary about the construction of a building. I must to do near 8 interviews, and at this time I made 3 with some small audio problems...The final work will be in SD

In one month I will receive my HVX200 and some stuff...so I am considering to re start all the work with the new camera....So, I have some doubts if records SD at 480/60i on miniDV tape, or record first 1080 or 720 (make a backup for a future editing in HD) and then make a conversion dubbing from 1080 or 720 to 480 in tape.

So my questions are:

Has my idea any sense? Can I make the dubbing of 1080 or 720 from a firestore to 480 on miniDV tape? If yes, what's the best option? 1080/60i?....720/60p?

Any comments or recomendations about will be very appreciate...

FP
Federico Prieto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2006, 10:19 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Federico Prieto
Some months ago I began (with a VX2000) a documentary about the construction of a building. I must to do near 8 interviews, and at this time I made 3 with some small audio problems...The final work will be in SD

In one month I will receive my HVX200 and some stuff...so I am considering to re start all the work with the new camera....So, I have some doubts if records SD at 480/60i on miniDV tape, or record first 1080 or 720 (make a backup for a future editing in HD) and then make a conversion dubbing from 1080 or 720 to 480 in tape.

So my questions are:

Has my idea any sense? Can I make the dubbing of 1080 or 720 from a firestore to 480 on miniDV tape? If yes, what's the best option? 1080/60i?....720/60p?

Any comments or recomendations about will be very appreciate...

FP
I'm in the same situation, Federico. We were halfway through a documentary on a building project when I decided to switch to the HVX. The earlier footage is on Beta SP, and the final project will be standard def.

In our case, since it's a long-term project, we decided to shoot in DVCPro50, then dub the footage to Digital Betacam at the end of each day, for archiving. It matches the older Beta very closely.

If you're going to start all over, I'd consider 1080, then downconverting to 480 for your edit. The 1080 gives you the option of using the footage for something else (even still photos, if you don't print them too large) in the future, with the highest image quality. With construction, there's often lots of tiny details in the frame, and even if they're lost in the conversion to 480, they're on the original footage, if you ever need it for other purposes.
Old June 6th, 2006, 09:55 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the info:

Does anyone here knows if I can make /without troubles) the conversion dubbing to minidv tape from 1080/60i to 480/60i using the Firestore FS-100 and the HVX200...

If I shot in HD what must I consider for to frame the interviewed in an adecuate way, if my final work will downconverted to SD?...more centered?

thanks
Federico Prieto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2006, 10:19 AM   #4
Major Player

The HVX has 4:3 frame markers.
Shoot 720 24pN if possible with
the P2 cards, post in 720 24p.
Then worry about making a final
SD output from there.
Don't know about the firestore.

This way you keep all editing and graphics
in 4:2:2.
No reason to dub everything to DV and start
editing from there.
On FCP editing DVCPRO HD is about as easy
as DV editing. You just have to watch your
graphics on the 16:9 and make sure
you keep
them in a 4:3 if that is your ultimate goal.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders