Is Aspect HD usefull for DVCPro 50 DataRate? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old August 25th, 2006, 03:35 PM   #1
Tourist

Is Aspect HD usefull for DVCPro 50 DataRate?

Just joined today and I'm quite new to film and the technology around it so if I'm doing anything wrong, I appologize ahead of time and please let me know.

I'm producing numerous 30sec-1min clips for the web and I've learned I can get the best quality and size when filming in DVCPro 50 (480i/60i) on my new HVX200 and storing them on the FireStore FS100. I've downloaded the trial version of the Aspect HD which helps me convert the .mxf files using the HD Link on the FireStore to .avi's so I can import them to Adobe Premiere Pro 2.

Besides converting the mxf files to avi's using the HD Link, would it still be benefitial for me to use AspectHD since I'm now actually not filming in HD anymore? Can I purchase the HD Link separately? And, I believe I read that there is a slight compression when converting from mxf to avi using the HD Link, is this the case and if so what can I use to minimize any effect on the raw data off of the FS100 or is that even possible?

I have tried to read and search the forums but couldn't pinpoint answers to my situation. If this has been covered, could you provide a link to that location?

Thanks for your time and consideration.
Wilco Ravestijn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2006, 12:05 PM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Wilco,

We don't do much testing in SD but Aspect HD can be used for SD productions also. If you want the features of HDLink, you can consider Connect HD, however that offer no integration with Premiere Pro -- it can be made to work but doesn't assist for any real-time enhancements. Compression into CineForm AVI is very light -- for lightest compression use "Large" and "Enable Smart Render" (this is mainly for Vegas users but it will also slightly lessen the compression.) If you do to Prospect HD that others two addition quality modes.
Old August 26th, 2006, 12:08 PM   #3
CTO, CineForm Inc.

I'm supprize you find shooting 60i best of web productions, and everything online normally benefits (qaulity wise) from progressive aquistion.
Old August 28th, 2006, 12:58 PM   #4
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Newman
I'm supprize you find shooting 60i best of web productions, and everything online normally benefits (qaulity wise) from progressive aquistion.
That's what I thought too but the people I'm working with and the tests we've done show differently. We'll keep testing and I'll let you know what we come up with.

Also, can I purchase the HD Link separately which is really the only thing I need to convert the mxf files to avi? Or you know of other software that converts mxf files to avi with no compression or alterations to the original file? I want to effect the file convertion as little as possible since it can have an effect on compressing the file later for the web. Thanks for your time and advice David.
Old August 28th, 2006, 01:33 PM   #5
CTO, CineForm Inc.

In a previous post I suggested Connect HD (although with limitations within PPro). Info here http://www.cineform.com/products/ConnectHD.htm
Old August 28th, 2006, 01:43 PM   #6
Tourist

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I read up on the Connect HD and that would be a good solution however, you had mentioned there is a slight compression when converting.

Even though the compression with the HD Link is minimal, do you know if there are any products out there that will not effect the file when converting in terms of compression? Thanks,

Wilco
Old August 28th, 2006, 02:08 PM   #7
Major Player

Also you may want to consider
http://www.dvfilm.com/raylight/index.htm
which has been getting good reviews on the forum. No personal experience with it.
Old August 28th, 2006, 02:36 PM   #8
Inner Circle

I rented an HVX last Friday for the first time. I used Raylight, and it worked great. It was nice to be able to preview in the various three modes on the laptop out in the field. The low-res version gave us a feel for the motion, the medium res gave us a nice in-between, and the high-res version let us double check our focus. It was nice to have those options when working with a moderate Pentium-M machine.

BTW, we shot everything in 720PN, except the interval mode stuff, which requires 720-60. The variable speeds were a great feature for us.

We didn't have any workflow issues at all, once I got the P2 driver installed properly on the laptop. However, to be honest, one could get roughly the same workflow with DV using a laptop and a spare DV camera as a deck. Just swap tapes often and have somebody injest as you continue filming. Sure, there's some rewind time, and capture is fixed at real-time, but there's no HDV or DVCPro conversion required.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders