HVX200 and FireStore at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old March 29th, 2007, 11:21 PM   #1
Regular Crew

HVX200 and FireStore

Will the FS-4 HD work with the HVX200 or do I need the FS100?
Will Boggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2007, 11:34 PM   #2
Major Player

YOu need the FS-100. It was designed to work with the HVX. These units are more than hard drives, they have software that interfaces with the cameras.
Shane Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2007, 08:44 AM   #3
Go Go Godzilla

Will,

The FS-100 is the Panasonic-branded version of the FS-4 HD with specific firmware to talk to the P2 cameras. The lastest version is 3.0.
Old March 30th, 2007, 09:29 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Lane View Post
The FS-100 is the Panasonic-branded version of the FS-4 HD with specific firmware to talk to the P2 cameras. The lastest version is 3.0.
Although designed to work with the Panasonic HVX200, the FS-100 is made by Focus Enhancements.
David Saraceno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2007, 09:38 AM   #5
Go Go Godzilla

That's right David, it's manufacturer is Focus who "branded" it for Panasonic as a DVCPRO-HD device, just as the DR-HD100 was designed and branded for JVC.
Old March 30th, 2007, 04:04 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I understood that the FS4 would work with the JVC HD cameras, but missing some of the functionality that the DR-HD100 adds? Is it the same with the FS4 and the HVX200 - it will work, but lacking some functions?
David Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2007, 09:31 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Lane View Post
That's right David, it's manufacturer is Focus who "branded" it for Panasonic as a DVCPRO-HD device, just as the DR-HD100 was designed and branded for JVC.
I wasn't arguing with Robert; just pointing out that it wasn't a Panasonic product in the event others were looking at Panasonic web site for the item.
Old August 30th, 2007, 06:35 PM   #8
New Boot

Yes or No

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Heath View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I understood that the FS4 would work with the JVC HD cameras, but missing some of the functionality that the DR-HD100 adds? Is it the same with the FS4 and the HVX200 - it will work, but lacking some functions?
I purchased a FS4HD and am leaning towards the HVX200 over the XHA1. Will the FS4 work with the HVX, even if it's capabilities are limited, will it be able to record footage?
Old August 31st, 2007, 09:57 AM   #9
Major Player

The FS-4HD will not record DVCProHD footage from the HVX200.
Old August 31st, 2007, 10:40 AM   #10
Barry Wan Kenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody Foltz View Post
I purchased a FS4HD and am leaning towards the HVX200 over the XHA1. Will the FS4 work with the HVX, even if it's capabilities are limited, will it be able to record footage?
The FS4-HD will be able to record DV (and only DV) from an HVX200. No HD from the HVX. The only FS that can record the HVX's HD is the FS-100.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2007, 05:39 AM   #11
Major Player

I used to have one FS-4 which was used for my Canon XL2 (in SD). Unfortunately, the reliability of the unit is pretty poor. It can't operate consistently in 5 - 10 deg C air temperature and on the move. The Canon XL2 tape recording is much better - surprisingly. And I have one instance where the FS-4 appears to be recording (in 25 deg C), but, after I gone back to look at the clips, there was only rubbish recorded. Luckily, I still have tape to fallback upon.

I have a friend who took his HVX202 to Bali to film a project up G Agung. He was filming in SD that time - so, his FS-4 still works. But he encountered so much hardware problems with the FS-4 ... says "no more!". After being burnt - he got a P2Store instead.

Fast forward to today - I don't think I will use another FS-100 on my HVX202. I have doubts it will be as reliable as the P2 card in cold weather and also, on the move. The problem with FS-4 or FS-100 as the case may be - is the unit is meant to move around with the camera. I don't think there are any read-write head mechanisms that can cope with all the bouncing here and there and still provide reliable recording on a hard-disk.
TingSern Wong is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders