Fast, inexpensive array for HVX users - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old December 7th, 2006, 07:53 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Lane
That's actually completely wrong, Zsolt; HDV requires a great deal more processing power to both render and playback from the timeline.
You are right. What would you suggest as for storage device for editing and storing DVCPRO HD material? Only RAID or can I use a big external hard drive with eSATA card connection?
Zsolt Gordos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2006, 10:39 PM   #17
Go Go Godzilla

If you want to keep the budget as low as possible then the inexpensive array described here is what I'd recommend for editing. Just keep in mind that if you also plan on doing HDV editing on this array it will slow down considerably as you use it.

For storage only you could use any drive/connection type you prefer since speed is not an issue when you're simply storing/archiving files.
Old December 8th, 2006, 03:38 AM   #18
Major Player

Since we are talking about cheap RAID solutions, I built one using an empty PC case that cost me $90 for the case, $30 for the cables, $200 for the SATA Card and $1350 for the five 500GB hard drives (2.5TB total) for a 5 drive raid capable of 350MB/s for around $1670:

http://lfhd.blogspot.com/2006/12/dar...sata-raid.html

And the thing is QUIET...I mean, I don't know that the thing is even on.

But, it is VERY do-it-yourself and requires a bit of tech savvy...

If it wasn't for this, I'd be looking at the CalDigit enclosures...
Shane Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2006, 09:18 AM   #19
Major Player

Save some more money and use an inexpensive PC case, which can hold up to 8 harddrives.

Thats what I did. Simply run the Sata cables directly to the HD's inside the case.

Andrew

Ah Shane beat me to it...
Drew Curran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2006, 09:27 AM   #20
Regular Crew

DAT Optic

Im thinking of buying the SATA controller from DAT Optic, the eSATA-PCIX. Does anyone have any expierience with this one ? http://www.datoptic.com/cgi-bin/web....cix&detail=yes
I've been trying to look for reviews of this card but havne't been abble to find any, according to DAT Optic Macs are supported. It's either this or my other options are the Sonnet or CalDigit FASTA4x wich both are more expensive.
Melvin Torrens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2006, 05:42 PM   #21
Regular Crew

An alternative is the Addonics 5 drive enclosure with Port Multiplier.
You can get about 250MB/s R/W (with 5 drive RAID 0) and have access to over 20 drives if you have a four port card. It's a great way to also have a portable storage/editing array for a laptop with a eSATA PCIe or PCMCIA card that's PM aware.
Sure it's not HW RAID but still the possibility of portability makes location work much easier.
Drew Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2006, 08:17 AM   #22
New Boot

What about the G-Raid2 van G-technology? How do they compare to the e-Sata set up you suggest????

[QUOTE=Robert Lane][QUOTE=Barry Kay]Thanks for the info; I'm looking forward to upgrading Everything to HVX so when online window-browsing I saw this new RAID 500GB product from LaCie for only $399 (!). Their promo says:

" a compact 2-disk device, the LaCie Two Big eSATA & USB comes with the fastest interface - eSATA (SATA II 3Gbits) and Hi-Speed USB 2.0 for connecting to almost any computer."
Quote:

Barry,

This device is mainly for storage, not an array for editing as it won't have the throughput required for multiple-stream previews and fast renders. Any JBOD e-SATA array would need a minimum of 4 drives in RAID-0 (as tested with the KONA System Test) to sustain the required througput and, it also requires an HBA interface not USB or Firewire as that throughput is limited to about 90mb/s.
Cees Mutsaers is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders