P2 into an Apple G4 Powerbook at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old June 13th, 2007, 03:43 AM   #1
New Boot

P2 into an Apple G4 Powerbook

I have an HVX-200 on the way, and I have been reading on this forum that you can use an older style powerbook to download a P2 card. I did not see any specifics with regard to particular software needed to do that. I seem to recall that someone wrote you can use the Powerbook just to download, then save to an external HD, and then import into FCP on a more up to date desktop/macbook pro. Is this true, and how is it done?

Also, my G4 is an old 867mHz with only 1GB of SDRAM. Is that powerful enough to get the job done?

I am shooting a feature in the fall on location and I am trying to keep my workflow simple and inexpensive. If the G4 can work, it will save me having to buy a P2 Store and I can put that $$$ into extra lenses to go with my Brevis (awesome) or maybe even feed people (important...although lenses are pretty cool!)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am new here and have not mastered the ease of everything offered here, so if this is a redundant question, please be kind enough to direct me to the appropriate thread.

Thanks.

David Zaugh

www.zaughphotography.com
David Zaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2007, 09:23 AM   #2
Major Player

Does that PB have a Type II CardBus slot?
David Saraceno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2007, 01:08 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I use my powerbook with P2 cards all the time. iit's my preferred method for offloading footage.

that said, with your powerbook, i don't know if you could actually watch the footage - you could surely copy it to your hard drive and clear off the card, but i don't know if your machine's got the cajones to play 720p. 1080i is right out.
Jason Boyce is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders