Can/Will the HPX2000 (or HVX) provide pN over Firewire - Jan? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old March 16th, 2007, 07:53 AM   #1
Major Player

Can/Will the HPX2000 (or HVX) provide pN over Firewire - Jan?

I recently upgraded my FS100 to the v3 firmware, which provides 720 pN recording support. I tested it with the HVX200 and was surprised to find that you need to run the HVX in 'non-native' mode to record in 'native' pN recording mode on the FS100. That is, you can get extended pN recording times on the FS100, but you have to be in 24p/30p (non-native) modes on the HVX - which of course eats P2 cards up (with what I understand is just extra pulldown data). I typically record to both p2 and the FS100 as assurance/backup, especially for events, etc.

I've been very excited about the HPX2000 coming out (trying to pre-reserve 2 units, etc). Recent confirmation of the pN firmware upgrade coming only sweetens the deal. I'm now wondering (and perhaps begging) if that upgrade could also include the capability to stream a pN signal over the firewire port? Then you could record 24/30pN on the FS100 and in 24/30pN on the P2 cards simultaneously - eating/maximizing the same amount of data - truly win win... Could such a firmware upgrade exist for the HVX as well? Also - can/will the HPX2000 be compatable for recording into Edius and/or DVRackHD over firewire? I thought I had trouble plugging my SPX800 straight into Edius for example, where the HVX200 was fine.

Believe me - I love the new/extra recording capacity - but there is a trade-off & cost, especially if you're eating more data on P2 cards having to set a camera to the 24p/30p modes.

As I recall, this was the same situation when trying to record to DVRackHD & straight into Edius - they'd see the 24p/30p (non-native over 60) signals, but not the pN stream over firewire. I assume such an upgrade would only enhance recording options with a pN stream to other utilities over firewire (field recording into DVRackHD and/or Edius).

Recent rumors of the HPX3000 mentioned D5 quality over firewire. I'm just wondering if a current pN option over firewire could exist?... It would simply be 'sweet'.

Thanks again very much,
Shawn
Shawn Alyasiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 10:07 AM   #2

I'd like to see this happen as well. 24pN was one of the formats that sold me on the camera, but it seems that you are very limited when it comes to other devices that interact with that format / mode.

Recently, I was excited to see that Redrock Micro came out with a new monitor system called Scopebox, http://www.scopebox.com but apparantly it does not work with 720pN.

"...the only format not supported are the native formats - 24pN, 25pN etc."
link - http://www.scopebox.com/forums/index...9&page=0#msg41

I'm not sure if this has to do with the firewire issue above or if it's something else, as I have not investigated it further.

I can also recall wanting to learn how to hook up the HVX directly to my MacBook Pro and record while watching the footage in FCP. I could do that, but it could not be done in 720pN.
Old March 16th, 2007, 11:13 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Agreed. I wish 24pN or 30pN went out over firewire, I did a gig the other day w/ my 2 4gig p2 cards, hitting the only snag the camera has - he wanted takes of people dancing over and over again, I had to shoot at 30p (only 8 minutes of footage) because we were capturing live but the p2 as backup couldn't keep up at t he speed the director wanted to do new takes at.

If 30pN could have gone out over firewire, I could have fit each take on one card and had no downtime inbetween takes as I offloaded p2 to the powerbook inbetween. We still got everything we wanted due to the live capturing, but our backup options were limited due to the size.

Yeah, I know I need to get bigger cards, just no money.
Jason Boyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2007, 06:01 PM   #4
Panasonic Broadcast

Hi,

24PN does not leave the camera over firewire. The Firestore strips out the extra frames from a 60P stream.

Hope that helps,

Jan

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders