Canon PowerShot SX1 IS w/HD - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others)
HD from Nikon D90, other still photo cams (except EOS 5D Mk. II, LUMIX GH1).

Old March 6th, 2010, 09:10 AM   #31
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mullen View Post
Cute, but when shooting video you have NO control -- other than WB -- over image.

I could find no AR/AF lock button, and Canon rep claimed there isn't one. Which means exposure fluctuations. I think I remember AF can be switched to MF. I came to PMA think this was an interesting choice, but the video was way over saturated. I'd seen this on a sample of its video. And, very high contrast. I assume it can al be adjusted, but I'm surprised the default is so poor.

The frame-rate is 30.0fps not 29.97fps.
I downloaded some footage from this camera and noticed the things you mentioned in this post as well. Fortunately I found that converting the clips to a more editable .avi format with Cineform Neo Scene corrected both the frame rate (slowing it down ever so slightly to 29.97) and the gama (converting it from cRGB to sRGB). The converted footage has the right frame rate and gamma curve for editing into a regular HDV or HD project and actually looks very good.

Anyway, I found a good deal on a refurbished SX-1 ($399 if you do a Google products search) and just ordered one yesterday. I will be using it mainly as a second and B-Roll camera. The rolling shutter looks similar to my Sony HVR-Z7 which is also a CMOS camera and which I find is fine in actual practice. The idea for me is that instead of carrying around my Z7 and a still camera, my still camera will double as a second video camera. I will post here how it works out.
Laurence Kingston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others)