Do any of the VDSLRs have uncompressed HDMI feed? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others)
HD from Nikon D90, other still photo cams (except EOS 5D Mk. II, LUMIX GH1).

Old August 4th, 2009, 03:00 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Do any of the VDSLRs have uncompressed HDMI feed?

I know I've read about some workarounds, and the potential upcoming ML hack to get a better HDMI feed from the 5DMKII, but do any of the current VDSLRs (or DSLRs, for that matter) have a high quality, uncompressed, HD output that can be captured by card or other external recorder to a quality codec (i.e. into ProRes or Cineform)? Obviously this adds complexity and cost to the capture process, but is it possible right now? Or is this something that will have to wait for a Canon update or the Nikon D7xx or...?

Thanks.
Trip Gould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2009, 10:20 AM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip Gould View Post
... but do any of the current VDSLRs (or DSLRs, for that matter) have a high quality, uncompressed, HD output that can be captured by card or other external recorder to a quality codec (i.e. into ProRes or Cineform)? ...

Thanks.
Sad to say, but the answer is no.
Bill Koehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2009, 10:41 AM   #3
Major Player

D300s maybe?

There is a small possibility that the D300s has uncompressed HDMI out. I'm trying to find a concrete answer, but failed so far. Its not on the press material and no photo journalist cared to ask this very importand question. The general assumption is that if it's not mentioned as a feature, it's not possible. Personally I haven't lost all hope and wait for the first hands on review.
Emmanuel Plakiotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2009, 11:13 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Kind of the whole ball of wax for me.

With a proper HDMI feed one could use a Nano Flash to get nice video and avoid anything audio from the camera.

Also would allow monitoring which is critical for HD work.

I called Canon a few weeks ago and had a discussion with the rep about this and he logged it as an official feature request.

I am not holding any breath but maybe...
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2009, 11:08 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Also, just to be clear, I was wondering if the live preview mode is FullHD prior to recording? Without pressing record, could you capture the continuously streaming live view feed over HDMI (just as you would send it to a monitor for preview) to a nanoFlash or similar? Or is the live view mode not robust enough to do real-time capture. It would be an interesting option if so, but only if the live view output is FullHD, of course. But a GH1 or 5D or K7 or D300s to a nanoFlash would be quite an impressive thing I would imagine.
Trip Gould is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others)