Manufacture Defect? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old January 26th, 2007, 12:42 AM   #1
New Boot

Manufacture Defect?

I was wondering if any other HVX owners have notice if their top and/or bottom outside "clips" that hold the battery in place have broken off?

I have 4 friends that own the HVX and all of them have the same issue. (I have also seen this problem on 3 differnet cameras that I rented.) Right now it does't hinder the battery from working but the battery is very loose. There is excess space on the three side of the battery compartment. It is this excess space that make the battery easily tapped/nudged to cause the "clips" to crack and break off. This happens very easily if you have one of the larger Panasonic batteries - CGA-D54

My friend an I have resorted to putting the soft side of 2" velco in the walls of the battery compartment to make the battery have more snug fit.

Just wondering if anyone else has this issue and if anyone has contacted Panasonic? And if Panasonic even know it's an issue.
Brian Hoodenpyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2007, 01:07 AM   #2
Go Go Godzilla

Hi Brian and welcome to the forum,

This sounds more like improper battery mounting technique - user error. I've been using these same batteries on the HVX for over a year and have never broken a tab. It wouldn't surprise me that rental units have them broken considering most people don't treat rental equipment very well.

One thing is sure; unlike the Canon or Sony battery mounts where you can almost slam them into place in a hurry, you need to be a bit more careful with this mount.

I would send your unit off for repair and use a lighter, smoother approach to mounting the battery in the future.
Old January 26th, 2007, 08:47 AM   #3
Go Go Godzilla

Update

Here's more info on this batt-clip issue; here's an email from David @ Spec-Comm which should help others with this same issue:

"Hi Robert,

I saw your post on DVInfo in response to the Battery tabs breaking off. There is a new and modified part that needs to be replaced. It is covered under warranty if it's broken and we have the parts in stock and have done many of these already. Just FYI.

David Linetsky
President
Specialized Communications Corp."

Keep in mind though, the HVX battery mount is not the "slam-and-run" type that many Sony and Canon users are used to and still needs a bit more care in mounting-dismounting.
Old January 26th, 2007, 09:54 AM   #4
Major Player

Same battery mount on both the DVX and HVX... I could see where it could be easily broken if mistreated.

I think this is a combination of user error and poor design. Like Robert said, be more careful. I used the DVX for over 2 years and the HVX for nearly a year now and have had no such issues, but I try to take good care of my equipment. Afterall, I have to sell it at some point to invest in newer, more up to date gear.

..BTW, My HVX200 is for sale if anyone is intrerested. (sorry, shameless plug).
Jeff Kilgroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2007, 09:54 AM   #5
Regular Crew

discussed here also with fix. . .

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread...=battery+mount

Seems like it only applys to the earlier versions of the HVX200.. .
Vince Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2007, 10:11 AM   #6
Go Go Godzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Kilgroe
..BTW, My HVX200 is for sale if anyone is intrerested. (sorry, shameless plug).
I just gotta ask: Are you migrating to the HPX2000 or something else?
Old January 26th, 2007, 10:42 AM   #7
Major Player

This is a manufacturing defect for early models that Panasonic has recognized and will repair at no cost.

The mount has been redesigned in later cams as has been discussed extensively elsewhere.

I rarely transport the cam with battery attached, and am very careful when removing battery.

Almost wish it would break so I can get the part replaced
David Saraceno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2007, 12:56 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Lane
I just gotta ask: Are you migrating to the HPX2000 or something else?
RED One. :)
Jeff Kilgroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2007, 02:38 PM   #9
Major Player

Red just closed 2nd round reservations. I think they will be taking orders again at NAB.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders