Travelling Overseas with Camera -- 220 vs 100 Volt? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old September 19th, 2006, 11:22 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Travelling Overseas with Camera -- 220 vs 100 Volt?

I'm travelling to India around X-Mas with my panasonic camera and laptop stuff, and have 2 questions...

Wouldn't I need a power strip for 220V or something where the camera, p2 reader, battery pack, Mac Book Pro since it's in India, or are all of these accessible for 220 v as well as 110 v?

Also, does anyone have any information about airport security in terms of carrying the camera in a hard case, and whether I'm going to get hassled with all of the electronic gear thinking I'm a terrorist or something? I've called the airlines but they're kind of giving me the run around, and I don't want to check it in as luggage...

My DP will hjave the camera and a backpack, and I will have a backpack and the laptop reader, etc. in a another case -- hoping that we can do it all as carry-ons ---

Just seeing if anyone has had some/any experience with this.

Cracias,
J
Justin Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2006, 12:46 PM   #2
Major Player

Check your devices: My battery chargers, for example, all indicate they are good from 110v to 240v ... all I need is the appropriate plug adapter. Similarly the power brick for one of my lap tops. Most devices eventually want DC power, so the process to convert from AD to DC accepts a wide range of inputs.

Should be written in fine print on the device itself, if I remember UL and CSA rules.

GB
R Geoff Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2006, 01:46 PM   #3
New Boot

I never been to India but i traveled quiet extensivly to south east asia in the last years.i always was worried about that,what would security think of me carrying all that stuff. I was also concerned that immigration would think i'm from some kind of press organisation. Guess what i never had a single problem. Thats traveling with laptop,video camera,external preamp,shotgun,windscreen,digital still camera, ect.....

My technique has always been to keep the vital more expensive stuff with me as carry on.Using a generic ugly looking backpack instead of a hard case is the best idea. So when you travel around nobody can identify you are carrying expensive high tech gear.

But last june i made the mistake of my life. I changed my habits and bought this pelican carry on case. But guess what? the idiot air canada employee refused it even tough it was legal carry on size case. Anyhow after arguing for a while i let go of my camera and they check it in. I probably felt over confident cause after all these years i never lost any luggage. Guess what i never saw my camera again. I later got a letter from singapore airlines saying they cannot take responsability of any checked in luggage that travels trought the united states. Because of the new security bla bla bla...

I'm curious,what do you intend to shoot theyre? What kind of work flow are you planning. I've been holding off buying the hvx partly because of the p2 recording time limitations when shooting in hard core remote locations....
Pierre Petit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2006, 01:54 PM   #4
RED Code Chef

Just make sure all the power adapters have the correct voltages AND (!)
frequencies listed. For example, here in western Europe we have 230 volts /
50 Hz instead of the US 110 volts / 60 Hz. My DELL laptop's adapter works
both here as well as in the US, so does my Apple MacBook, Nokia phone
chargers and chargers for my Canon RebelXT DSLR as well as PowerShot
pocket camera.

Just check the labels and make sure you know ALL the power details of the
country you are going to. Then you need to make sure you have the correct
cables or an adapter plug (I've got one that allows me to plug my Dutch style
connector into a US outlet).

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2006, 01:58 PM   #5
Inner Circle

With the heightened security at almost every access point, it's well worth taking a photocopy of the invoices/bills of sale for the kit you're taking - it does help satisfy some of the customs officials who perhaps won't quite understand the purpose of the kit, and why you have it.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2006, 08:12 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks y'all...

Great ideas and info fellas -- thank you so much...!
Old September 19th, 2006, 08:14 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Pierre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Petit
I never been to India but i traveled quiet extensivly to south east asia in the last years.i always was worried about that,what would security think of me carrying all that stuff. I was also concerned that immigration would think i'm from some kind of press organisation. Guess what i never had a single problem. Thats traveling with laptop,video camera,external preamp,shotgun,windscreen,digital still camera, ect.....

My technique has always been to keep the vital more expensive stuff with me as carry on.Using a generic ugly looking backpack instead of a hard case is the best idea. So when you travel around nobody can identify you are carrying expensive high tech gear.

But last june i made the mistake of my life. I changed my habits and bought this pelican carry on case. But guess what? the idiot air canada employee refused it even tough it was legal carry on size case. Anyhow after arguing for a while i let go of my camera and they check it in. I probably felt over confident cause after all these years i never lost any luggage. Guess what i never saw my camera again. I later got a letter from singapore airlines saying they cannot take responsability of any checked in luggage that travels trought the united states. Because of the new security bla bla bla...

I'm curious,what do you intend to shoot theyre? What kind of work flow are you planning. I've been holding off buying the hvx partly because of the p2 recording time limitations when shooting in hard core remote locations....
I am mostly planning on shooting images of the culture, tem,ples, skylines, architecture, Ganges River, etc...for a project on consciousness. Your idea re: a soft, regular bag is a smart idea -- thanks for the tip --Nice hard cases could tip someone off for sure. Better safe than sorry. Cheers...
Old September 19th, 2006, 08:17 PM   #8
Regular Crew

rob...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Lohman
Just make sure all the power adapters have the correct voltages AND (!)
frequencies listed. For example, here in western Europe we have 230 volts /
50 Hz instead of the US 110 volts / 60 Hz. My DELL laptop's adapter works
both here as well as in the US, so does my Apple MacBook, Nokia phone
chargers and chargers for my Canon RebelXT DSLR as well as PowerShot
pocket camera.

Just check the labels and make sure you know ALL the power details of the
country you are going to. Then you need to make sure you have the correct
cables or an adapter plug (I've got one that allows me to plug my Dutch style
connector into a US outlet).

I just found out that electricity in India is 240 Volts, alternating at 50 cycles per second. So, if my gear isn't conducive to those settings then what kind of transformer/adapter do I need? I guess I'll figure it out according to what piece of gear does not work.....thanks so much.
Old September 19th, 2006, 11:54 PM   #9
RED Code Chef

Sounds like it is the same system as here (230 volts, probably not 240). Check
all your equipment and if something will not work tell us and we'll see what
other options you have. Sometimes you can get a euro power adapter for a
specific bit of gear, otherwise you could get a power converter (which will
convert from the foreign source to US standards) or try to get a similar device
over there (hair blower for example).

If you bring light kits remember that the bulbs themselves operate at a certain
power level (usually not the device itself).

Old September 20th, 2006, 01:05 AM   #10
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Connor
I just found out that electricity in India is 240 Volts, alternating at 50 cycles per second. So, if my gear isn't conducive to those settings then what kind of transformer/adapter do I need? I guess I'll figure it out according to what piece of gear does not work.....thanks so much.
Justin,

You can get all the travel adapters you need at your local Radio Shack store. Some are simple plug adapters for devices that will work on multiple voltage/frequencies. The better adapter kits like mine also have a step down transformer/adapter to run things that can't run on the higher voltages but it is still at the frequency of the power source (ie 50hz where Rob is located). My razor used one of these when I was in Holland but it ran a bit slower.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2006, 02:10 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Petit
Trust no one:

http://starbulletin.com/2006/03/31/news/story04.html

Airport screeners admit theft
A pair of TSA workers say they took $20,000 from luggage in a plot with their co-workers

By Debra Barayuga
dbarayuga@starbulletin.com

Two Honolulu airport screeners have admitted to stealing about $20,000 in American and foreign currency from luggage at Honolulu Airport and sharing the proceeds with other screeners.

Transportation Security Administration employees Benny S. Arcano, 27, and Christopher Cadorna, 25, pleaded guilty yesterday before U.S. Magistrate Barry Kurren to converting property in excess of $1,000 that belonged to others while in the course of their duties.
Old September 20th, 2006, 11:43 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Thanks for the advice

Thanks guys...I guess my biggest fear is getting to LAX and them hassling me over all my electronics, even though the airline said I'd be cool. I'm going to try and find out more.

Thanks again y'all....Great info.

Justin
Old September 20th, 2006, 12:27 PM   #13
Trustee

Justin, a few things. Notify your bank that you will be overseas. Give then dates and locations. If all of a sudden they start getting credit card charges from overseas, they will flag the card and in most cases actually put a hold on it thinking it was stolen. This happened to a friend of mine in Italy. Carry a VERY cheap hair dryer of other electric appliance. I always use these to TEST the current "even with adapters" so as not to blow your charger. I had this happen at a hotel in African. Thank God I blew the dryer instead of my charger. Also, carry a car charger as most cars will have a cigerette lighter. Use a photo vest and get a snap ring and hook your camcorder to your vest, it can actually stop a grab and run. Get a copy of your passport and recipts of equipment. Better still, show up at the airport early and stop off at customs and have them preclear your equipment for your return trip. This will all prove you owned the equipment prior to leaving the country. Be cool, use insect repellant and don't drink the water. Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2006, 01:49 PM   #14
RED Code Chef

Justin: I've been with electronics through LAX 4 times now without any problems.
I will be going through there twice in October, hopefully it'll go smooth again.

Old September 20th, 2006, 04:25 PM   #15
Regular Crew

GREAT idea...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Safay
Justin, a few things. Notify your bank that you will be overseas. Give then dates and locations. If all of a sudden they start getting credit card charges from overseas, they will flag the card and in most cases actually put a hold on it thinking it was stolen. This happened to a friend of mine in Italy. Carry a VERY cheap hair dryer of other electric appliance. I always use these to TEST the current "even with adapters" so as not to blow your charger. I had this happen at a hotel in African. Thank God I blew the dryer instead of my charger. Also, carry a car charger as most cars will have a cigerette lighter. Use a photo vest and get a snap ring and hook your camcorder to your vest, it can actually stop a grab and run. Get a copy of your passport and recipts of equipment. Better still, show up at the airport early and stop off at customs and have them preclear your equipment for your return trip. This will all prove you owned the equipment prior to leaving the country. Be cool, use insect repellant and don't drink the water. Bob
Wow - -such great advice -- the hair dryer thing is such a smart idea...Again I super appreciate it --- great stuff man!
Justin Connor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders