Does FCP 5 support 720pn/25 PAL yet?? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old July 12th, 2006, 01:17 PM   #1
New Boot

Does FCP 5 support 720pn/25 PAL yet??

Does FCP 5 support 720pn/25 PAL yet??

Thanks,
ADAM
Adam Lokman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2006, 07:05 PM   #2
Major Player

Not yet. But a handy piece of software called P2 LOG from www.imagineproducts.com will let you import it as 50i...and you retain your 25P look.

Soon. Possibly the Apple Developers conference in August...but don't quote me. Just handing out rumors..
Shane Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2006, 03:57 AM   #3
New Boot

Any PAL guys out there using FCP for P2 stuff?

If any PAL guys out there are working this way on fcp - importing 720pn/25p as 50i via P2 LOG's conversion, I would really appreciate some feedback and your advise. Most of the post houses I work with are running fcp so I have to deliver stuff they can read.

Now I have to buy a powerbook to convert my clips. I was planing on working on windows os in the field. I can't afford both :(

When is the HVX202 PAL forum gonna be up? He..he.. :)

Thanks.
Old July 14th, 2006, 12:57 AM   #4
Major Player

Buy a used powerbook on Ebay. a 15 inch with 1.5 ghz CPU is enough. P2 log works perfectly with Pal 720p. I, however, have been shooting mainly in 1080p25. No need for p2log, and everything works fine. I also have 2x 8gb cards and a P2store.
Old July 14th, 2006, 10:34 AM   #5
New Boot

Thanks Sergio!
Are u using a 1.5Ghz 15" Powerbook for your stuff? Can you edit 720p/25p on a 1.5ghz 15" powerbook in FCP 5?? The graphics card is only 64mb right? Is it enough??

Thanks.
Old July 17th, 2006, 01:15 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Lokman
Thanks Sergio!
Are u using a 1.5Ghz 15" Powerbook for your stuff? Can you edit 720p/25p on a 1.5ghz 15" powerbook in FCP 5?? The graphics card is only 64mb right? Is it enough??

Thanks.
Adam, I'm editing in a Powerbook 1.67ghz (The 17"). I think the graphic card is a bit better than 64mb (128?). However, reports from reliable people (like Barry Green) say that even with a 1.3 ghz Powerbook the DVCPROHD (720p) footage plays smoothly. In my case, I can view and edit both 1080p and 720p footage no problem. I assume that, for logging and basic editing, the 15" 1.5 is more than enough (I thing there's a 15" 1.5 with a 128mb graphics card built in- I would go for that- it will certainly help in applications like motion, After Effects and Livetype- they run acceptably in my Powerbook)

For 720p, you really need the $99 P2 log software. I downloaded the demo and everything works perfectly. I edited a clip but am finding major difficulties on getting someone to host it. P2 log is also an excelent logging software, so it definetly is a must buy.

EDIT- Be sure to have a firewire 800 7200rpm external drive with you if you really want dvcprohd editing- basic. I use a 500gb Lacie Big Disk Extreme (built in aid 0) for on the go projects. A bit heavy, but quick and reliable.
Old July 19th, 2006, 08:44 PM   #7
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Lokman
If any PAL guys out there are working this way on fcp - importing 720pn/25p as 50i via P2 LOG's conversion, I would really appreciate some feedback and your advise. Most of the post houses I work with are running fcp so I have to deliver stuff they can read.

Now I have to buy a powerbook to convert my clips. I was planing on working on windows os in the field. I can't afford both :(

When is the HVX202 PAL forum gonna be up? He..he.. :)

Thanks.

Hi Adam,

We have been shooting and cutting with 720p25pn quite a lot recently, and have been using P2 Log as part of the workflow. It is great. I did a test the other day using 720p25pn to shoot at all of the different frame rates available on the HVX202EN, and it worked a treat. I was able to bring them into FCP as either undercranked or overcranked (depending on how it was shot) and start cutting immediately.

A good tip if you are interfacing with other FCP suites is to have a copy of the Imagine DVCPROHD passthrough codec. This gives QuickTime (and hence Final Cut Pro) the ability to natively handle the 720p25pn footage.

http://imagineproducts.com/dldrivers.htm

Cheers

Al
Alister Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2006, 09:33 AM   #8
New Boot

Thanks for all the info guys!

Thanks for all the info guys!

Adam.
Adam Lokman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders