Best filter to mimic grain on Redrock M2 on the HVX? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old April 29th, 2007, 09:09 PM   #1
Major Player

Best filter to mimic grain on Redrock M2 on the HVX?

Hi all. . .

I am interested in matching, to the best extent possible, the grain and loss of resolution I experience with the M2 (with the latest ground glass) on my HVX-200 without the M2. That is, I want the HVX WITHOUT the M2 to look like the footage shot using the M2 (except for the depth of field issue, of course!).

What exact filters would you recommend? I can either mount these filters on the HVX lens itself or put them in my Cavision mattebox.

Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Stephen
Stephen Pruitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2007, 10:33 PM   #2
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Pruitt View Post
Hi all. . .

I am interested in matching, to the best extent possible, the grain and loss of resolution I experience with the M2 (with the latest ground glass) on my HVX-200 without the M2. That is, I want the HVX WITHOUT the M2 to look like the footage shot using the M2 (except for the depth of field issue, of course!).

What exact filters would you recommend? I can either mount these filters on the HVX lens itself or put them in my Cavision mattebox.

Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Stephen
Some kind of Tiffen low contrast filter with a diffusion filter. If you really want to emulate the typical adapter look, don't forget adding chroma aberration and lens distortion in post.
Old April 29th, 2007, 11:30 PM   #3
Panoramic

Filter to simulate M2 Filmlook; yet again

I'd have to take issue with trying to simulate an M2 with a static filter. Personally, I'd urge you to look at the Magic Bullet Suite or Looks, their new application/plug-in combo.

You can shoot straight for clean footage, maybe use a grad filter to avoid blowing out the sky, then apply your film look in post. Much safer, more room to experiment and try combinations, .

There is a recent and emerging methodology for pre-planning your movie to incorporate extensive manipulation in post after shooting as clean and unprocessed a source as possible. You might try reading The DV Rebel's Guide, by Stu Maschwitz.

It's a detailed and fascinating look at indie filmmaking and the workflow developed by highly skilled professionals, who use this type of process in motion pictures using visual FX.

You can even fake DOF with lockdown shots.

Good luck in your efforts

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders