DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   Philip Bloom's 35mn lens adaptor comparisons (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/85993-philip-blooms-35mn-lens-adaptor-comparisons.html)

Eric Peltier February 8th, 2007 04:32 PM

Philip Bloom's 35mn lens adaptor comparisons

Finally a place where you can see a comparison of the most common 35mn lens adaptors, the Redrock M2, the SGPro, and the Brevis 35. no Mini35 because it falls into a much more expensive category.
Many thanks to Philip Bloom.

http://web.mac.com/philip.bloom/iWeb...out/Intro.html
e.

Chris Barcellos February 8th, 2007 05:48 PM

Here's a thread on this site where Phil and company, including manufacturers have been discussing the shootout:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...=81526&page=15

Phil Bloom February 8th, 2007 07:30 PM

wow...a thread with my name in it. I am embarrassed!

I am planning on making the shootout pages an evolving thing. I now have a JVC200 and plan on doing a mini shootout with the Brevis and M2 on it. It is the perfect adaptor cam due to its shoulder mounted design and inbuilt flip features

By the way. I finally got my hands on a mini 35 on Tuesday with the JVC250. Very nice, perfect fit, expensive looking but oh my god it was SOOOO dark. This was at a big exhibition at earls court you could barely see a thing when pointing at the ambient lighting and only just getting exposure on the brightly lit stuff, this with a cooke lens at t2. p&s need to rethink and reprice. For starters they should bring out a mini 35 without the flip for this camera and gain 2 stops there straight away. Redrock make a better flip free adaptor for a fraction of the price. Even good old Wayne in Brighton has made one himself that is far superior!!

Chris Hurd February 8th, 2007 08:02 PM

It amazes me that we can have a three-month-old discussion thread with almost 14,000 views and more than 200 replies on one of our most popular boards, and then suddenly it's news over on this forum!

I think some of our folks are only just learning about this stuff by browsing the various blogs out on the web instead of checking out what's happening around here on a regular basis. Maybe we need our own blog...

Sam Jankis February 9th, 2007 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil Bloom
By the way. I finally got my hands on a mini 35 on Tuesday with the JVC250. Very nice, perfect fit, expensive looking but oh my god it was SOOOO dark. This was at a big exhibition at earls court you could barely see a thing when pointing at the ambient lighting and only just getting exposure on the brightly lit stuff, this with a cooke lens at t2.

I've suspected this for a long time... but I've never checked it out first hand. It's good to hear it coming from you though. Now what about the Movietube?

Phil Bloom February 9th, 2007 11:27 AM

I saw it but didn't play with it. What a bizarre looking contraption. From what I saw on a monitor it looks brighter than the Mini35 but by how much I couldn't say!

Robert Kirkpatrick February 9th, 2007 02:10 PM

I've seen that the comparisons have been posted in various forums and on HD for Indies and FresHDV. Phil, you must be getting major hits on your webpage. Well-deserved, because the article is pretty solid and well-done.

Ken Willinger February 9th, 2007 02:57 PM

I played around with the Movietube at NAB last year and was pretty impressed by it. It does mount the camera very oddly and becomes quite a large setup, but very secure and easily used for handheld work. Under the convention hall lights it looked quite bright (with Cooke lens) but it would be interesting to see it in a real world application. It was very expensive, If IRC the price was about $13,500. I've currently got a Brevis35 that I'm using with an HVX and it is making great images, in low light situations.

Phil Bloom February 11th, 2007 04:15 AM

Does anyone know how well the movietube works with the HVX?

Robert Lane February 11th, 2007 08:28 AM

Abel Cine/LA is the exclusive US dealer for the MovieTube; they had one on display at the P2 Presentation this past Thursday. I didn't get a chance to connect it to the HVX but it would let more light through than the Mini-35 since it has no spinning ground glass. It's also more expensive than the Mini-35, which I can't quite figure out. And it is a beast of a unit since it puts the camera at a 45-degree angle from the lens optical line.

Abel does rent them at reasonable prices so anyone curious enough could pick it up and try it.

On a side note, Zacuto is in the beta phase of their own lens adapter system. It is similar in concept to the MovieTube in that it also does not use any spinning ground glass but the lenses mount in-line optically so it's not a beast-ly add-on. No word on exact availability yet but summer seems reasonable.