Casio EX-F1 Review -- part 5 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others)

Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others)
HD from Nikon D90, other still photo cams (except EOS 5D Mk. II, LUMIX GH1).

Old January 30th, 2009, 10:54 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Just trying to make sure I understand this:

To avoid the HD video exposure bug you described, one needs to toggle the AE/AF lock once after power up. From that point on, use the half shutter press + AE/AF lock operation, then press the record button.

Did a full set of A/B test recordings against my Canon HF10 this AM with various contrast and dynamic range expand values on the EX-F1 under a variety of light conditions. Except at the lowest light conditions (very dark), the EX-F1 720P mode was superior.

Thank you for the details on the workings of the contrast and dynamic range settings, its great to have this kind of control on a consumer camera.

Cheers,

Michael
Michael Eskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2009, 07:17 PM   #17
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Eskin View Post
Except at the lowest light conditions (very dark), the EX-F1 720P mode was superior.

Thank you for checking against your HF10. Glad to know I'm not going crazy. If I had to put a word on the F1 video quality -- I would use "clean." No aliasing on thin lines. I hate to say it, but more like film than video.

Please let us know if the AE on/off keeps you free of the bug. I showed the bug to a Casio rep at CES with his camera. It would be nice if they released a firmware fix.

----------------

The real advantage of the half-press is if you wait for the focus indicator to go green. Now you know you are in perfect focus!

And, you can use the various types of focus -- I assume.

The same may be true of the various types of exposure sensing. Hopefully, pressing AE/AF locks the current focus distance (after going green) and the current exposure reading from the half-press.

This is a powerful SLR type feature on a video camera.
Old February 1st, 2009, 02:33 PM   #18
Regular Crew

I had a chance to really test out the EX-F1 at a horse show yesterday. Its certainly not the best digital camera I've owned in terms of image quality, but the ability of the camera to get the image I need from a stream of fast action more than makes up for the need to post process the images.

Here's a few shots from the show. The better versions of the HD videos are on Vimeo (Note: Vimeo seems to be having some issues this morning, 2/1), links below. The photos are resized to 1024x768 for online viewing.

Equine Affaire 2009 - a set on Flickr

As a video camera, I'm impressed. Here's a couple of test shots from the same event:

HD of my wife having some fun with a little Haflinger:

Cute Haflinger horse at Equine Affaire 2009 on Vimeo

Edited SD Slo-mo of a 19 hand Shire horse and rider:

Jena and Big John on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Next, I have to get some ND filters to try and improve the HD video strobing. I tried a standard polarizing filter (its what I had in 62mm diameter) figuring it would act as a -2 ND, but it seemed to create other issues with focus and exposure. I'll have to try a circular polarizing filter instead.

Last edited by Michael Eskin; February 1st, 2009 at 03:30 PM.
Old February 2nd, 2009, 02:55 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Tried some tests this morning with stacking a 62mm linear polarizing filter in front of a 62mm circular polarizing filter, with the circular polarizer on the camera side. I was able to use them as a controllable neutral density filter to reduce motion strobing on the HD video, but whenever I use the stacked filters, I'm getting this general washed out appearance on the video, like every gets gained up a bit too much. Same results for circular on circular, linear on linear, always washed out.

Not sure what is causing this. Using a single polarizer, no problem, using any combination of two polarizers, image is washed out. Almost doesn't seem to matter on the orientation of the polarizers.

If I had to ask for one feature in a future firmware upgrade it would be to display the actual shutter speed, f-stop, and gain in use during video shooting. Even if I can't control it directly using on-camera controls, at least it would be useful to help me find the right filter sets to use to reduce strobing.

Steve, how were you able to determine the actual exposure for the video based on exposure value, did you extrapolate from the photo EV ND filter/f-stop/shutter?

Anyone else tried stacked polarizers yet?

Michael

Last edited by Michael Eskin; February 2nd, 2009 at 04:11 PM.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 08:11 PM   #20
HDV Cinema

Quote:

Edited SD Slo-mo of a 19 hand Shire horse and rider:

Jena and Big John on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
WOW!

Absolutely wonderful!

I've found I can mix slomo and 720p. The quality difference seems to add to the slomo -- in fact one could sepia the slomo clip to make it stand-out more. Although color worked great with your video.

How are you editing?

I know nothing about polarizing filters and video.
Old February 4th, 2009, 01:19 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Steve, I'm trying to figure out based on the EX-F1 video exposure solution you came up with, what would the ND requirements be to minimize strobing in bright sun conditions for shooting HD videos of fast action (horses).

Looks to me that having a single polarizer gives about a 2 EV decrease, so perhaps that's sufficient. Time to run some experiments!

Editing is with Vegas 7. Much easier than dealing with AVCHD, where I had to transcode everything to Cineform for editing. I still have that option with the EX-F1, but don't have to.
Old February 4th, 2009, 09:39 AM   #22
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Steve, I'm trying to figure out based on the EX-F1 video exposure solution you came up with, what would the ND requirements be to minimize strobing in bright sun conditions for shooting HD videos of fast action (horses).
I bought a 3-stop which is OK, but a greater reduction would be fine (6-stop), but very expensive ($120). Some say you can stack two 3-stop. Some say you can't. One 3-stop and one 6-stop would be ideal.
Old February 6th, 2009, 11:13 AM   #23
New Boot

These ND filters don't increase noise?
Nicolas Morenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2009, 12:00 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Why would they, assuming sufficient light to keep the shutter speed relatively slow and the ISO low?
Old February 7th, 2009, 12:57 PM   #25
New Boot

Ok, so it's not the same to rec on low light, than filter the amount received by the lens ;)
I'm still learning ;)
Nicolas Morenas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others)