Canon EOS Rebel T1i D-SLR with HD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others)

Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others)
HD from Nikon D90, other still photo cams (except EOS 5D Mk. II, LUMIX GH1).

Old March 24th, 2009, 10:03 PM   #1
Obstreperous Rex

Canon EOS Rebel T1i D-SLR with HD

CANON U.S.A. INTRODUCES THE EOS REBEL T1i DIGITAL SLR CAMERA
THE FIRST REBEL DSLR TO FEATURE HD VIDEO CAPTURE

Canon Breaks the $1,000 Mark Again with the First EOS Rebel Camera to Feature
HD Movie Recording Capabilities, DIGIC 4 Imaging Processor and 15.1 Megapixel Resolution

LAKE SUCCESS, N.Y., March 25, 2009 – Canon U.S.A., Inc., a leader in digital imaging, today introduced a new addition to its Rebel lineup, the EOS Rebel T1i Digital SLR camera, the first in the Rebel line to feature Full HD video capture. The new Canon Rebel T1i SLR incorporates some of the best technologies from the EOS 50D and EOS 5D Mark II models into an entry-level juggernaut. With a 15.1 megapixel CMOS sensor and HD video capture, along with the DIGIC 4 Imaging Processor, the Rebel T1i gives aspiring photographers plenty of reason to step-up to the latest and greatest model in the Rebel lineup.

The new Canon EOS Rebel T1i raises the entry-level bar with a host of enhanced Canon technologies now available in an entry-level DSLR. Along with the boost in megapixels and Canon’s most advanced imaging processor to-date, this latest Rebel camera has also been enhanced with HD video capture, a 3.0-inch Clear View LCD (920,000 dots/VGA) monitor and user-friendly functions such as Auto Lighting Optimizer, Creative Auto Mode and Canon’s Live View modes, all the right tools to open new doors for imaging enthusiasts. From high-resolution to high-definition, the new EOS Rebel T1i Digital SLR camera helps to give creative consumers a jumpstart on the next evolution in digital imaging.

“We are witnessing the emergence of a new phase in digital imaging history, as high-resolution still images and HD video can now both be produced in a hand-held device, for under $1,000. This is truly a great time to be involved in digital imaging as the advent of online communities are helping usher in this next great era in imaging,” stated Yuichi Ishizuka, senior vice president and general manager, Consumer Imaging Group, Canon U.S.A.

The muscle behind Canon’s new EOS Rebel T1i camera is the DIGIC 4 Imaging Processor with 14-bit analog-to-digital conversion and the ability to process full HD video. The Canon EOS Rebel T1i Digital SLR offers continuous shooting at 3.4 fps for up to 170 large/fine JPEG images or up to nine RAW images in a single burst when using a class 6 or higher SD or SDHC memory card. Whether capturing wildlife on the run or a child mid-stride on the soccer field, users will appreciate the fast shooting capabilities of the Rebel T1i Digital SLR camera.

With the combination of its 15.1-megapixel APS-C size CMOS image sensor and the powerful new DIGIC 4 image processor, the Canon EOS Rebel T1i camera provides ISO speeds from ISO 100 up to ISO 3200 in whole stop increments, along with two additional high-speed ISO settings – H1: 6400 and H2: 12800.

The EOS Rebel T1i Digital SLR utilizes a precise nine-point Autofocus (AF) system and AF sensor for enhanced subject detection. The new EOS Rebel T1i DSLR provides a cross-type AF measurement at the center that is effective with all EF and EF-S lenses, while providing enhanced precision with lenses having maximum apertures of f/2.8 or faster. The cross-type AF measurement reads a wider variety of subject matter than conventional single-axis AF sensors and thus increases the new camera’s ability to autofocus quickly and accurately when shooting still images.

The EOS Rebel T1i camera is compatible with Canon’s complete line of over 60 Canon EF and EF-S lenses, to help provide an incredible variety of visual effects to both still and video imaging capture, including ultra-wide-angle and fish-eye to macro and super-telephoto. This includes all of Canon’s large-aperture EF L-series professional lenses.

HD and SD Video Capture
After the introduction of the EOS 5D Mark II in September 2008, the Company’s first HD video DSLR, Canon has integrated this must-have feature into the new entry-level flagship EOS Rebel T1i camera. The camera features 16:9 720p HD video capture at 30 fps as well as a Full HD 1080p video capture at 20 fps, and a third option to record 4:3 standard TV quality (SD) video capture at 640 x 480 pixels and 30 fps. The video capture mode is part of the camera’s Live View function, using the Picture Style that has been set for Live View still image shooting. The camera allows skilled photographers and enthusiasts to adjust image sharpness, contrast, color saturation and white balance, and have those settings apply to the movie image as well. When recording video, the camera’s rear LCD screen is letter-boxed by a semi-transparent border to match the aspect ratio of the movie recording size.

Like the EOS 5D Mark II model, the EOS Rebel T1i camera will record video up to 4GB per clip equaling approximately 12 minutes of Full HD video, 18 minutes of 720p HD video, or 24 minutes of SD video depending on the level of detail in the scene.[i] Video clips are recorded in .MOV format using an MPEG-4 video compression and sound is recorded using linear PCM[ii] without compression. The camera features a built-in monaural microphone to record sound. To help show off those fantastic movies as well as still photos, the EOS Rebel T1i camera includes an HDMI (High-Definition Multimedia Interface) output to display crisp, clear images on a High-Definition TV.

Live View Shooting
Much like the EOS 5D Mark II, the Canon EOS Rebel T1i camera features Live View for both still images as well as video. The Rebel T1i features the Company’s three Live View AF modes – Quick, Live and Face Detection Live mode – which can be used to capture still photos or video images. Quick mode automatically sets One-Shot AF using the camera’s phase detection AF system. It also allows users to select the AF point, even while the Live View image is displayed. Although the camera’s reflex mirror must be lowered briefly to take an AF measurement in Quick mode, it is the fastest way to set focus automatically when the Rebel T1i camera is set for Live View.

Live mode uses contrast-detection AF with the image sensor and here, as with Quick mode, users can change the location of the active AF point using the Multi-controller. Face Detection Live mode uses contrast AF to recognize human faces. When multiple faces are detected, the largest face closest to the center of the frame is targeted as the AF point. While Live View is engaged, users can still change settings including the AF mode (Quick, Live, Face Detection Live mode), drive mode, ISO speed, Picture style, White Balance and more.

Auto Lighting Optimizer
Canon’s Auto Lighting Optimizer technology helps ensure that the subject of each picture is clearly visible by analyzing image brightness and automatically adjusting dark areas in images so they appear brighter. This is ideal when shooting high-contrast situations that include harsh shadow areas, such as landscape images where the foreground is brightly lit and the background detail blanketed in dark shadow. In a scene such as this, the EOS Rebel T1i camera’s Auto Lighting Optimizer technology maintains exposure of the highlight areas while lightening shadow areas for a more enjoyable and evenly illuminated image. The EOS Rebel T1i also supports Peripheral Illumination Correction for up to 40 Canon EF and EF-S lenses.

Canon’s Creative Auto Mode
Canon’s “CA” Creative Full Auto setting available on the EOS Rebel T1i, EOS 50D and EOS 5D Mark II cameras allows users to make image adjustments such as exposure compensation, aperture or shutter speed through a simple navigation screen on the camera’s LCD screen, allowing them to “blur the background” or “lighten or darken the image” with ease. These easy-to-understand image options allow learning-photographers to experiment with image options while still shooting in an automatic mode.

EOS Integrated Cleaning System
With the introduction of the EOS Rebel T1i camera, the entire Canon EOS system is now equipped with the highly acclaimed EOS Integrated Cleaning System. The Self-Cleaning Sensor Unit for the Canon EOS Rebel T1i has been upgraded with a fluorine coating on the low-pass filter for better dust resistance.

Pricing and Availability
The Canon EOS Rebel T1i Digital SLR Camera is scheduled for delivery by early May and will be sold in a body-only configuration which includes a rechargeable battery pack and charger, USB and video cables, a neckstrap, an EOS Solutions Disk CD and a 1-year Canon U.S.A., Inc. limited warranty at an estimated retail price of $799.99[iii]. It will additionally be offered in a kit version with Canon’s EF-S18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS zoom lens at an estimated retail price of $899.99[iv].

Canon Speedlite 270EX
The new Canon Speedlite 270EX, the successor to the 220EX Speedlite model, is a compact, lightweight external flash option for Canon cameras including select Canon PowerShot models. Ideal for use with the new EOS Rebel T1i, the new Speedlite 270EX uses only two AA batteries and enables bounce flash shooting with four position steps from 0 degrees to 90 degrees. Like Canon’s high-end Speedlite flash models, the 270EX allows users to control flash functions and input settings using the camera’s LCD monitor[v]. The flash also features a quick-lock mechanism and a metal mounting foot for secure and easy attachment and reliable contact.

About Canon U.S.A., Inc.
Canon U.S.A., Inc., is a leading provider of consumer, business-to-business, and industrial digital imaging solutions. Its parent company, Canon Inc. (NYSE:CAJ), a top patent holder of technology, ranked third overall in the U.S. in 2008†, with global revenues of US $45 billion, is listed as number seven in the computer industry on Fortune Magazine's World’s Most Admired Companies 2008 list, and is on the 2008 BusinessWeek list of "Top 100 Brands." At Canon, we care because caring is essential to living together in harmony. Founded upon a corporate philosophy of Kyosei - - “all people, regardless of race, religion or culture, harmoniously living and working together into the future” - - Canon U.S.A. supports a number of social, youth, educational and other programs, including environmental and recycling initiatives. Additional information about these programs can be found at About Canon: Corporate Philosophy.

# # #

†Based on weekly patent counts issued by United States Patent and Trademark Office.

All referenced product names, and other marks, are trademarks of their respective owners.

Prices are estimated retail prices. Actual selling prices are set by dealers and may vary.

HDMI, the HDMI logo and High-Definition Multimedia Interface are trademarks or registered trademarks of HDMI Licensing LLC.

Prices, specifications and availability are subject to change without notice.

[i]According to Canon’s standard test methods.
[ii]A method of converting audio and other analog signals into digital data. It is recorded without any compression.
[iii] Prices are estimated retail prices and subject to change at any time. Actual prices are determined by individual dealers and may vary.
[iv] Prices are estimated retail prices and subject to change at any time. Actual prices are determined by individual dealers and may vary.
[v] When using the EOS-1Ds Mark III, EOS-1D Mark III, EOS 40D, EOS Rebel XSi, EOS Rebel XS, EOS Rebel T1i, PowerShot G9, PowerShot G10, PowerShot SX1 IS, PowerShot SX10 IS, PowerShot SX200 IS or PowerShot S5 IS.
Attached Thumbnails
Canon EOS Rebel T1i D-SLR with HD-rebelt1i-.jpg   Canon EOS Rebel T1i D-SLR with HD-rebelt1i-b.jpg  

Canon EOS Rebel T1i D-SLR with HD-rebelt1i-c.jpg   Canon EOS Rebel T1i D-SLR with HD-rebelt1i-d.jpg  

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2009, 10:07 PM   #2
Major Player

According to the specs:

1080P at 20 frames per second.

I just don't understand???? What use is a non standard like that? Might serve to confuse consumers more ... at least make it 29.97 or 30fps ...
Michael Galvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2009, 10:08 PM   #3
Trustee

I had a feeling they were going to announce this around midnight and I was right.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2009, 10:10 PM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Galvan View Post
According to the specs:

1080P at 20 frames per second.
I’m sure they meant to say either 24 or 30.
Old March 24th, 2009, 10:11 PM   #5
Major Player

Nope, it's definitely 20. Straight from Canon itself:

Canon EOS Digital Rebel T1i

I understand not offering a mic input and such as this is their lower line, but making a non-standard framerate for their video may just confuse their intended market.
Old March 24th, 2009, 10:17 PM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

It's not a typo. They really do mean 20fps. It's a photo camera designed by the photo division... either they did not consult with their video side, or they didn't have the horsepower for 24p (or 25p or 30p), or they felt it had to be less than the 5D Mk. II. Or maybe it's all of the above... I doubt anyone outside of Canon Inc. knows the real reason.

Old March 24th, 2009, 10:19 PM   #7
Trustee

It's hard to believe Canon did that. Panasonic will be having a party if that’s really true. Anyway, the SX1 does 1920x1080 30p.
Old March 24th, 2009, 10:20 PM   #8
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Galvan View Post
...making a non-standard framerate for their video may just confuse their intended market.
I disagree. I don't think we're their intended market. Their intended market doesn't give a hoot about video frame rates... for years these folks have been happy with 15fps VGA video out of their little PowerShots. Seriously, this Rebel is going to sell very well with 1080 at 20fps... but very few people *here* will be buying it for that reason though.

Old March 24th, 2009, 10:24 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Suicide? Really?

Canon Rebel T1i Hands-On: 50D's Sensor, 1080p Vids, $899 (!!)

It does 720p at 30fps and it's $200 cheaper than the D90. Given it's based on 5dMkII tech, I'd presume the video has far less skew than the D90 as well. It would seem the camera just doesn't have the bandwidth to do 24fps in 1080, but I'm pretty sure most people buying a sub-$1k DSLR will be happy with 720p. Dunno why they can't add 720p/24p mode, though...

Still, the last thing I would call it is "suicide." At the very least it gives us hope that the 5d MkII can be firmware upgraded to 24p -- the encoding chip, etc. doesn't seem to be hardwired to 30p.

R
Ryan Koo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2009, 10:25 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
I disagree. I don't think we're their intended market. Their intended market doesn't give a hoot about video frame rates... for years these folks have been happy with 15fps VGA video out of their little PowerShots.
Sorry if my comment was confusing, but I was saying that it would be confusing for their intended market (which isn't us, but rather people who probably have no idea what framerates for video are aka the everyman). I would've thought doing 15fps or 30fps would make more sense for this market.
Old March 24th, 2009, 10:38 PM   #11
Obstreperous Rex

Fully agree with Ryan (and thanks for posting the Gizmodo hands-on link, you beat me to it).

There's gonna be an uproar among the filmmaker crowd over this, but it'll barely be a whimper relative to the size of this camera's customer base. Everybody out there will be overjoyed that it has an HD mode, and 99.97% of those folks aren't going to care about the 20fps frame rate. They'll be thrilled just to have the video mode.

720p30 definitely has some promise for our crowd, though!

Old March 24th, 2009, 10:50 PM   #12
Trustee

I guess Panasonic will need to postpone the party since it’ll take away some of the momentum the G1 was starting to get. Competition is good and 20p may be awkward but at least it may cause Panasonic to price the GH1 a little bit better then they planned.

Anyone see what the bit rate is for 720 30p?
Old March 24th, 2009, 10:52 PM   #13
Major Player

Well at least it has 720/30p but I'm alittle disappointed with the lack of articulating lcd and crippled 1080 . I guess this will keep the gh1 interest high . I bet Canon didn't decide these factors until the last few weeks . The lcd is a marketing mistake . And how much exposure control does video have ? That's the unanswered question ? This is possibly another area where the gh1 will shine . Another 5dmkll videoworkarounds will turn alot of people away.
Kurth Bousman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2009, 10:56 PM   #14
Obstreperous Rex

No D-SLR, Canon or otherwise, has ever had an articulating LCD.

The lack of one on the Rebel T1i is not a "mistake" but a fully expected continuation of the established D-SLR design.

Meanwhile: http://web.canon.jp/imaging/eosd/samples/eos500d/

Old March 25th, 2009, 12:20 AM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
No D-SLR, Canon or otherwise, has ever had an articulating LCD.

The lack of one on the Rebel T1i is not a "mistake" but a fully expected continuation of the established D-SLR design.
Actually, the Panasonic GH1 and Olympus E30 both have articulating LCD screens, and they're DSLRs, or in the GH1's case, an ILC (according to Panasonic, due to no mirror).
Jacob Mason is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others)