Music Video Report at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old September 22nd, 2006, 06:00 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Music Video Report

Got a Call from a DoP I had shoot a short last year that ran something like this:
"Hi, John, err... you know that new camera you've got."
"The Panay HVX thing?"
"Yeh, that one, well I' ve just turned up at a shoot and they've got one."
"That's cool, what are you shooting?"
"A music video. Now, it doesn't shoot HD onto tape does it?"
"Errr..., no."
"We only seem to have one, P2 card here, how does it work?"
etc. etc. etc.
"Look why don't I just come out and assist, I owe you one anyway."
"Yeah, thanks, I think we might need that."

We'll I thought you might all like a little introduction.
I turned up at the shoot which turned out to be a one day, studio shoot on a black background.
The idea for the video was for our Rapper to walk through a lit area in a variety of different costumes appearing and disappearing into the black background. There were some shots where we were tracking with the subject and some where i was pulling focus.
Although I've been shooting with my camera for the past month, this was the first time I've used it in a studio environment. Everything seemd to work pretty well.

My comments are:
Having one person running the camera and downloading P2 cards can make things quite hectic.
The use of SD cards for scene files is pretty critical, just to make sure things don't accidentally messed around.
The instant playback capability is an enormouse plus.
Using a Mac powerbook instead of a P2 Store is a very good idea.

I haven't seen any of the final footage yet. But I'll see if I can post something once it's edited.
Old September 22nd, 2006, 08:47 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Trial by Fire

I had no idea how to operate the HVX, and so I offered to be a second camera F.O.C for a concert VNR that my girlfriend was producing so I could learn on the job. The primary footage was shot w/a Sony XD cam - something like a 50k unit w/the lens. 2 days after they went to post and looked at the footage, the shooter went out and bought the HVX.

Now, obviously he wasn't going to replace his XD cam, but both he and the editor were mighty impressed w/the footage I shot (NOT necessarily my camera work..). Coupled w/the ease of use when compared to his heavy shoulder camera I think he felt it could really augment his arsenal.
Brian Sargent is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders