DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   FS-100 v2 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/79565-fs-100-v2.html)

Dennis Davidoff November 14th, 2006 02:28 AM

FS-100 v2

Does this firmware update allow 24pn as well as slow motion? Did anyone have any experience with it yet? All it says in the read me file is "Improvements for 24P support" which doesn't really say alot...

Gene Crucean November 14th, 2006 11:18 AM

Interested also.

Dick Campbell November 14th, 2006 03:16 PM

Its impossible for FS to use 24pn, or any other native mode, because HVX does not send native modes to Firewire.

Barry Green November 14th, 2006 03:30 PM

Version 2 does not support 24pN "simulation", but version 3 will.

The HVX does not output any data from the FW port when in 24pN mode, but the FS-100 v3 will record only the "native frames" from the firewire stream, discarding all the other frames. So the net effect is the same as if you'd shot in 24pN. DV Rack HD and EDIUS and FCP all do the same thing, and with V3 of the software FS-100 will also offer this capability.

Dennis Davidoff November 15th, 2006 12:30 AM

So when does the V3 come out? Any news on that? I thought V2 just came out.

Gene Crucean November 15th, 2006 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry Green
but the FS-100 v3 will record only the "native frames" from the firewire stream, discarding all the other frames. So the net effect is the same as if you'd shot in 24pN.

Not really. The reason I want to be able to record in pN is so I can overcrank. What you just described won't let me do that.

Barry Green November 15th, 2006 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gene Crucean
Not really. The reason I want to be able to record in pN is so I can overcrank. What you just described won't let me do that.

Yes it will! That's exactly what it will allow.

But you don't need to wait for that, you can overcrank with the existing FS-100; you just need to strip out the duplicate frames using Apple's FRC.

Gene Crucean November 15th, 2006 10:13 AM

Hmm. I was under the impression that you can't even set the camera to overcrank unless you were in pN mode. So basically you're saying that you can overcrank in regular p mode and the fs-100 will record it?

If this is the case, say no more because I'll have my checkbook out in 5sec to finally buy one of these. This has been the killing point for me for a long time.

Thanks for the clarification too btw.

Barry Green November 15th, 2006 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gene Crucean
Hmm. I was under the impression that you can't even set the camera to overcrank unless you were in pN mode. So basically you're saying that you can overcrank in regular p mode and the fs-100 will record it?

Yep.

The only thing is, you won't see the slow-mo effect upon playback, you have to process the footage through the FRC. Which is the exact same thing you'd have to do if you shot VariCam too.

Daniel Gervais November 17th, 2006 07:47 AM

What's FRC???

So if you want to over or undercrank, FS-100 will not receive through FW from the HVX, native frames.Unless FRC???? What's FRC??

Dee Joslin November 18th, 2006 06:27 AM

Frame Rate Converter.