Any good ideas how I should mount my MacBook Pro next to my HVX? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old March 8th, 2007, 02:04 PM   #1
Major Player

Any good ideas how I should mount my MacBook Pro next to my HVX?

Hi all. . .

In this world of lunacy, one often has to make compromises. I just compromised. I was planning on buying a nice HD monitor to use with the Redrock, but I decided instead to run with another MacBook Pro for use in the field (about the same price, actually!). The question now becomes, how does one go about mounting a computer near the HVX so that the Firewire cable reaches and I can look at the Scopebox image on my MacBook Pro while shooting.

It seems to me that there must be some sort of an adjustable computer shelf that would attach to a tripod, but I can't find one.

Any ideas???

Thanks much.

Stephen
Stephen Pruitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2007, 04:42 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi Stephen,

I've used three methods for my monitors. One is a mount I made up to go on a seperate TriPod, the second is a shelf I made to fit in between the primary TriPod legs, the third is a clamp-on type that attachs to either the TriPod leg or the center pipe.

If you can't buy one, I suspect I could make one up for you. Since you live just up the road, you could see the ones' I've made in person if you're interested.

Harold
Harold Schreiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2007, 05:24 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for the info, Harold. . . I'm definitely interested in learning more about the "clamp" on tripod legs tray-top idea. Do you know of any such commercial product out there???

I'd rather try to go the commercial route first so I have someone to go get if it fails.

:-)

Stephen
Stephen Pruitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2007, 05:55 PM   #4
Major Player

Hi Stephen,

I'm too accustomed to making my own stuff up, either because I can't find such things or they cost way more than I'm willing to pay. Plus, I can make them to fit my exact needs and equipment. In addition, every modification I make to any equipment is "undoable", I can return it back to OEM condition/use.

I try to put my $$ into the items I can't make myself. $$ are way slimer since I retired.

I've not seen any of the three items I mentioned commercially made, but that does'nt mean they're not.

Try a Google search on them and check at B & H.

Harold
Harold Schreiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2007, 07:16 PM   #5
Go Go Godzilla

Stephen,

Bogen/Manfrotto makes exactly what you're looking for in a tripod-based, cross-pole system that has a utility tray, mounts and a host of other add-ons that will easily accomodate what you're looking for.

When I shot DSLR's on client shoots we almost always shot tethered to a Powerbook, which I had mounted on this exact system with a large Hoodman hood over the PB screen so we could "chimp" after each shot. This worked just as well on location as it did in the studio.

Here's the link to the Bogen equipment page with this system:

http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/site/...sf=107&child=6

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders