50i -? is it progressive? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old August 1st, 2006, 05:47 AM   #1
Major Player

50i -? is it progressive?

in 1080 50i is camera recording progressive frames and uses interlaced mode for just transfering data or is it only interlaced scanning if I want 1080 lines?

because I see that in spec it says it can record 720p or 1080i so what does that mean? 1080i is not a progressive scan?

www.sarke.ge
----------------
Old August 1st, 2006, 06:22 AM   #2
Inner Circle

in 1080 mode, the camera records 25p (progressive frames) within the interlaced stream.. much like the way DVX100 does progressive scan.. or teh HVX does non "PN" progressive..

with PAL what u get is a 2:2 pulldown
NOT frame doubling (apparently.. but the 2:2 suggests otherwise..), but first frame priority, however i HAVE found that slowmo with this technique to be ultra ULTRA smoth and sharp so it wouldnt surprise me if the second frame is actually carrying workable data...

ITs either that or i cant explain why progressive scan using this progressive technique can be so smooth for slowmotion... If someone can explain it, id love to hear it..
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2006, 09:28 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Jefferson
in 1080 mode, the camera records 25p (progressive frames) within the interlaced stream
Exactly, and generally it's normally described as "psf" - "progressive, segmented frame". From a transmission point of view the signal is the same as 1080i/25, but whereas with true interlace the lines in each field are 1/50th second apart, with psf the odd and even lines are captured at the same time - same as 1080p/25.

But whereas with 1080p/25 the lines would then be read out sequentially, with psf they are sent 1,3,5,7....etc for a field, then 2,4,6,8....etc for the next field, just as with interlace.

Currently in the UK sport is broadcast 1080i/25 (to give 50Hz motion), whereas such as drama is produced and broadcast 1080psf/25. There the 25Hz motion is positively desired as "film-look".
David Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2006, 12:45 AM   #4
Major Player

www.sarke.ge
----------------

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders