P2 to Laptop Transfer 'How To' Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old December 28th, 2006, 12:39 AM   #1
New Boot

P2 to Laptop Transfer 'How To' Question

Sorry if this is a 101 question... but I usually downconvert my HD footage to DV tape while in the field, never having needed to finish in HD yet. However, there is a shot I want to save as "HD". I'm currently on vacation though and, other than the P2 card manager, I don't have the P2 software loaded.

Is there a way I can save my shot by copying it to my laptop without the software?

I made a folder and copied everything from the P2 card into the folder. Will the file work like this?

Thanks for any pointers!
Jason Honeycutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2006, 11:06 AM   #2
Major Player

First issue is whether it's a PC or a Mac.
David Saraceno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2006, 08:14 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I heard a 12" mac book Pro is coming out soon (MWSF) and also a Express --> pcmcia slot adapter (not by apple) to be debut soon.
Jason Strongfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2006, 12:39 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Strongfield
I heard a 12" mac book Pro is coming out soon (MWSF) and also a Express --> pcmcia slot adapter (not by apple) to be debut soon.
I think the 12" Macbook Pro is a figment of someone's imagination. Although, a 13" is certainly possible. I don't see Apple breaking from the current 13, 15, 17 size denomination. That and there's only one manufacturer (LG) that makes a 12" widescreen LCD panel that would work and it's a soon to be discontinued model, in favor of their 13" and 10" offerings.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a 13" Macbook Pro announced at MWSF along with a 15" Macbook. But I also wouldn't be surprised if they announce nothing of the sort.

As for the 13" or 12" Macbook Pro, why would anyone want such a thing right now? The Macbook already fits the bill (mostly) and I think what a lot of people are forgetting is that in the smaller form factor we would lose the expresscard and the discrete graphics. Honestly, I don't see a Macbook Pro smaller than 15" happening until late spring at the earliest - when Intel is supposed to release the i965PM chipset and the updated GMA3000 integrated graphics. The current i945 w/GMA950 just doesn't cut it... Can't use it with apps like Motion, not enough power there.
Jeff Kilgroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2006, 10:50 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Strongfield
That is pure rumor.

I doubt that this will occur, but wish it were.

I disagree with Jeff, however. Sony has 11-inch laptops with discrete graphics and a PC Card, not EC/34 slot.
David Saraceno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2006, 02:14 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Saraceno
I disagree with Jeff, however. Sony has 11-inch laptops with discrete graphics and a PC Card, not EC/34 slot.
No they don't.

The 11" widescreen VAIO TX series has the Intel i915M chipset with integrated GMA900 video (a step below what is in the Macbook). The notebook is 1" thick at the front, and nearly 1.75" at the rear. Has a stupid WiFi antenna sticking out of the right hand side.

Additionally, it runs off of the Low-Voltage model Core Solo CPU, and just recently LV C2S. Has a VGA port, no DVI.

Personally, I'd take the Macbook - nearly double the CPU power, slightly better integrated graphics, DVI port... Not much bigger overall even though it does weigh noticeably more than the VAIO TX.

If Apple were to shrink a Macbook Pro down, they will have to sacrifice features. There is no way they can put discrete graphics chips such as the ATI X1600 (current MBP GPU) in a 12" model -- they can't even keep the thing cool in the 15". I suppose they could pull it off if they broke from the 1" thin design, but I don't see Apple doing that. Really, sticking to the 1" design is the only thing that's keeping them from a super compact Macbook pro. IMO, the next Apple product to take a super-compact form will be more of a tablet design. Probably having a docking base with optical drive and most connectors located there - removeable touch-screen with internal HD. Might happen - lots of discussions of rumors about such a product on some of the rumor sites.

Additionally, with the smaller battery they'll have to use, they would also have to go to a LV CPU to keep battery life at 2 hours or more. Not necessarily the Core2 Solo, they could stick with the LV C2D models. Apple won't put the "pro" label onto a a notebook product without a dedicated graphics chip and most, if not all of the features of the current "pro" designated books. A lesser-featured super compact 10" or so Macbook "nano" might happen.... Maybe.
Jeff Kilgroe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders