BestMan custom video BS presets for EX-F1? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others)

Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others)
HD from Nikon D90, other still photo cams (except EOS 5D Mk. II, LUMIX GH1).

Old January 29th, 2009, 10:59 AM   #1
Regular Crew

BestMan custom video BS presets for EX-F1?

I very much appreciate all the great info that Steve Mullen and the rest of you have posted here. I just bought my EX-F1 yesterday, trying out all the exposure control tips posted in the other threads. So far its looking like I might just be able to replace my Canon HF10 with the EX-F1, the workflow certainly is simpler. With the EX-F1 I don't have to convert to Cineform to edit in Vegas 7 as I do with the AVCHD files from the HF10.

I'm quite curious about the use of BestMan for creating custom video BS settings for the F1. I'm familiar with the app from previous experience with Casio point-and-shoots, but wondering, has anyone found it useful on the F1 for video.

At this point, I'm just using the non-BS modes for video, with contrast and dynamic range set to +1, using the half-press + AE/AF lock procedure described. I can imagine that there might be some use in having various custom BS presets for different contrast/dynamic range setups based on scene contrast...

Cheers and thanks,

Michael Eskin
San Diego, CA
Michael Eskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2009, 12:25 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Casio f1

Custom video BS presets for EX-F1?

I sent a email to Casio about this and they replied that there were no custom video BS presets for EX-F1.

A work around for this is:

To enable the F1 to have custom video BS presets after turning the camera off/on, set the CS Dial to Bracketing (BKT), Mode Dial to BS and choose Night Scene. Now the camera will remember changes made when you turn off/on. I have found Night Scene, Soft flowing Water, Night Scene Portrait and Fireworks all remember their settings when the camera is turned off/on and the CS Dial is set to BKT.
Daniel Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2009, 07:09 PM   #3
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Eskin View Post

I'm quite curious about the use of BestMan for creating custom video BS settings for the F1. I'm familiar with the app from previous experience with Casio point-and-shoots, but wondering, has anyone found it useful on the F1 for video.

... using the half-press + AE/AF lock procedure described.
I bought BM and made a nice set of custom video settings. Unfortunately, the F1 will not use them.

----------

Night Scene, Night Scene Portrait and Fireworks all turn OFF IS which is not what you want if you are hand holding. Of course, since you really should be using tripod -- these BS modes may be perfect. :)

Soft flowing Water MAY lower the shutter-speed, but it also decreases sharpness. I can't think of any reason one would want decrease sharpness. The process of editing and burning BD leads to inherent softer pictures.

Please see my comments on using half-shutter for video.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others)