500 lens choices at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old May 15th, 2007, 06:38 PM   #1
Major Player

500 lens choices

I ordered the HPX with a Canon lens, and was just informed that the Canons are going to push delivery back nearly a month, which is very bad for me (I have a film starting mid-month)...

Does anyone here have an opinion on the quality of Fujinons? It's likely that I could get the camera at least 2-3 weeks earlier, but the only Fujinon I ever used was a super16 modification from Century.
Steve Rosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2007, 07:35 PM   #2
Barry Wan Kenobi

Lots of people actually prefer Fujinon glass. There's certainly advocates on both sides of the debate.

Would renting a lens make sense for your shoot? You can use any glass, so maybe an interim rental would be the best choice, rather than spending a lot of money on glass sight unseen?
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2007, 07:50 PM   #3
Major Player

I thought of renting.. but it screws up my package deal - as you know, these days most of the (even old school reputable) outlets have to compete stylistically with box stores...

I think I'll try to go with the Fujinon - but one thing I like about the new Canons is that they've ergonomically redesigned the grip for people like me who handhold most of the time - what a concept!!!
Old May 17th, 2007, 10:22 AM   #4
Trustee

I realize looking at the HPX web content that both recommended Canon and Fujinon lense models are not listed at Canon nor Fujinon sites.

The content indicates that the HPX used conjunction with those supported lenses would manage to lessen the chromatic abberation.

So, that is why the delivery date is pushed behind? Because those lenses are all new models?
Kaku Ito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2007, 12:23 PM   #5
Major Player

Kaku: Yes, all new models designed especially to be compatable with the HPX, and to be affordable 2/3" lenses that work with Panasonic's (as yet to be seen) CAC...

I've opted, as I said, for the Fujinon, but would have preferred the Canon. The 3-4 week difference in wait time is critical for me right now because I gotta get this thing in my hands so I can shoot tests and adapt my thinking to the P2 work flow.
Old May 19th, 2007, 09:29 AM   #6
Trustee

Steve, do you know how much they are? Panasonic J don't list the prices.
Old May 19th, 2007, 02:27 PM   #7
Major Player

Kaku: They're package with the cameras, so no, I don't know what they would sell for seperately.. with the cameras they're about + or - $6,500, which is way cheap for a 2/3" lens... so I hope they're decent.
Old May 19th, 2007, 06:06 PM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rosen View Post
Kaku: They're package with the cameras, so no, I don't know what they would sell for seperately.. with the cameras they're about + or - $6,500, which is way cheap for a 2/3" lens... so I hope they're decent.
Steve,

General opinions from the pro shops are like cheap HD lenses won't be that good, but let's hope associated companies did their good job tunning in, especially the chromatic abberation.
Old May 19th, 2007, 06:57 PM   #9
Major Player

Cheap lenses aren't ever that good..

But, let's put this in perspective... If you wanted a good quality zoom lens for a 35mm still camera, you wouldn't expect to pay much more than $6,500... Why? Because they make a bunch of them, so they can amortise the cost over a lot of units and keep the price down..

Let's hope (hope being the operative word here) that is the philosophy being applied to these lenses which will be produced in great numbers, and designed to work with the new electronic wizardry of CAC tecnology..

Like I said, hope... Cuz I laid down cold hard cash for one...
Old June 5th, 2007, 07:04 PM   #10
Trustee

Steve,

I hope it works for all of us. But those special lenses are good enough then we can do regular shooting, then rent a real HD lens when we need, too.

It looks like I have to get that Fujinon lens for now.
Kaku Ito is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders