HVX with interchangeable lenses coming in '07? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old July 19th, 2006, 03:55 PM   #1
Major Player

HVX with interchangeable lenses coming in '07?

Recently worked on a shoot in LA where the DP was insistent that Panasonic had one planned for '07 (according to reputable sources, apparently). Anyone else heard this?

Peter
Peter Richardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2006, 10:28 PM   #2
Major Player

I think what you're talking about is the P2-version of the HDX900, or some camera like that model, which has been mentioned as a future release sometime around next year.
Old July 19th, 2006, 10:30 PM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

Jack is right -- Panasonic showed a DVCPRO HD P2 camera at NAB based on the SDX900.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2006, 11:10 PM   #4
Major Player

Yes, this is what I thought as well. Mentioned this to the DP but he seemed to think it was the HVX form factor. Oh well, just a rumor (though I imagine this thread will get a few views).

Peter
Peter Richardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2006, 01:55 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Considering both 1/2" and 1/3" HD lenses have been developed now for the XDHD and the JVC line of cameras, the glass options are there for a shoulder mounted HVX.

I guess it would depend on how hard Panasonic think it would hit their Varicam market or whether the camera would offer a compelling alternative to the 330/350 or 110/250.

A shoulder mounted HVX, with interchangeable lenses, even 1/3" will suffice, with HD-SDI out, 4x p2 slot for the 16GB cards....Sounds good to me.
Scott Webster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2006, 08:10 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Sounds like....

Hi all:

Sounds pretty much like the upcoming HDX-900 except that the 900 is a tape-based camera. I can't think of a compelling reason for Panasonic to release a camera between the HVX-200 and the HDX-900 unless they are trying to hit the $10,000.00 to $20,000.00 price point with P2 capability. I guess it's possible but sounds as if they introduced this new camera, not many would buy the HDX-900.

Who knows? Maybe it will happen?

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2006, 09:04 AM   #7
Barry Wan Kenobi

They've already announced the HPC-2000, which is a 2/3" shoulder-mount model with P2 slots.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2006, 08:20 AM   #8
Go Go Godzilla

With all the work I've been doing lately I haven't had time to catch up on the rumor mill, but an upgrade path from the HVX looks imminent now!

Can't wait 'til November...
Old July 21st, 2006, 08:33 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Lane
With all the work I've been doing lately I haven't had time to catch up on the rumor mill, but an upgrade path from the HVX looks imminent now!

Can't wait 'til November...

why do you say that? just curious...thanks...=)
Jaser Stockert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2006, 01:03 PM   #10
Go Go Godzilla

Jaser,

Because I'd love to have a body that is HVX-like but has interchangeable lenses, mainly for better mating to 35mm lens adapters. However, I would sorely miss AUTO-focus since that adds capabilities that no ENG-type body can match.

The other thing that would be a critical feature match would be the Vari-cam options. If the HPC2000 doesn't have that then I wouldn't get one. So far, it looks like the HPC is supposed to have an ENG mission which doesn't require variable frame rates. So, as more news comes out I'll figure out whether or not we're on an upgrade path or not - but I'm hopeful.
Old July 29th, 2006, 12:11 PM   #11
Go Go Godzilla

This thread really got me thinking about future HD camera options:

First, I'm guessing the HVX will have it's revisions just like the DVX100 did (original, A and B versions). When or if that happens those newer versions will obviously make the camera better (cleaner images, more Vari-frame options etc).

What I've been daydreaming about ever since we shot our British Airways spot was an HVX-feature type camera with removable lenses. However, if the HPC2000 doesn't have a Vari-cam mode then it wouldn't be worth the $27k it's going to list for - not for me anyway. But then again, 24p, tapeless, 4:2:2 color with lens choices...hmm.

What's interesting about the HPC2000 is that when compared to it's nearest cousin the HDX900, the HPC does give more flexibility. The HDX900 can only record 33 minutes - to tape, mind you - while our venerable HVX currently gives us 41 mintues on (2) 8GB cards. Neither the HPC nor HDX do variable frame rates, so right now the HVX is the ONLY camera that can do what it does on P2 media.

The HPC is also going to use the H.264 codec which allows for full DVCPRO-HD bandwidth compressed but without the lossy long-GOP mpeg-2 that XDCAM is using. BTW: Did you know that the so-called HD-XDCAM is really shooting HDV, not HD-CAM? Yep, 4:2:0 color space, from a $16-27k body. Nonsense.

Last edited by Robert Lane; July 29th, 2006 at 08:32 PM.
Robert Lane is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders