The Best Filmlook settings for HVX? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old December 2nd, 2006, 12:53 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Robert,

If my post appeared provocative or suggested an angry tone, then I humbly apologise - it was certainly not intended. I wrote what I thought was a light-hearted dig at someone whose reply to a genuine question from a poster was in my opinion, a cop-out.

Please take a few moments to re-read the original post . . .
Quote:
So I cracked open the book panasonic is giving away when you register and am looking at the fine tuning of the film look settings
I think you will find the poster had already been reading Barry's book (surely don't need to register before you get the User Manual)?

Please compare the "Read Barry's Book" remark with your own reply to the same topic . . . helpful, informative, friendly, polite. In short, the essence of what a forum is for.

I was merely trying to point out that to simply say "Read Barry's Book" is not (at least, I thought it wasn't) in the spirit of forums such as this.

Forums as I know them are places where people seek and offer help - as well as discuss topics which are relevant to the forum.

Those who are seeking help are often at their 'wits end' having tried everything they know to find a solution to a particular problem. How often we hear of looming deadlines, when some piece of soft or hardware refuses to 'play'.

I have an appointment with my Panasonic dealer on Monday morning. When I return home, I will be (hopefully) the proud owner of an AG-HVX200.

I'm neither a beginner, nor an expert in video, so I anticipate fairly heavy use of forums such as this one over the next few months - but I hope that I will be able to more than repay the excellent advice I'll get, with advice I can give in return, as I learn to use the HVX200.

Andy
Andy Nickless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2006, 12:36 AM   #17
Trustee

Mike, to get back to your original question. If you liked the look of everything except one scene in a bunch of stuff you shot, the first place to look at the problem would be the lighting that's always more critical than the camera set-up. The look has to be in sync with the lighting. Sometimes it can compensate for things you can't control, but generally a "film-look", means well lit for a start.
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2006, 09:58 PM   #18
Regular Crew

WOW! I didn't mean to start a huge fight between two posters. But thanks everyone else for your input. And by the way I have Barry's book, but it's a lot to ingest. I was hoping for some more practical experiences from those who weren't so glib in their remarks. This camera is a scaled down version of the Vari-cam and it's a beast. I'm not a shooter first so I'm a little behind the curve when it come to the technical language. I have read every post and appreciate the actual helpful responses.

I agree that it really needs to be well lit. That's one thing I did learn on this shoot. The M2 adapter really cuts out a lot of light so you almost have to approach it like film. Hell, you are using film lenses so why would you?

Live and learn.
Mike Quick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders